• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So whats the issue with the defense?

chknwing

From what I saw it looked as if when the Giants lined OBJ in the slot, the LB to his side was more mindful of him getting off the line and a quick slant. They were waiting a half step which allowed the NYG OL to get upfield this opened a hole, blocked the backside backer with moving bodies and got the play side backer on his heels and not hitting the running lane. This happened a lot and it's what happens when you play against an explosive player like OBJ. 

I think the team (overall) lacks some focus after getting big leads.  Those clamoring for the offense to continue to score after being up 28 pts with 20 minutes left in the game are missing the point.  The Panthers defense has to limit those (other teams) drives to FGs.  Great defenses bend but don't break during those times, and that's the type of D that Panthers fans have grown accustomed to over the past few years. 

They gave up big leads (or a ton of points to) Luck, Brees, Rodgers and E. Manning so the D wasn't up against a set of rookies and journeyman QBs.  The only way to stop or rattle great QBs is with the Pass Rush, period, that's it.  Sooner or later they'll settle down and find the open guys.  I agree, if the front four aren't getting it done, it's time to take risk and rely on blitz packages. Maybe you get to the QB a couple of times to rattle, etc.  Giving up 20+ pts leads is not a good look.

I do think the offense missed J Stew that maybe could've help the D out in the 4th Qtr with sustaining some drives but the mental errors (blocked FG, etc) are just plain lack of focuse.

46 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

It was in New York, the lack of pass rush from the DE's is quite alarming though.  

Hopefully Getts fixes this in the offseason, one way or another.  

Did Ealy switch sides once CJ came back?  I'm about to check his stats pre-CJ return & post CJ-return, but my impression is that Ealy's stats have dropped off quite a lot since CJ came back, and I'm wondering if that has to do with switching sides.

1 hour ago, Zaximus said:

It's time to sit CJ and Allen even more.  Tell them you're resting them for the playoffs.  I don't care.  When I see Delaire on inactives I'm sad.  Time to let the young guys get in there.   We were playing better before CJ came back, hate to say it.  That guy is gone.   

It's true though, Davis had a horrible game, maybe one of the worst I've seen.  Finnegan is pretty terrible too.  I thought Tillman had a good game back though.

Roman Harper might be the biggest liability of them all. He is constantly getting beat deep, terrible in coverage and I still have no idea what he was doing on Jennings' 40 yard TD run.

And like I've said before this Allen trade has really hurt Kony's development.

All I know is Rivera was taking Cam out of the game in the middle of the 3rd quarter before the Giants marched down the field and scored a touchdown.

I watched the Cardinals and the Seahawks demolish the Eagles and the Browns yesterday. They never once considered taking out Palmer or Wilson. They never once decided to slow the game down and just run the clock out. They didn't sit any starters of mention. Those teams have killer instincts.

Coach Rivera really needs to think about why or at what point do teams start to come back on us. Is it really because the players slack off, or is it the message you send when you start talking about sitting your starting QB, or stop passing the ball as much as you've been doing all game. I can't remember Brady coming out of a game with a big lead. Even when they were dropping 50 points a game back when Moss was dominating. 

A win in the NFL is very fragile. It usually comes down to just a handful of the hundred or so plays that determine which team wins. 

13 hours ago, uncfan888 said:

No pass rush from the ends.  A DT leading your team in sacks is not optimal

This

Kwann is having a monster year, but when your DT is your leading pass rusher, you got problems on the D-line.

I did not see Delaire the last two weeks. What is his story? We were at least applying pressure when he was in the rotation. Jared Allen and CJ aren't doing poo right now .... We NEED a pass rush in the playoffs. I don't wanna throw multiple blitzes at Aaron Rogers, Russel Wilson etc...

The OBJ vs. Norman thing distracted everyone, including Luke and surprisingly TD.

Our Special Teams was "special" and I don't mean that in a good way.

We were on the road, and took the foot off of the gas.

We couldn't get a couple 1st downs when we really needed them later in the game.

Ron is perfectly fine with being up 2-3 scores and punting the ball away, and typically that type of behavior is rewarded in the NFL, but not when teams have their backs to the wall, the focus is on two insane players, and we have a couple bad breaks.  Over the last couple years, I have been worried about only scoring 17 in the playoffs and trying to advance....now we can score, but can't seem to stop folks.

Archived