• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tampa Bay could be interested in Shula

Jeremy Igo

Beat writer down in Tampa is confirming that the Bucs plan on hiring Koetter.

He thinks they'll try to get a Rooney Rule interview and maybe someone else to make it look like a real search but he believes the whole process is really just a "coronation".

31 minutes ago, Haplo E said:

Racism is such a strong word. More like 'taking care of my peeps'. Now that the team is about to be one of the best in the league the owner feel like they don't need Lovie anymore for discipline. Just plug in the peeps they're comfortable going to dinner with and enjoy the ride. Nobody wants a coach who will dabb with their QB, unlike that Rivera guy.

Nobody is a strong word considering half the coaches are doing it now.

I think it's ridiculous the two teams that drafted 1 and 2 last season and drafted potential franchise QB's are hiring new head coaches.  Tennessee I understand, Whisenhunt didn't seem to have that team going in the right direction.  But Lovie had Tampa improving.  If they want to be like the Panthers then they need to remember that the Panthers went 6-10 in Cam's rookie year and were absolutely terrible on defense.  At this rate, that inept franchise is going to ruin Jameis Winston and continue to be a bottom feeder 

Honestly I'd like to see more self aware people and instead of jumping ship to terrible situations they stay at the place that made them hot to begin with.

Shula was at an all time low when he got here and I wouldn't be surprised at all(i'd expect it honestly) if he failed at HC again...maybe he just improved that much but honestly you see more and more that these coordinators go to HC...fail...then back to being a coordinator....

Are there any coordinators out there that know they are only coordinator material? 

With Shula not interviewing until after the playoffs, I think/hope he'll miss his chance to land a HC job (the Panthers playing until February would help).

He could easily view Tampa as Carolina-lite, though.  Winston, Evans, Martin are a poor-man's version of Cam, KB, Stew. Couple of nice pieces on that defense as well...a very interesting job personnel wise.

41 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Honestly I'd like to see more self aware people and instead of jumping ship to terrible situations they stay at the place that made them hot to begin with.

Shula was at an all time low when he got here and I wouldn't be surprised at all(i'd expect it honestly) if he failed at HC again...maybe he just improved that much but honestly you see more and more that these coordinators go to HC...fail...then back to being a coordinator....

Are there any coordinators out there that know they are only coordinator material? 

He wasnt at an all time low when he got here.  He had been the quarterback coach for the jags and had done a fairly good job ressurecting David Garrard's career.  He was considered a good quarterback coach which is what he was hired to do.  The Tampa OC thing was a decade ago and most knowledgeable folks didnt really hold the Alabama stint against him since they were under sanctions which he had no hand in or control over at the time. And by the way he had a winning record at Alabama even with the sanctions.  And after the 2005 season where they went 10-2 he was given a 6 year extension at Alabama before being fired after the 2006 season where they expected great things and they finished 6-6.  In four seasons he had one losing season at Alabama but obviously expectations there are extremely high.

51 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I think it's ridiculous the two teams that drafted 1 and 2 last season and drafted potential franchise QB's are hiring new head coaches.  Tennessee I understand, Whisenhunt didn't seem to have that team going in the right direction.  But Lovie had Tampa improving.  If they want to be like the Panthers then they need to remember that the Panthers went 6-10 in Cam's rookie year and were absolutely terrible on defense.  At this rate, that inept franchise is going to ruin Jameis Winston and continue to be a bottom feeder 

I think that's a real possibility.

Archived