• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The main reason we should activate CAP and limit Stew reps...

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, pantherphan96 said:

I like CAP, and Wegher seems promising, but it's ridiculous to think that they are as good as JStew. However, it is entirely possible that we could get the #1 seed with them instead of Stew, but mainly due to the remaining schedule and the work the OL has done the past few games. I just don't Stewart to go down with an injury late in the year and all of a sudden our run game becomes all Cam. If our run game were no longer seen as a threat, the offense becomes very one dimensional.

Its possible...

But Id rather see Stew active for this next one, get the win, and then entertain giving him some series off.

Any way you cut it I don't see not giving him a jersey.  We have to keep him on track and not let the rust settle in.

But once we have home field throughout...

Yeah Give CAP or Wegher some carries even if it means Fozzy doesn't get a jersey.

5 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

Yeah I agree with you. I'm down for whatever the coaching staff puts out there. I'm simply putting out a logical thought process for activating CAP for this game.

And I don't really think you're out in left field.  Im just a momentum and  a don't let up guy.

I think we all agree that the #1 seed is the most important next step and no one would jeopardize that.

1 minute ago, Inimicus said:

And I don't really think you're out in left field.  Im just a momentum and  a don't let up guy.

I think we all agree that the #1 seed is the most important next step and no one would jeopardize that.

However we do have 3 games to lock it up. This isn't the last game. But more importantly, the injuries are a concern and we need Stew for the playoffs. This game is the perfect game to sit him.

2 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

However we do have 3 games to lock it up. This isn't the last game. But more importantly, the injuries are a concern and we need Stew for the playoffs. This game is the perfect game to sit him.

Ill give you CAP for Fozzy.

But there is no way I sit J-Stew at this point in our season.

1 minute ago, Inimicus said:

Ill give you CAP for Fozzy.

But there is no way I sit J-Stew at this point in our season.

Unless he's actually hurt. I would continuity. Sit Stew. Start Fozzy. Make CAP the back up. It's a rank thing. I'm army so I'm entrenched in that. :)

4 hours ago, hepcat said:

I'm really starting to wonder why they aren't letting CAP get some playing time.  Young backs often struggle with blocking and the Panthers are big on the backs knowing the blocking scheme for passing plays, maybe he hasn't picked that up yet?  I know "Team Chemistry" is a big thing and Stewart is balling out right now, but injuries are a big concern and you've gotta let his backup get some reps in right?  I mean the game was over before halftime, why not let him come in and salt away the clock?  He wasn't even active!  Don't know what the deal is.  Might be wearing Stewart in the ground to cut him next year because of his massive contract.

True but are also letting him pad his stats, so he'll have a good shot at a nice contract next year.  Goes both ways.

I think the most reasonable thing to do is to limit Stew to 10-15 rushes this week, and give Fozzy the remainder, with Tolbert getting his situational carries as he has been. This gives us a better look at Fozzy with consecutive carries and in different down and distance situations. If he's going to come on strong and be somebody we rely on to spell Stew in the playoffs, then he needs to get reps now.

Bottom line, we need another back that can really hurt defenses when the playoffs start. Tolbert is good at what he does, but he's not going to be a guy who we use to truly spell Stew. He'll get some of the shorter distance-to-firsts type of runs, but he's not a guy you're going to line up on 1st and 10 on a regular basis. Fozzy, CAP, or Wegher needs to be that guy. In order for that to happen, they need playing time. At some point, we have to start saving Stew's legs. And it can't just be when the game is a lock.

bottom line: if we're in a situation where we need to give CAP significant playing time it means stew, tolbert, and fozzy all went down, and at that point we're looking for help elsewhere anyway. may as well let fozzy stay as hot as possible given the likelihood of (1) injuries only knocking down two guys at absolutely most, and (2) the probability of using him as a clutch late-game closer through our final stretch and the playoffs.

10 hours ago, hepcat said:

He wasn't even active!  Don't know what the deal is.  Might be wearing Stewart in the ground to cut him next year because of his massive contract.

10 hours ago, Inimicus said:

Can we get a new board rule that states:

If you propose to activate either CAP or Wegher you have to also name the guys who are not get jerseys on gameday.

THIS!

I'm one of those who keeps saying I'd love to see CAP & Wegher active in an ideal world, but I also keep asking, who would they replace?!. 

I was surprised Simonson was active over CAP on Sunday.  I really thought we'd finally have CAP getting some snaps.  But it REALLY is a problem of jerseys and the fact that up until Sunday we had so few injuries.  With Addison back, it was only Bersin (who probably would have been inactive anyway) and Tillman who were inactive due to injuries.  That means we had to healthy scratch 5 guys, and given how heavy a Dline rotation we play, that means the RBs and WRs will keep topping the list of scratches.  If CAP or Wegher were to go in, I fear one of our existing RBs would have to be inactive.  Given that Fozzy covers kickoff returns, he's probably not going to be deactivated.  Stew would ONLY be out for injury... same with Tolbert.  So, as much as I WANT CAP/Wegher in as much as anybody on this board, I just don't see who is deactivated to make that happen unless there are injuries, which none of us want.

I've been quite nervous that CAP's lack of playing time could hurt us if we were to be forced to play him in the playoffs, but Fozzy's good play in the second half on Sunday encouraged me and made me less nervous!  Stew out for a whole half and you couldn't tell that anyone was missing by looking at our play on the field.  NICE.

And with Greg's knee now maybe a bit gimpy, I'm very glad Simonson got more playing time...

All in all everything worked out, but it sucks for CAP & Wegher to be continuing to warm the bench.  I *REALLY* WISH we were allowed to activate more players on game day!

17 hours ago, Inimicus said:

Can we get a new board rule that states:

If you propose to activate either CAP or Wegher you have to also name the guys who are not get jerseys on gameday.

Deal.

This week CAP is active while Stew rests.  Wegher is active since Mayo is out for 2 weeks, and Wegher can play his ST spot.

Archived