• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers are 4-0 against top 5 defenses in the league.

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, Moose Hoover said:

Reading on their site I keep seeing a recurring phrase: "battle tested." Can someone explain to me why they consider their team battle tested? I'm not even saying that they aren't, just not sure exactly what they mean...they were destroyed in the last SB they played and bounced out of the div playoffs last year.

Hi Broncos fan here. We're referring to our team this year being battle tested. We've won 11 close games this year which is actually a record. Plus, we've had our share of missing or hurt players. I think you guys have a great team but, you're really underestimating us. Of course, everyone has underestimated us all year. We've won 2 games this year w/o an offensive TD. We went 7-2 w/a qb throwing 9 tds & 17 ints. We went 5-2 w/a backup qb who never started an NFL game. That's why we're the Number 1 D & it's not even close.

34 minutes ago, Broncos Girl said:

Hi Broncos fan here. We're referring to our team this year being battle tested. We've won 11 close games this year which is actually a record. Plus, we've had our share of missing or hurt players. I think you guys have a great team but, you're really underestimating us. Of course, everyone has underestimated us all year. We've won 2 games this year w/o an offensive TD. We went 7-2 w/a qb throwing 9 tds & 17 ints. We went 5-2 w/a backup qb who never started an NFL game. That's why we're the Number 1 D & it's not even close.

There's no doubt that Denver has had a great year, and has ridden their wonderful defense.  But you have to understand where our confidence is coming from.  Everyone knows the formula for beating us right?  Then why hasn't anyone done it in the play offs?  I mean, both Seattle and Arizona has plenty of personal experience with us the past few years, they traded notes even!  Yet in both games, we won.  We ran out to a 31-0 first half lead against Seattle's vaunted D.  We clubbed the Cards.  Everyone knows to win you keep Cam in the pocket, bracket Olsen, and stop the run right?

Denver does have an excellent defense, with two great pass rushers, and a very good secondary.  But y'all haven't been as great against the run, and I'd argue that no one does it as well as we do.  We live and die by the run, and low and behold, we've tended to live pretty well.

On the flip side, do you see your team scoring 24 points against us?  Considering Manning has an issue taking care of the ball this year, and our defense is the best at taking it away, Denver would need to score at least 24 to have a shot.

Then again, I am willing to bet (idea only, not actual betting) that the winning team of Super Bowl 50 will force more turnover and run the ball the best.  Those are two major keys to being successful.  And that is why we are so confident as a team and fanbase.

1 hour ago, Broncos Girl said:

That doesn't really mean a whole lot when the majority of teams you've played were either mediocre or good but just decimated by injury. 

In regards to having missing or hurt players, Denver has been the luckiest team in the league this year with regards to injuries. Source: https://www.mangameslost.com/nfl-regular-season-end-games-missed-due-to-injury-january-4-2016/

And the team you beat in the AFCCG was the polar opposite - most injured team in the NFL.

Carolina is relatively healthy (Davis broke his arm but looks good to go for the SB) and they have no glaring weaknesses. Strong run game, good Oline, efficient pass game, and a stout and opportunistic defense that is the best in the league at taking the ball away from the opposition. 

1 minute ago, 15 said:

This new poster "tarheels" is one of the most annoying trolls this board has seen in a while. I can live with poo talking Seattle fans and even our own village idiots like PanthersUnited, but this dude has the most ridiculous theories and logic I've ever seen and truly believes every word he types. All while rocking a Ricky Proehl avatar, claiming to be a "general NFL fan" and going thread to thread explaining how we're going to lose. 

I'm not sure he even believes the poo he's saying..  It's cool if Broncos fans want to be optimistic about their team cuz they're fans and they are supposed to feel that way, but this guy just sounds dumb. I'm honestly struggling to think of a scenario where this is a close game. Maybe if Cam throws four picks. 

BTW, what makes Denver more battle tested than the Panthers? Close games? We had a few close games too, including a come from behind win on the road against the Seahawks when everybody and their brother picked against us. 

This Panthers team has won shootouts and they have won defensive battles. They have jumped out to big leads and they have had to come from behind. They have survived the loss of their best WR before the season even started,  they have survived the loss of Luke for about  a month, and they have survived the loss of two starting DB's, and have only gotten better through all of that. This team is as battle tested as anybody in the NFL.

As for Super Bowl experience...that crap is irrelevant. IT's not like there are different rules for this game...it's still just 60 minutes of football, just like all the others, and plenty of first timers have won it. Our QB will not shrink away from the challenge, I guarantee you that.

4 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

BTW, what makes Denver more battle tested than the Panthers? Close games? We had a few close games too, including a come from behind win on the road against the Seahawks when everybody and their brother picked against us. 

This Panthers team has won shootouts and they have won defensive battles. They have jumped out to big leads and they have had to come from behind. They have survived the loss of their best WR before the season even started,  they have survived the loss of Luke for about  a month, and they have survived the loss of two starting DB's, and have only gotten better through all of that. This team is as battle tested as anybody in the NFL.

As for Super Bowl experience...that crap is irrelevant. IT's not like there are different rules for this game...it's still just 60 minutes of football, just like all the others, and plenty of first timers have won it. Our QB will not shrink away from the challenge, I guarantee you that.

I agree. It's just something they're telling themselves to make them feel better. It's not like Denver has been going to the SB and winning championships year in and year out recently. Their one and only SB appearance in the last 17 years was 2 years ago when they got smoked and humiliated on the national stage.

18 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Weren't the Panthers the first team in history to be losing in OT and still win? Add in SEA and the Giants. Yeah I'd go to battle with these guys and test them.

2 hours ago, Broncos Girl said:

Welcome! And, yes, we are probably underestimating the Broncos. We are fans, that's what we do. But what Bronco fans fail to ask, and these are the big questions, is why were so many of your games close & has any of that changed in the playoffs? The answer to the 2nd question is no. You won over a truly beat up Steelers team by 1 score and beat the Pats, another truly beat up team, by only 2 points. Honestly, the Broncos squeaked into the Super Bowl. Which doesn't mean your team isn't good, just that they have weaknesses that they have not addressed. And it is those weaknesses that will have them struggling & losing the game because your strengths this time will not be enough.

6 hours ago, panthers55 said:

The truth is we have beaten all comers with the exception of Atlanta at their house and that was still a 1 score game. Strength of schedule comparisons are highly suspect particularly when you play different opponents in different conferences.  Head to head the AFC had a losing record to the NFC 29-35 so really comparing  opponents strength of schedule of  teams  in a somewhat weaker conference is hardly something to crow about. 

As for taking folks off the street, both Finnegan and NcClain have done a good job for us. Carolina has a history of taking guys who struggled in other systems like Coleman, Ginn, ,Remmers among others and gotten the most out of them. That isn't a knock on the players simply a testament to our great coaches and systems.

Why not look more and post less until you understand our team more so your posts are more factual and believable and you won't appear such a troll.

Your strength of schedule remark is a generality. The Panthers and Patriots had  the 2 easiest  schedules in the league.

7 minutes ago, GRWatcher said:

Welcome! And, yes, we are probably underestimating the Broncos. We are fans, that's what we do. But what Bronco fans fail to ask, and these are the big questions, is why were so many of your games close & has any of that changed in the playoffs? The answer to the 2nd question is no. You won over a truly beat up Steelers team by 1 score and beat the Pats, another truly beat up team, by only 2 points. Honestly, the Broncos squeaked into the Super Bowl. Which doesn't mean your team isn't good, just that they have weaknesses that they have not addressed. And it is those weaknesses that will have them struggling & losing the game because your strengths this time will not be enough.

Perception-.. the close games may actually  mean the competition was tougher in the afc.

1 hour ago, 15 said:

This new poster "tarheels" is one of the most annoying trolls this board has seen in a while. I can live with poo talking Seattle fans and even our own village idiots like PanthersUnited, but this dude has the most ridiculous theories and logic I've ever seen and truly believes every word he types. All while rocking a Ricky Proehl avatar, claiming to be a "general NFL fan" and going thread to thread explaining how we're going to lose. 

WHAT Does My Choice of avatar  have to do with anything?

So, I say something you disagree with and don't understand, therefore it needs to be classified as trolling or a negative?

I've said very basic logical things.

But because they don't praise and worship your favorite team,you have a problem with it. Did you not notice my favorable Cam comments about his celebrating? You ignore that I was helpful to you looking for super bowl patches?

It's just sports talk. Absolutely nothing to make a big deal about unless I insult you etc.

Just now, tarheels said:

Perception-.. the close games may actually  mean the competition was tougher in the afc.

Passing the eye test, the AFC was only tougher for other AFC teams. Like I said in my other post to you, someone can be stupid for a very long time. Pulling "logic" out of the air doesn't work because perception is inherently subjective.

Archived