• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers playing for each other.

Jeremy Igo

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-Playing-For-Each-Other/dca95897-432f-4e06-9201-c0f653fc62be

Good read from Max Henson. 

The Panthers can’t speak for other teams, but they know that what they have is unique.

"It’s not common," said Tolbert, an eight-year veteran. "It’s not common at all."

The tight-knit nature of the Carolina locker room essentially boils down to two things that aren’t as easy to find as you might think.

One, they like and defend one another. Two, they believe everyone in the room can help win games, and they’ve needed a collective effort to win games.

"Guys genuinely like each other," Tolbert explained. "And we trust in everybody’s ability. We know from top to bottom that everyone can play. We love doing this together."

I have noticed the same thing in the locker room. This team genuinely has a lot of fun together, more so than in years past. 

I think this speaks towards Gettleman's ability to draft not only skilled players, but guys that can and will buy into Carolina's way of doing things both on and off the field. You can tell from his press conferences pre and post-draft that he takes the vetting and interview process very seriously and I think we are seeing that pay off. It is important to draft guys that will succeed on the field, but a big part of that is finding guys that are right fits for the organization and can buy into the systems in place. I think Gettleman, when interviewing, looks for competitors that above all else, want to win and will buy into the team to do so. That's how perennial Super Bowl contenders are born. We are well on our way. I think it is also important to note that that Gettleman puts a premium on finding the perfect mix of young guys, guys entering or in their prime, role players, and well-respected veterans. 

Great read!

I remember thinking when we drafted Cam that he may be a distraction to this team with his personality and what I thought was a big ego.  Of course I was wrong about that and I'd say the complete opposite now.  And as much as I love Smitty as a player I now think it was the right move for this team to gel.  It's blatantly obvious that this team is more of a team than just a collection of individuals.

Great article. So funny, in this world of big contracts, big egos (and Igos) the media and a lot of fans (even some of our own) have refused to believe that these guys are focused on one thing - WINNING. Finally, they're starting to pick up on it (not that the team cares) and realize that it is possible for a group of Alphas to come together for a common purpose. It's great to be a fan of a team like that and I only hope there is more recognition of this aspect of our team as the season unfolds. For me, this is truly our best quality and the secret to our success.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

This kind of thing is why I cringe when people suggest we sign / draft / trade for whatever bad boy a--hole whose name is in the news this week.

Chemistry matters, and you don't come by this kind of chemistry easily.

Listened to interviews lately with Jared Allen & Charles Tillman.  Both say the chemistry in the locker room is something truly special, something rare.  Given their combined # of years in the league and some of the good teams they've played on, that says something.

I follow our other NFCS division foes on twitter and they "try" to post similiar stories.    But I am totally buying this from Max, homer glasses be damned.  From the TD airplane video's to Jeremy's locker room takes to the simple and total lack of negative stories eminating from this locker room it is clear something special is going on.  And as much as I loved Steve Smith, and  desparately hope he retires a Panther......moving on from him was 100% the right thing to do.  Also would love to hear more from Allen, as he brings the best perspective to this "story".  Trading for him well before the deadline, and not taking the bait on last minute trades appears to be another master stroke by Gman.  I mean, other than passing on Nicks (/sarcasm).

2 minutes ago, Servant of Cthululelei said:

Remember when some folks here were panicking because Cam and Josh got in a fight in training camp?  I hope this season helps those people understand how ridiculous that was.  But then again, headless chickens are probably always gonna headless chicken.

I think fights in training camp are only a problem when they get personal.  As far as I know it was never personal between Cam and Josh.

Archived