• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Riveras Response to Giving Up Big Leads

chknwing

38 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

Unless you want the truth about what the fug happened in the second half.

Honestly we all know that the team went into a shell and played chickenshit football, but it wasn't necessarily the wrong call. What I don't agree with is the three straight runs up the gut every single possession resulting in several straight three and outs with no time taken off the clock.

Just one long, methodical drive with two or three first downs would have sealed the game in the third quarter. Just one touchdown drive would have been a dagger and would have sealed it. But instead they were content with taking off two minutes per possession and giving life to Seattle. 

Thats my biggest issue with what happened in the second half. 

Thats my biggest issue with what happened in the second half. 

I agree.  But, I also think that one more score early in the second by us would have made the hawks give up their will to put up a battle.  That is something I havent heard anyone else conjecture about.    I think that made it worth a substantial effort to score and score early - much more so than the effort that was given.

1 hour ago, E CaT PanTHer 2 said:

in rivera's defense, i think he had the right game plan in mind the 2nd half. 

31 is almost insurmountable ... imagine all those times he called running plays, we passed the ball instead and lets say on half of those passes, the results were incompletions. Do you know how much more time you'd add to the clock? You're talking about 35-40 seconds more on each play. 

that would have probably given seattle enough time to complete the comeback. 

you also minimize the chance of turning the ball over against one of the best secondaries in the league. 

i'm not saying he was entirely right, but I see his logic. 

either way, the result was a win, so we shouldn't be questioning our coaches decisions. 

True but if the half that were complete results in first downs,  that's more time plus better field position. If they lead to a score,  even better. Some of us are just concerned that if we have a lead against the Patriots or maybe even the Cardinals,  they have the QBs and offenses to maybe,  come all the way back. 

2 hours ago, Haplo E said:

I can tell Cam was pissed about the strategy. 

He was mostly pissed with getting the play calls late.  In fact, other than 2 3rd down calls, it didn't seem they really called the offensive plays much different.  The problem was they executed the plays conservatively.  It is just human nature.  Cam didn't want to make a mistake and refused to force any throw.  In these situations, ball carriers tend to take less chances as well.  It seems the players are just as much at fault.

Archived