• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could Raiders stuck in Oakland mean MLB to NC?

ctrcat

I would love for a MLB team to come to the Carolinas. Where im at in the state is baseball purgatory. I'm technically in the Nationals region for broadcasts but if you don't have direct tv, you can't get masn. Im outside of the Braves region, even though I get fox sports south. They black out the channel when a Braves game is on. Now if you wanted to get mlb.tv, you can do that, but it will black out every game in that region.  

That being said, Im content with the minor league teams we have here in the Carolina's. I love going to Durham Bulls games and was really impressed with the Knights stadium when I went to a game when I was in town for fan fest over the summer. 

42 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

The Charlotte A's

Sounds pretty cool

So does the Raleigh Raiders, or maybe the Spartanburg Raiders

Asheville A's?

Or maybe Gastonia Giants to get them the fug out of the Bay Area because they should have been playing in St. Petersburg decades ago. 

fuging Giants. 

Would be tough for me to let my allegiance to the Braves go, but if NC got a baseball team, I'd become a fan. 

I remember when I was a kid, there was talk of my hometown of Winston-Salem possibly getting a team. That wouldn't work, but I could see Raleigh getting one. 

Baseball is North Carolina. If there is one state in the US that could support a baseball team, this is it. People say it is a basketball state due to collegiate athletics, but no one knows exactly how well we could support a baseball team. I think filling a 45,000 seat stadium in good years would be no issue. See Carolina Hurricanes when they are performing, see Hornets when they played well, and the Panther's stadium is usually full(ish) due to PSL and resell values being outrageous this year.

1 hour ago, Montsta said:

Asheville A's?

Or maybe Gastonia Giants to get them the fug out of the Bay Area because they should have been playing in St. Petersburg decades ago. 

fuging Giants. 

Gastonia Giants would work, they could play in Sims Legion Park where Sammy Sosa, Pudge Rodriguez and Russell Wilson played

You think I'm kidding but I'm not

A baseball stadium wouldn't have to be gigantic.  You could have a cozy Fenway type place and seat 32k. Make the seats a premium. 

I'm a huge baseball guy and have had Knights season tixs and would love a team but the cost to get/run and keep would be tough.

MLS would actually be easier to support and you could share the stadium for football and other soccer events. 

For the MLS folks, Jim McPhilliamy, the owner of the Charlotte Independence has had a goal of MLS and been in the ear of Charlotte City Council and MLS powers that be for awhile.

IF that happens, then maybe just maybe the Triangle really does sit pretty in this situation to land The Show.

13 hours ago, CatMan72 said:

I'm happy with the Knights and their ticket prices, so no thanks... 

Charlotte has it just right IMO, major league football and basketball - quality minor league baseball and hockey. 

Never been to a NHL have you?  Baseball is baseball but NHL is way better that the Checkers. 

Archived