• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peter King.. You had one job...

Jeremy Igo

Also, here's the important parts of the article so the Huddle doesn't give him more clicks.

What is NOT in this column:

• Stuff on the Panthers from my trip to Charlotte on Sunday. I’ll write about the Panthers later this week, focusing on Ron Rivera’s philosophical re-make of the team.

NFC Championship Game: No. 2 Arizona (14-3) at No.1 Carolina (16-1), Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, 6:40 p.m. Eastern Time, FOX.

The Carolina locker room was abuzz with talk about what they’d seen Saturday night in Arizona’s 26-20 overtime thrill ride over Green Bay. “What a game!” Ron Rivera said. And this from Josh Norman on the 32-playing-like-25 Larry Fitzgerald: “The guy is crafty. What’s the saying? The older you get the finer the wine. Is that what it is? The man is ballin’, and he’s doing it at a high level.” Carolina’s a strange team, capable of being dominant like no other, then letting teams off the hook. First half Sunday: Carolina 31, Seattle 0. Second half: Seattle 24, Carolina 0. “My fault,” said Rivera. “I’ve got to make sure we retain that sense of urgency.” Maybe … but the trend is concerning. Over the past six weeks, Carolina’s defense has surrendered 22 (New Orleans), 28 (Giants) and 24 (Seattle) points in the second half. The offense is always good enough to outscore people—all but once this year. Green Bay’s pressure packages got to Carson Palmer on Saturday night, so look for Carolina’s diverse and deep group of interior and exterior rushers—defensive tackle Kawann Short is growing to be a superstar before our eyes—to be turned loose by defensive coordinator Sean McDermott in Charlotte on Sunday. That makes shorter routes by Fitzgerald and emerging receiving weapon David Johnson (23 targets the past three weeks) important for Carolina to monitor. But Arizona coach Bruce Arians is going to call six or eight deep throws for Palmer, because that’s what he does. So Norman had better be ballin’ at a high level too.

Archived