• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SMDH BleacherReport

Newtcase

It took some scratching and/or clawing, but the Carolina Panthers remained undefeated. Their flawless record is intact mostly because the New Orleans Saints treat pass defense like it will cause scurvy or something.

That's why the Panthers scored 13-plus points during three of the four quarters played Sunday and why quarterback Cam Newton threw five touchdowns passes in a game for the second time this season. He's still your leading MVP candidate right now, though Dalton is making his case.

But despite the win there was still reason for Carolina to be concerned. A stretch of sloppiness resulted in three first-half turnovers after the Panthers hadn't given the ball away over their previous three games.

And during that same three-game stretch, their defense had allowed an average of 13.3 points. Saints quarterback Drew Brees carved them up for 38 points Sunday.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2596459-nfl-power-rankings-where-does-every-team-rank-heading-into-week-14/page/33

What's wrong with this post on B/R?  

Well lets see, we put up 41 because the Saints can't play defense, but Drew carved us up for 38 (guess Drew gets credit for the FR/TD as well?)

Dalton is making his case, b1tch please, give Cam AJ Green and Dalton Tedd Ginn and lets see what's what.

I know, I know, it's B/R, couldn't help myself from looking though, and it's really frustrating to still be reading this garbage about a 12-0 team.  Shouldn't the story be about the heart of champion revealing itself again yesterday?!

Just now, Cracka McNasty said:

Brees gets credit because he carved up a legitimately good Defense. Cam carved up a historically bad defense. 

It's like beating Mike Tyson in his prime versus Kevin the 3rd grader from down the street. One is significantly more impressive than the other. 

More unnecessary butthurt

Just now, Dick the Butcher said:

To pluck this out of the universe of commentary about this team is a little whiney. Not the best article, but certainly not the worst. 

Yeah I know, and it's B/R.  I try to tune it out, I really do.  I wouldn't call it plucking though as B/R is always first to scene releasing power ranking commentary.

..and Cracka if what Cam did yesterday wasn't as impressive as what Drew did then we watched different games.

1 hour ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Brees gets credit because he carved up a legitimately good Defense. Cam carved up a historically bad defense. 

It's like beating Mike Tyson in his prime versus Kevin the 3rd grader from down the street. One is significantly more impressive than the other. 

More unnecessary butthurt

But it's not. Because the Panther Defense was bad that day, offsetting it.

In other words: If The Panthers would have blown the Saints out (especially at home), the writers perspective would be true. But since the Panthers defense gave up so many points, it's makes what Cam Newton did even better, cause the Panthers could have lost that game when he couldn't rely on his defense playing well.

Look, we won and that's great. But let's face it, that wasn't a very good game for us, except that it might help refocus the team.

Brees threw three touchdowns against our great pass defense and Ingram ran might well against us. They exposed our kicking game as well, and anyone who has watched this year has seen it can be an area of worry for us.

Yes, Cam did throw for five touchdowns. That is great. He was also doing it against one of the worst pass defenses in the league, one that helped us mightily with a plethora of penalties. In short, Cam should have thrown five touchdowns against the Saints. Almost anyone can. Had there been one less critical penalty or just an ability for the Saints to have caused us to punt just one more time, we'd all be talking about how we lost this game.

And let's not even get into the bad case of Drop-itis our receivers had, with Ginn looking like he might need to find a big bottle of Stick'em. And those 12 men on the field penalties Sean Payton was having an ever-loving fit over, they really happened and there's a mental error going on in those groupings that could cost us dearly some day.

Yeah, we won and it's great to be 12-0, but don't get all butt hurt because a sportswriter brings up some criticism about this game. We deserved it.

Next week, now next week will be sweet... We're going to want to not just fix those mistakes, but show just how much we've fixed 'em. I can't wait!

Just now, FootballMaestro said:

But it's not, because the Panther Defense was bad that day, offsetting it.

In other words: If The Panthers would have blown the Saints out (especially at home), the writers perspective would be true. But since the Panthers defense gave up so many points, it's makes what Cam Newton did even better, cause the Panthers could have lost that game, cause he couldn't rely on his defense playing well.

Agreed, I didn't see Brees carving very much, mostly the guys he hit were very very open.

And the insinuation is that Carolina could only put those numbers up against a terrible defense, which completely ignores that they're now averaging over 31/game.

Just now, Khyber53 said:

Look, we won and that's great. But let's face it, that wasn't a very good game for us, except that it might help refocus the team.

Brees threw three touchdowns against our great pass defense and Ingram ran might well against us. They exposed our kicking game as well, and anyone who has watched this year has seen it can be an area of worry for us.

Yes, Cam did throw for five touchdowns. That is great. He was also doing it against one of the worst pass defenses in the league, one that helped us mightily with a plethora of penalties. In short, Cam should have thrown five touchdowns against the Saints. Almost anyone can. Had there been one less critical penalty or just an ability for the Saints to have caused us to punt just one more time, we'd all be talking about how we lost this game.

And let's not even get into the bad case of Drop-itis our receivers had, with Ginn looking like he might need to find a big bottle of Stick'em. And those 12 men on the field penalties Sean Payton was having an ever-loving fit over, they really happened and there's a mental error going on in those groupings that could cost us dearly some day.

Yeah, we won and it's great to be 12-0, but don't get all butt hurt because a sportswriter brings up some criticism about this game. We deserved it.

Next week, now next week will be sweet... We're going to want to not just fix those mistakes, but show just how much we've fixed 'em. I can't wait!

Sure, can't argue with any this.  Just have to live with the fact that if there is any possible way to put negative spin on a 12-0 team then that's what's going to happen fairly often.  I just think it overlooks the quality of doing whatever is necessary to get a win.  Our offense continued to score until it was enough, our defense stood the test at the end of the game. Many many things went wrong yesterday.  I may be in the smaller group that was impressed by what they overcame to win that game.

1 minute ago, Newtcase said:

Sure, can't argue with any this.  Just have to live with the fact that if there is any possible way to put negative spin on a 12-0 team then that's what's going to happen fairly often.  I just think it overlooks the quality of doing whatever is necessary to get a win.  Our offense continued to score until it was enough, our defense stood the test at the end of the game. Many many things went wrong yesterday.  I may be in the smaller group that was impressed by what they overcame to win that game.

Let's just say in the playoffs, we won't face a defense that will allow us to squeak out a win by breaking 40 points. If we were going to have a bad day, at least it came against an even worse opponent.

24 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

Yeah I know, and it's B/R.  I try to tune it out, I really do.  I wouldn't call it plucking though as B/R is always first to scene releasing power ranking commentary.

..and Cracka if what Cam did yesterday wasn't as impressive as what Drew did then we watched different games.

I wasn't impressed because I expected it. Our QB is great and he went against a crap Defense. I expect these things now. Cam having a great game doesn't shock or impress me anymore, it's par for the course.

Drew Brees going up against a top 5 defensive unit and putting up the numbers he did was impressive. 

18 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

We held the Saints to 70 yards rushing...not against running "well" against us.  Well, he did run well based on our ridiculously high standards that this team has created.

Archived