• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thinking of making a move.

EgoDogg

Where would be a better place to live / raise a family / find a job?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Where would be a better place to live / raise a family / find a job?

• Charlotte, NC area
    • Raleigh-Durham area
    • Other (Please list in comments)

Hey guys, I hope this is okay in the Carolina Panthers forum since it is somewhat relevant . So my wife and I are considering looking for jobs and moving down south to somewhere in the Carolina's. I've been doing a lot of research, but I would like your opinions as well. It would have course need to be within a few hours (under 3) of Bank of America stadium.

Right now (and for our whole lives), we've lived in the Wilkes-Barre / Scranton, PA area. There is only so much earning potential and room for growth here, but the amount of job opportunities are slim to say the least. I work in Digital Marketing, she works in (copy)writing & college teaching; has her Master's, would need to get her Doctrate to be able to get a full-time Professor role. Please keep that in mind when making suggestions. 

I'll probably be looking for a while, but friends, please help make our decision a little bit easier on where you think we should focus on.

Thank You! And Keep Pounding.

Currently Leaning to Raleigh / Durham area.

I lived in Hazleton/Drums PA for 8 years......you must have been the only other Panthers fan in the area.  I saw you getting pelted with batteries by 8 Eagles fans at the Wyoming Valley Mall..... I wanted to help but it was really cold outside that day. Sorry.   LOL

CLT is the future. second fastest growing city in the USA last i heard. much nicer scene down there imo, a lot more to do, and plus you're right on that 85 belt that easily connects you up and down the east coast's major cities if that matters at all. plus the home football team and all

Just now, cgarsmoker said:

I lived in Hazleton/Drums PAfor 8 years......you must have been the only other Panthers fan in the area.  I saw you getting pelted with batteries by 8 Eagles fans at the Wyoming Valley Mall..... I wanted to help but it was really cold outside that day. Sorry.   LOL

Haha! I worked in that mall for 4 years while going to college (Champs Sports - 30 - 50% off gear was awesome at the time). I'm one of only 3 Panther Fans in the area I know (including myself). You should always help a fellow Panthers fan!

quick pitch for greensboro too: we're getting big, as an event destination weirdly enough, largely due to having hosted major national sporting events over the past decade (u.s. skating nat champ, ACC tourney all the time, etc.) we've got 6 different university systems, almost 300k in population (which nobody believes) and, recently, topped the list of best places in the nation for people who hate to drive in traffic (like me!) because we have more square footage paved roads per capita than any other city in the country.

great spot to put down roots. i'll be here a while.

13 minutes ago, chknwing said:

fortmill/tega cay area. close to charlotte but over the stateline where property tax is lower and no car inspections.

Yup nailed it.  This area is the next big thing.  Get in while you still can.

Also other notible areas include weddington/marvin/waxhaw areas, sorta upscale and near charlotte.

Personally i like living out in the less populated areas.  Less daily traffic and only a 30 min ride to down town charlotte using 485 and what not.

4 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

CLT is the future. second fastest growing city in the USA last i heard. much nicer scene down there imo, a lot more to do, and plus you're right on that 85 belt that easily connects you up and down the east coast's major cities if that matters at all. plus the home football team and all

1 minute ago, PhillyB said:

quick pitch for greensboro too: we're getting big, as an event destination weirdly enough, largely due to having hosted major national sporting events over the past decade (u.s. skating nat champ, ACC tourney all the time, etc.) we've got 6 different university systems, almost 300k in population (which nobody believes) and, recently, topped the list of best places in the nation for people who hate to drive in traffic (like me!) because we have more square footage paved roads per capita than any other city in the country.

great spot to put down roots. i'll be here a while.

Thanks for this PhillyB! Being closer to the beach would be nice as well ( like Greensboro is). My wife and I aren't big city people (as in NYC / Philadelphia-ish). I've only been to Charlotte twice and the last time was about 14 years ago. Small cities, however, we can do as long as it's not crazy to navigate traffic.

Again, thanks a ton for the suggestions & reasoning!

3 minutes ago, EgoDogg said:

Haha! I worked in that mall for 4 years while going to college (Champs Sports - 30 - 50% off gear was awesome at the time). I'm one of only 3 Panther Fans in the area I know (including myself). You should always help a fellow Panthers fan!

I've been to that Champs many times.....My teen son was into baseball and also big into getting the latest sneakers.  There's not much to do on Saturdays in the winter so hitting the mall in Wilkes-Barre and getting a bite to eat was a decent Saturday outing.  

3 minutes ago, motocross_cat said:

Yup nailed it.  This area is the next big thing.  Get in while you still can.

Also other notible areas include weddington/marvin/waxhaw areas, sorta upscale and near charlotte.

Personally i like living out in the less populated areas.  Less daily traffic and only a 30 min ride to down town charlotte using 485 and what not.

Two votes for  fortmill / tega cay means I'll be taking a look! Thanks! Any idea how job opportunities are in that area? Never heard of it.

Archived