• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tampa Bay could be interested in Shula

Jeremy Igo

53 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Shula family has strong ties to Florida. Tampa Bay has a young franchise QB in the making. One of the more attractive jobs this off season.

I understand that.  but the FO's lack of commitment to a coaching staff has to be concerning.  Will ANY coach be allowed to implement there philosophy in a reasonable time frame given the impatience of ownership.  The Panthers has shown extreme patience with this coaching staff and look how it has turned out.  Constant change of coaches can't be good for a young team that seems to have a lot of talent.  I would rather go to a team that has shown that they are going to make a commitment to one coach and allow him to mold a team to his style.

I guess this situation could be a personality conflict between GM and coach causing them to give Smith the hook,  but this will be the third coach in five years.  

If I were Shula I'd take a hard look at the FO track record with coaches and ask myself,"Will they give me enough time to succeed."

The positives aren't worth much if the ownership isn't committed to letting the coach fully implement their plan.

1 hour ago, Carolina Cajun said:

The same Tampa Bay bucs that absolutely poo all over him?  He might get a shot with the Dolphins, but as for the bucs, I just don't see it happening.  All of that said, he's not going anywhere unless we lose in the divisional (not happening) because he's said no to interviews until after the season.

I think this is more of an option than going back to Tampa.   TB is a wreck.

Miami needs some fixing but clearly better off than TB.

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think this is more of an option than going back to Tampa.   TB is a wreck.

Miami needs some fixing but clearly better off than TB.

I completely agree, and while he could probably go and get something this year, I just don't think he's ready to jump on an opportunity just yet.  I think more realistically, he's wanting to fully prove himself 1 more year before making the jump because I think he knows if he goes somewhere and doesn't do great off the bat, he could be one of the 1 and done coaches where as with more success before jumping, he'll be given a longer leash.

7 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

I completely agree, and while he could probably go and get something this year, I just don't think he's ready to jump on an opportunity just yet.  I think more realistically, he's wanting to fully prove himself 1 more year before making the jump because I think he knows if he goes somewhere and doesn't do great off the bat, he could be one of the 1 and done coaches where as with more success before jumping, he'll be given a longer leash.

He might want to wait but Miami might want to take a chance at getting back to the Shula way of doing this.  He just ran a team that almost challenged his dads record.  Definitely caught their attention.

I would love to see him go to Miami.

I've read that Koetter has had interest from other teams. Tampa wants to squash any possibility of him leaving by promoting him. It makes sense to retain him; the offense wasn't a problem in 2015 for the Bucs. Their head coach, a defensive guy, failed to perform on the defensive side of the ball which is why I believe he was ultimately let go. 

Let's remind ourselves of what Shula ball is about:  Running the ball.  Now if Tampa can resign Doug Martin, then I think the job becomes much more attractive.  There are a lot of pieces in place to have a very good offense in Tampa.  

The bigger question when thinking about fit, style, and where success comes from?  Like how much of Carolina's offensive success is on Cam's legs and arm versus the game planning?  I mean, Shula's running game is heralded as one of the most complex in the league.  There's not denying that Shula has gotten much better as an OC, but does he have the temperament to be a successful NFL head coach?  It's been a while, but who knows.

Shula doesn't come across to me as a big RahRahRah guy.  I guess I don't know enough about him on a personal level to know if he can build that rapport with a team very quickly.  Obviously, the Tampa owners don't have a lot of patience.  Shula just seems to be like a guy who needs time to get everything together, as we've seen.  How many times have we complained about Shula ball?

13 minutes ago, SportsCrazie4172 said:

Shula was also fired from the Bucs as OC..it would be odd that they would turn around and hire him as HC..

He was fired by the 6th previous coach 17 years ago. That's not really turning around and hiring him.

Archived