• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can we win without Kemo?

CAPantherFan

Denver's 4-4 was not an attacking defense but a contain defense which didn't blitz that much. If we can get pressure on Eli then they won't be stranded on an island. A lot of our confusions this year have been in zone coverage when we transistion receivers from short zone to deep zone with the safeties making poor reads. By putting the corners in coverage primarily you avoid that but have to be stout against the run since the DBs have their back to the ball or play. Hence the need for a 5 man line. So for me it wouldn't be a 4-4 as much as 5-2 or 4-3 depending of situation and circumstance. If their receivers start catching balls then we will have to adjust which is something Denver didn't do. But if we are going to get pressure we will have to rush at least 5 to get pressure. Without Kemo to occupy 2 blocks it means they can double other folks and bust open a hole or keep Peppers at bay.

But I am sure it is all speculation since we will likely play a bend don't break defense again this week that hopefully won't make Eli look all world.

We've been "bend dont break" a lot this year. I hate it, but sometimes it's a necessity (and admittedly, sometimes it works).

I think Denver overreacted to the game that Williams and Stewart had Monday Night. In the process, it's almost like they forgot we had Steve Smith. On the positive side, New York doesn't have anyone who's shown, to this point, that they can be that kind of player.

(hopefully Sunday doesn't serve as anyone's "coming out party")

I'm always in the camp that prefers pressure with the front four only, but against a team with a so-so receiving corps it's not as much of a risk as it might normally be. Pass rushing isn't really Kemo's thing anyway, but I agree his absence means we have more to worry about in the run game.

Yeah, but the D-line is where we have the least amount of depth.

That's not really true. They have activated either Gibson or Walker, but rarely, or maybe never (not sure), both at the same time this year. So it's more of a philosophy change (going with an extra DE instead of an extra DT), than a depth problem.

You're right in the sense that they don't have another 350lb plugger though.

It is interesting to me that people were talking about what a waste Kemo was in the past and now we have to have him to win.

I really think we need to play a 5 man line against the Giants. Without great receivers and an ability to put us in the nickle we should consider putting Davis up and let Harris fill that spot especially on running downs. It allows us to use a more 1 gap rush instead of 2 gap like we do with Kemo and keep linemen from getting to Beason. If they go to 3 receiver sets or use a lot of tight end passing formations then back him out and put Harris in coverage. But Dallas showed us that their receivers can't get separation in tight man coverage and that Eli isn't all that accurate. He also fades under pressure. We need to shoot the gaps which turns into a pressure look like a blitz on play action or if they throw the ball. Manning has not gone deep that often so we should not fear the long ball. I think we need to play physical and pressure them as Dallas and Philly did the past 2 weeks. Both of them have shown that it is a formula that works against the Giants.

Pretty spot on...

Denver went pretty much 4-4 (with a safety in Siberia) against us, It didn't work because we had Steve Smith.

Shared name aside, none of the Giant receivers is Steve Smith. Still, how comfortable do we feel putting our corners on an island?

I still say we have some of the best. A lot of the problems have been the learning curve of Godfrey. He had one hell of a game last week and Lucas didnt get burnt. coincidence I doubt.

Fox sounds very confident lately. He said yesterday that he actually enjoys having all this pressure on him and his team. Of course, you could take that to mean that he's just happy to be playing a meaningful game in December, but I don't think that's all it is.

He has the look of a man that knows something we don't.

Archived