• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Feeley being here mean...

TheRealDeal

that Matt Moore is going to be leaving here after the season? His contract is up and the staff/organization don't seem to like him for some reason as evident by this so I think he will starting for another franchise in a year or so. Going out to pick up another terrible QB who has "experience" is beyond me and to me shows the staff has little faith in Moore for some reason or another. If I am Moore I'm looking for a team to give me a fair shot to compete for playing time not for a team to keep signing guys who never had success anywhere but due to "experience" get ahead of me...what a joke.

People know Feeley has 8 ints last 3 games right?

Feeley is a stopgap for our current situation. Nothing more IMO. I highly doubt Furney are looking past the 6 weeks McCown is out.

McCown is out for the season. He was placed on IR today.

Still, I don't think Feeley's signing is any indictment on Moore. Fox believes that QBs take 3-4 years to develop. I tend to agree. Truthfully, this is only Moore's second season; he missed last season with a knee injury. I think that if Moore will bide his time here, he will have a chance to start and unless he just totally sucks, once he gets the starting nod he'll keep it as long as Fox and Hurney are here.

Just read this from PFT:

Meanwhile, A.J. Feeley has decided to join the Panthers, apparently spurning overtures from Philadelphia, according to multiple reports.

The Panthers could not wait around for Josh McCown's foot to heal, and wanted another quarterback option on the roster. Feeley could eventually threaten to take over Jake Delhomme's starting job, and his presence is a sign that the Panthers may not be that high on Matt Moore. (So is the fact that Moore was behind McCown on the depth chart.)

This does concern me. Maybe the panthers aren't sold on MM at all

I think Delhomme starts against Atlanta, and from there it's "wait and see". I think they are going to evaluate Feeley in practice this week, and decide if he could be #2 or if they should wait to promote him. I think they should give Moore a shot, and give Feeley time to get used to the offensive scheme. Moore has been with Jeff Davidson for 3 seasons now, and should know the system well by now. If he's going to get a realistic chance at being the starter, this might be the season. Just have Feeley ready if he falters.

3rd season

It's his third actual season, but only his second season practicing, etc. Yeah, sitting in meetings and watching film for a year while his knee heals is helpful, but game experience and practice is what counts.

I like Moore and I wouldn't mind seeing him take the reins some day if he's ready, but thrusting an undrafted QB into the starting role with so little experience isn't the move of a team with plans to make the post-season. On the contrary, it's the type of move that a rebuilding team makes.

Florio's point is pure speculation. The only thing it means is that they want a vet on roster.

Feeley's not likely to be higher on the depth chart than Moore because he doesn't know the system and he comes from a wholly different background.

If they put him at #2 rather than Moore, then Florio has a point (but I'd be surprised to see it).

Matt Moore won two of three games he started back in 2007, and played well in all of them. He should have been number two on the depth chart in my opinion. I think he played pretty well Sunday considering our O-line were out on vacation somewhere. According to my cousins who went to the Falcons' game, Atlanta has a killer defense. That said, Moore will probably be playing by the end of the game this week.

It's his third actual season, but only his second season practicing, etc. Yeah, sitting in meetings and watching film for a year while his knee heals is helpful, but game experience and practice is what counts.

I like Moore and I wouldn't mind seeing him take the reins some day if he's ready, but thrusting an undrafted QB into the starting role with so little experience isn't the move of a team with plans to make the post-season. On the contrary, it's the type of move that a rebuilding team makes.

Moore only missed about four weeks last year, after that, he was out there practicing as the third QB. And it was a broken leg, not a knee.

As for what this means for Moore, if the speculation by the beat writers is accurate, and Feeley will step in as the #2, then that tells us everything we need to know about how the team views Moore. Moore has been in the league long enough now and has enough experience that if the team felt he has the skillset to be a viable primary backup, he would be moved up while Feeley would come in as #3. So, if Feeley is inserted as the #2, then I don't think the team believes Moore will ever be more than his is right now, and I would expect there is a good chance Moore will be playing elsewhere next season.

Archived