• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Defensive play of the game...

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, MrBubba said:

Another huge defensive play was the Norman sack stopped that drive and their scoring momentum. We got ball back and burned several minutes, which were big at end.

Yes, and if memory serves, it was an instinctive play by Norman and not a called cb blitz.  It was just as big as any other play in the second half. 

Nice article in the Observer about why TD is on the hands team:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article55214010.html#storylink=mainstage

“They joke about it all the time. It was funny the first time I went out there everybody was like, ‘What’s TD doing out there? He’s walking out there with hands (team),’” Davis said. “But just know that in that situation I’m going to give everything that I have to the team and make sure I come away with that football.”

Seattle pulled off a successful onside kick in last year’s NFC Championship Game after Green Bay’s Brandon Bostick, who was supposed to block on the play, mishandled Hauschka’s kick. The Seahawks recovered and beat the Packers in overtime.

The Panthers watched video of the play Saturday night, and players were told to stick to their assignments and don’t try to do too much. In Davis’ case, that meant snaring Hauschka’s kick after it took a big bounce.

Special teams coordinator Bruce DeHaven says he puts the players on the field he believes can best win the game.

“Hands team is like a parachute,” DeHaven said. “Don’t need it very often, but when you do you really need it.”

Davis is now 2-for-2 in onside recoveries during his first season on the hands team. He also grabbed Dallas kicker Dan Bailey’s onside attempt near the end of the Panthers’ Thanksgiving Day win.

“He’s not an offensive guy and that’s why sometimes people wonder. But the thing about Thomas is when you need a play in a big game, put him in,” said middle linebacker Luke Kuechly, who’s on the front line of the hands team.

“We went out there for the onside kick and he’s back there, I don’t have to worry about anything,” Kuechly added. “I know he’s going to end up with that ball, regardless of the situation, whether he’s got to claw for it or whatever.”

2 hours ago, Donald LaFell said:

kind of amazing that TD was the hands guy but maybe that was by design? 

Definitely by design if you look at where he was on the field. The other guys were supposed to block for him, though Tolbert did not, and he was the guy to go up and make the catch.

Archived