• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Riveras Response to Giving Up Big Leads

chknwing

I was at the game & tonight I watched it again on Game Pass. I sure as hell would like to know what Carroll said to them at halftime because they were a totally different team in the 2nd half. You have to give them that. And Gano's lousy kickoff & Lockett's return plus penalty (which I still have not seen) gave them a big boost to start. I don't think our defense played conservatively in the 2nd half until about the 3 minute mark of the 4th quarter where we ended up forcing a FG; we just didn't make all the adjustments on defense needed until the end of the 3rd quarter. Their o-line stiffened even though we still got some pressure on Wilson. That 4th quarter TD was the old Wilson magic, his only magic throw of the game honestly. His other 2 were straight up good plays. 

The Seattle defense changed too. Our receivers were much better covered. Twice Cam had time but no where to throw the ball so, sack. They covered the gaps better so running against them was more difficult. As noted, we did not have any 3-and-out drives but their punts were deeper so we had further to go to score & did not get it done. Yes, a score would've had us all feeling better but we were winning the game. I don't believe we were necessarily sitting on our lead but I see no logic in taking risks to lose the lead we had. Cam forcing throws to covered receivers would've been very bad risks, we all know that.

These things will happen when you play better teams, especially in the playoffs. No one is going to give up halfway through the game. Every one of the 8 teams that played last weekend are capable of coming back.  That is why teams like the Browns & Cowboys are sitting at home.

This has happened way too many times this season to be a coincidence.

Get out to a big lead then throttle back and run conservative low risk plays on offense, bend don't break on defense, force our opponents run out the clock trying to even the score.

To Rivera's credit, it has worked so far... barely.

Don't see him changing till some team makes him pay with a loss.

8 hours ago, E CaT PanTHer 2 said:

well one was a stupid corner blitz from the best corner in all of football, allowing seattle's best WR to be one on one with a safety.

The other TD was a typical "chuck it up and pray for the best" prayers from wilson that Norman actually got a hand on it, but it magically landed perfectly in the receivers hand. 

we also played a soft zone practically the entire 2nd half, allowing everything underneath in attempts to prevent the long pass play. It was effective in the sense that Seattle completed a ton of 6-8 yard pass plays which kept the clock running, but it allowed them to methodically drive down the field and score at will. 

it looks like the clock was the only thing ron was focusing on, and at the end of the day, his plan worked b/c we won the game. 

This was a very good call, with Norman blitzing the receiver should have taken the out hitch bail out route which Coleman was coming in hard on. 

The problem was Kearse didn't have awareness enough to recognize this (or was told not to as Wilson lacks the awareness to use bail out routes anyway). McDermott simply overestimated the competition. 

And seriously, Seattle had what, 6-7?, large gains in circus catches and broken plays and still only got within seven points of overtime. I say going conservative was the right call. We won after all... 

Archived