• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Film Breakdown of Julio Jones vs Josh Norman

Jeremy Igo

Anyone remember the home playoff game with San Francisco? 

Anyone remember like I do the team fighting Frisco pretty darn hard and even taking the momentum?

Then I'm sure everyone will remember what happened once Ron and company saw too many unnecessary roughness and pass interference penalties,...

Neutered the team! Told them all to back off, be classy whatever, but it all went down hill after that.

My feeling is the ass kicking the team took as Cam put it is more of a direct result of being told to back off and play neutered than anything else,..

Just what I saw. The whole team looked like the swag went bye bye,..

and when that happens our playing great but actually awful receiving corps returns to true form.

And of course our dismal DE turn into the Saints. Our corners turn into the Giants.

just my thoughts. We want the Super Bowl?

Take the gloves back off Ron, get behind your guys again, and let them fly!

i think somebody got in his and a lot of other players heads. the team came in soft and played soft the whole time. it just didn't have that fire they had every other week. 

the team that wore panthers unis sunday is a one and done team in the playoffs and will prove that everyone else was right and we were fools for believing.  that team needs to never show back up on the field again. get the fire back or just get your couches ready for the superbowl and packed up for the probowl. 

I chalk it up as Atlanta had nothing to lose and had revenge on their minds. 

What else is the Falcons going to do? Run Freeman 40 times?

Bene was Normans safety blanket and Tillman and Finnegan aren't in top game shape.

Also, the bad Roman Harper is showing up again?  Why?  I just mentioned it.

In the playoffs, we really need to switch it up and play some man. I feel like we never disrupted Julio's rhythm at all. There was no bump and run coverage, no press. Julio got free releases almost every time.

Great players will take advantage of that more times than not. 

Norman played very well. They targeted Julio Jones on 38% of their passes.

I was surprised we never saw a review of the 70 yard Julio Jones TD.

I am sure I am not the only one who saw Julio do his finish line stretch before he got to the goal line. He extended the ball behind him and released the ball as his body broke the plane. The ball however did not seem to break the plane as he releases the ball when his torso breaks the plane. I can track the ball movement in the all 22 frames showing he releases the ball with his left foot on the goal line. Hoping to find some video from another source that shows an angle down the goal line.

What's done is done, but I have been curious why there was no review for the score during the game. Looks like Julio got away with a Leon Lett moment while showboating.

15 hours ago, CarolinaSamurai said:

The penalty on Tillman neutered Josh. That was a message from the league saying act out and your team will pay. The whole defense took a step back after that. No aggression.

Also, rushing 5 or 6 and still not getting to the QB is scary. That's our achellis we better fix it. 

This^^^ in a way, I felt this play set the tone which we never recovered. The PI call on Luke and the noncall on intentional grounding were bs. If we get fugged over some league directive about this OBJ crap... 

Norman didn't have as much trouble as a lot would think. The lone exceptions being the comeback route and the deep in. Played outside leverage all game and it killed him. If we just started letting him play straight up or get inside leverage, we take away both of those routes.

McD needs to be adjusting that sort of stuff if the players themselves aren't. "Hey, he's taking advantage of you playing outside. Don't let him free release to the inside. If he gets there, you're still underneath with overtop help. If he cuts out, you're in a position to make a play, if he cuts in, you can force a turnover".

Just need better play and actual adjustments. I thought for sure we'd adjust some stuff at halftime. We didn't. At all. Nothing changed. The exact same scheme and we got ate up with it.

Is Rivera holding back some of the defensive and offensive looks they are working on for the playoffs?

It was kind of like: Why show other playoff teams what we are capable of right now and give them time to prepare?  It almost seemed like it was an exhibition game rather than a regular season game. Classic late season let down game by an elite team. 

I could imagine the coaches recognizing that the defensive scheme was not working.  I think they purposefully didn't make any adjustments to see just how far the defense can be pushed.  They didn't try to move Norman around to deal with Julio, but seriously, in the playoffs...you want to have some surprises for elite passing attacks like GB and AZ.  Our D schemes were kind of vanilla, execution was weak, and the outcome was a big fat L.

I'm thinking they are holding back on letting Josh be Josh until the playoffs, then all bets are off and you fugging go for it and let Norman be a shut down corner. 

Archived