• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Has Devin Funchess earned the starting spot?

Jeremy Igo

6 hours ago, SZ James (banned) said:

I don't think he's "earned" jack. He's still basically slightly above awful and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have arms i.e he can only catch balls thrown right into his body where his hands are attached. The only reason to start him is so that he can develop into something useful in the future.

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've read in a while. What is this body catch  thing? Are you confusing Funchess with Philly?

Or maybe you didn't like the draft pick. It's time to get over it.

15 hours ago, chris999 said:

Cam used to throw high alot, and I think that was the resoning for getting Benjamin and Funchess, to have 2 6'5 WRs along with Olsen who can get highand catch some of them.

But Cam put work in in the offseason, and I have not seen him have one of his 'high passes' off days. He has really improved his accuracy and mechanics.

The reasoning for getting 6'5 receivers that can jump is because you always want 6'5 receivers who can jump. The thing is I dont think there were many available before nowadays right? A team would be lucky to find one, and believe me theyve tried.

So many people say Cam throws high but really dont a lot of powerful young QB's? I think the game is just getting higher and its not so much Cam is doing this or that? Youre not going to tell me that Pro golfers play to their slice or hook on a golf course. Pro's fix whats wrong and move on.

Cant wait to see all 3 6'5 threats on the field. Funch is gonna sharpen his route running like KB did from year 1 to 2 and its gonna be nasteh downfield. Shula will have lots of toys to crush people with.

13 hours ago, SZ James (banned) said:

I don't think he's "earned" jack. He's still basically slightly above awful and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have arms i.e he can only catch balls thrown right into his body where his hands are attached. The only reason to start him is so that he can develop into something useful in the future.

He is a rookie. People have been spoiled by last years WR class.

Sure he had a rough go of it early in the season, but he has shown flashes of why Gettleman moved up to draft him.

Let him finish the season before passing such judgements.

11 minutes ago, Haplo E said:

Every time this type of discussion come up makes me realize how inept our receiver corps is. I could say KB will come back next year and save the day, and then I remember all the drops he had.

I agree, I can't see how we will get to 7 wins this season with the JV squad we are putting out there every week...

You don't lose your job to injury, you lose your job to the better player.

Philly is a complimentary WR at this point, Funch has shown enough to "start" IMO.  I like what I'm seeing from him, better hands, better routes, body control, sideline awareness...etc...

We will need that guy in the playoffs, let's get him as many reps as possible as long as the situation calls for it.

23 minutes ago, Haplo E said:

Sarcasm or not, every team have their franchise WR for their franchise QB, and we don't. This offense could easily put up 40 points/gm if we had  that. Olsen together with a franchise WR, forget about it!

Just like the last two super bowl winning teams right......

15 hours ago, ThinkAboutIt said:

Umph, I'd forgotten that Kevin Norwood is still on this team. Dude can't even get on the field when Philly Brown is hurt.

Bersin is plug and play at any WR spot, he's been around long enough to know all he routes and is pretty dependable when he gets thrown to. That's why he continues to make the practice sqad every year. Not quite good enough to make the roster, but good enough. I see Norwood as our current version of Hill; a project that Proehl hopes he can work some magic on and get to play up to his high potential next year. I don't see him cracking the roster this year, but Proehl was apparently relly high on him before Seattle drafted him.

Archived