• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers are the WORST team to ever start 11-0

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, Panthersfan704 said:

Next will be, "The Carolina Panthers are the worst team to ever win a Super Bowl."

I remember in 2004 during the Super Bowl there was an analyst who stated that if Carolina won, they would be the worst winner in Super Bowl history. If I could only remember who that idiot was.

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

What none of these stats account for is being good in the clutch. Cam is super competitive and hates to lose. When the game is on the line he delivers. That is why we win and many of those others teams did as well. It wasn't numbers alone but guys making plays when they had to.

Exactly.  I hope I never get to the point where I get so caught up in numbers that I deny what I see with my eyes or hear with my ears. 

What I see with my eyes is a team who can just totally dominate on both offense and defense.  Perhaps not consistently in every quarter of every game, but they seem to be able to turn it on when threatened - thus the fact that there seems to be no obvious reason or "winning formula" to explain the Panthers' success.  What they do to win is dependent on the circumstances.  Sometimes it the offense that beats up a team, sometimes its the defense, sometimes its both, and ST are playing their part too with ensuring field position wins most of the time.

What I hear with my ears is guys who are incredibly focused, and incredibly committed to one another as a team, and who recognize they've got the potential to be part of something special, and who are grateful & humble, and proud.

Yeah, these are things that stats can't account for.  And that's why the games still need to be played.  As others have said, it's not Madden.  These guys are not pre-destined by their stats, and as much as I enjoy looking at stats, I enjoy WATCHING football more, and watching a team gel, watching individuals face and overcome challenges.  At some point you can't analyze it, you just have to sit back and soak it in.  And I'm loving doing that this season.

3 hours ago, !stUp said:

Small Market Southern Team:11-0 Drives northern media types crazy. Hehehe.

You realize FiveThirtyEight uses stats as the basis for all of their reports.  How Carolina plays does not matter to them.  They have no agenda.  They only report based on actual stats.  It doesn't make them wrong or right but to claim they have an agenda or an ulterior motive is plain incorrect.

4 hours ago, PantherFan4Ever said:

Too bad stats can't account for heart and intensity

I agree.. Maybe I'm reading this wrong but ....that is what I thought he was saying about our teams intangables or immeasurable stats. 

"But despite the unblemished start, there remain statistical reasons to wonder if these Panthers are quite as great as their 11-0 forebears — and, perhaps, reasons to wonder if the stats are missing something about their style of play".

4 hours ago, Camvp said:

I don't get it, why does it bother the media so much that our team is great?  If it's a market thing, why isn't small market green bay hated?  

It doesn't bother FiveThirtyEight.  They are a media company that uses stats for the basis of all of their reports.  Their personal opinion doesn't really have any affect on their article.  In fact, they are clear that perhaps stats don't tell the whole story with the Panthers.  But of course, this is the Huddle so we aren't going to read the article and are just going to call BS on any article we don't like.

4 hours ago, Camvp said:

I don't get it, why does it bother the media so much that our team is great?  If it's a market thing, why isn't small market green bay hated?  

One word: legacy. Something we are in the process of building. Tell ya what, if we win the 50th Super Bowl, going 19-0 in the process, it will go a long way toward building a legacy for the team

4 hours ago, CRA said:

Cam is just becoming a better version of something that compares to nothing.  Yet all people want to do is compare him to people that don't compare.  

People like to compare him to something they know and are comfortable with. Cam is unlike anything the NFL has ever seen and it bugs people when they can't categorize a thing.

6 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

What they do to win is dependent on the circumstances.  Sometimes it the offense that beats up a team, sometimes its the defense, sometimes its both, and ST are playing their part too with ensuring field position wins most of the time.

I agree. I think part of our success this year has been the fact that we are a moving target. We are capable of beating any team because we have so many ways to beat teams. 

3 hours ago, ncsfinest21 said:

I only recall us losing in 3 quarters of the Seattle game and a brief moment in the Bucs. 

There have been brief moments throughout the season. The only two times it has been scary has been the Nola game in Charlotte and the Seattle game.

18 minutes ago, rainwater said:

It doesn't bother FiveThirtyEight.  They are a media company that uses stats for the basis of all of their reports.  Their personal opinion doesn't really have any affect on their article.  In fact, they are clear that perhaps stats don't tell the whole story with the Panthers.  But of course, this is the Huddle so we aren't going to read the article and are just going to call BS on any article we don't like.

Yeah, this article didn't bother me at all.  The stats were interesting, and they did seem to acknowledge that we might be winning due to factors the stats couldn't fully capture.  It didn't seem they were out to "get" us by using the stats or to obviously pick stats to make us look bad.  Face it, with Cams QBR, we're not winning conventionally, and the stats are not going to explain all of the reasons we're 11-0.

I enjoyed @Panthers response.  After they first posted "k"

538 responded with an apology and Panthers came back and said "you're just mostivating us more"

Archived