• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No way would the Panthers ever get that favorable TD review

Jeremy Igo

The TD should not have been.             While we are still in the dark about what a catch is and is not.   I did learn that after SS89 retires,  we should bring him back to be a positions coach.  Apparently position coaches are allowed to roam the open field,   cussing out opposing players,  egging them on,  instigating poo......and if another player reacts,  then 15 yard penalty.            SS89 could draw us several penalties on the other teams.    Then again, it was against the rules for Porter to be on the field anyway,   and much like that TD that would not have happened for us,  the moment SS89 stepped foot on the field,  we'd probably get a 60 yard penalty.

1 minute ago, Darth Biscuit said:

After watching it more, I actually think that he doesn't actually gain control of it until he's upside down in the air AFTER his second foot touches in bounds.

I think he is upside down too... but dude

HOW FUGGING COOL IS THAT CATCH!!!!!! Tosses it between his legs, while flipping, and secures it. I could watch that all day long.

4 minutes ago, MountainHeel66 said:

David Tyree anyone!? Agreed that if he had trapped it, tapped both feet, and THEN flipped out of the endzone its not only good but one of the greatest catches of all time. But that is NOT what happened.

yea, the tyree catch is the perfect example of a trapping catch.  the ball didn't budge.

Just now, MountainHeel66 said:

I think he is upside down too... but dude

HOW FUGGING COOL IS THAT CATCH!!!!!! Tosses it between his legs, while flipping, and secures it. I could watch that all day long.

No it's absolutely brilliant, that's a crazy amount of body control and an inate ability to know where the ball is.  Very impressive.

Unfortunately the way the rules are currently written (as I understand them) it wasn't a COMPLETED CATCH

Could not believe that was a catch. So what about that ODBJ catch (I think against the Cowboys) in the endzone where he caught had both feet in the endzone and then it got knocked out? He had control and both feet were in bounds. This, Bryant juggled a little and when he pinned it, only one foot was in. With ODBJ, what's the difference between that and a rb reaching over the goaline, ball crosses and immediately gets knocked out of his hands? That is ruled a td bc it crossed the goaline. NFL needs to get their poo worked out

The problem is, nobody has any idea what the fug a catch is. Is it? Maybe. Did he have control? Maybe not. Did he maintain control throughout the process? Who the fug knows. Refs don't know. Fans don't know. Receivers don't know. 

9 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Could not believe that was a catch. So what about that ODBJ catch (I think against the Cowboys) in the endzone where he caught had both feet in the endzone and then it got knocked out? He had control and both feet were in bounds. This, Bryant juggled a little and when he pinned it, only one foot was in. With ODBJ, what's the difference between that and a rb reaching over the goaline, ball crosses and immediately gets knocked out of his hands? That is ruled a td bc it crossed the goaline. NFL needs to get their poo worked out

THIS is a great point. I've always felt a little weird about the fact that the moment the ball crosses the plane and is in possession the play is dead and its a TD yet WR's don't get credit the moment they have the ball in their hands. The reasoning behind this, according to the NFL, is that the player has to demonstrate full possession in order for it to be ruled a catch. A rb holding the ball across the plane is a case where a player that has already established possession crosses the goal line, thus TD. Catching the ball IN the endzone means you have to show/establish possession of the ball before it can be deemed a catch and thus a TD. Thats where you get into "what is a catch?" To me it all starts with 2 feet down and the ball secure. If you get that I don't think anything else should matter. This whole "through the catch, to the ground, make a football play" bullshiite is what has caused the crazy amounts of confusion and is totally unnecessary to me.

In the case of Bryant, he never once had 2 feet down while in control. And for those that want to argue, a ball going from your outstretched hands, to your hip/leg, down your thigh, around to your butt in the span of about a second, IS NOT CONTROL. There is no reality short of the guy rubbing himself with a football that makes that control. So the whole "no one knows the rules" argument shouldn't apply. Those are the most basic and sacred pillars of a catch in any situation. Of course, they still messed it up after reviewing it so... wtf do I know.

If Byrants catch was a play in the middle of the field, it would have been a catch because the ball never hit the ground......however, Bryant didn't full control the ball until after he flipped several feet out of bounds.  No way that should have been a catch based on the current rules.  

2 minutes ago, pantherjack77 said:

complaining about something that hasn't even happened yet....yep sounds like Carolina folk

15-1....loads of great memories...great plays and a great season...

so lets talk about the officials...and calls that wont go our way because we never gets calls because....blah blah blah

Go away. 

2 minutes ago, pantherjack77 said:

complaining about something that hasn't even happened yet....yep sounds like Carolina folk

15-1....loads of great memories...great plays and a great season...

so lets talk about the officials...and calls that wont go our way because we never gets calls because....blah blah blah

What's worse, people complaining about inconsistent refs in the NFL or you complaining about fellow panthers fans discussing it?  If you don't like the discussion, you can click elsewhere.  

I understand where you guys are coming from as far as bias goes, we've seen it with different teams, not just ours.

But this need to continually make ourselves victims is kind of getting ridiculous, and quite frankly pitiful. If we want a Lombardi Trophy, we're going to have to overcome a few bad calls most likely. It's bullshit I know, but that's just the way it is right now in this league.

Archived