• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

J-No's Big Money contract

firefox1234

J-No's Contract  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Will Gman give Norman the contract he wants?

• Yes, he is a key player like Luke and Cam!!!
    • No, he is 27 years old we gotta pay Short and probaby KB in the future and other teams will give him a bigger offer
    • No, but he will be tagged

13 hours ago, Fan01 said:

1.  He'll want the going rate for a top 5 corner.  Probably #1.  Currently, that 14 million.

2.  He won't get that next year because we'll franchise tag him.  12 million or so.

3.  He's 27.  We should get a slight discount on a 3 or 4 year deal unless he wants to hit FA at 28 and take a chance on injury

4 yr for 50 million with 35 guan.

no thanks.  <$10mil per year would make sense.  Only defender that should make 13 mil is a DE or DT 

1 hour ago, Mvp2014 said:

no thanks.  <$10mil per year would make sense.  Only defender that should make 13 mil is a DE or DT 

I dunno...being able to neuter a teams #1 WR is a pretty big deal. But money is a huge factor. How long will CJ count $20m against the cap? It's symbiotic relationship.The good pass rush helps out the secondary but a good secondary allows more time for a pass rush. 

1 hour ago, Mvp2014 said:

Totally not true.  And DTs hardly get paid that, only someone like Suh gets that.   Maybe Short if he keeps this up, but that just doesn't happen.

Usually it's QB>LT>Pass rushing DE/Shutdown corner

Shutdown corners are rare.  If you can keep one, you keep them.  Panthro is right, the ability to completely negate a team's receiver is valuable.  

52 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

Totally not true.  And DTs hardly get paid that, only someone like Suh gets that.   Maybe Short if he keeps this up, but that just doesn't happen.

Usually it's QB>LT>Pass rushing DE/Shutdown corner

Shutdown corners are rare.  If you can keep one, you keep them.  Panthro is right, the ability to completely negate a team's receiver is valuable.  

This would be the completely wrong time to negotiate a deal with Norman. He's at a high point right now and he can command best in the league money, so why not let him play the year out on his own contract? If he continues to play lights out, then his demanded price will still be at the top of the league for DBs. If he slows down a bit, or gets injured, the price table shifts in the team's favor a bit more.

He's great and he's having a stellar year, but there have been a number of "shutdown" corners that were one year wonders or the products of good defensive systems. Be patient and let's see what he's going to look like in February.

18 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

This would be the completely wrong time to negotiate a deal with Norman. He's at a high point right now and he can command best in the league money, so why not let him play the year out on his own contract? If he continues to play lights out, then his demanded price will still be at the top of the league for DBs. If he slows down a bit, or gets injured, the price table shifts in the team's favor a bit more.

He's great and he's having a stellar year, but there have been a number of "shutdown" corners that were one year wonders or the products of good defensive systems. Be patient and let's see what he's going to look like in February.

Yeah, definitely wasn't talking about giving him a contract in the middle of the season, everyone knows that probably wouldn't happen with DG anyway.

I think you have to trump the fake numbers with real, guaranteed cash.  That will be the difference between keeping and losing him.  How many 28 year old CBs play at that high level for 5-6 years?  Will Josh be able to do so?  One of the things I see getting posted is that CBs over 30 just aren't effective.  I have no idea, but that thought does weigh heavily on the discussions.

As I have mentioned a few times, and with a grunt from the huddle.....

We will most likely end up having to tag him, and let him play out next year, and try again for a long term deal.  He has a few things going against him when trying to get top end CB money.....mostly his age.

CJ's dead money next year if cut after June 1 is only 2M per season, one of the really big reasons I'm glad that DG didn't play with his contract in the offseason, even though his number is crazy high this year.  He will either be extended for a lower price, or cut.

Kalil's cap his is over 10M next season, which is very high for a C, but he is a good player, and has been pretty durable.  He will most likely restructure or be extended, but if not, his dead money would be 5M over two years if after a June 1 cut.  I don't see this happening....DG may let him play out next year and look at it again after 2016.

You tag Norman next year, and you would have paid a top 3 CB 14.5M over two years with little guaranteed money floating out there on the back end.  Not my ideal solution, but I think it's the one most likely to happen.

You have to get creative here.  Where does the $$ come from?

1. You will have some veterans who probably will not be retained-Cutting Harper and Chandler saves the team about $6m.

2.  Johnson is on the books for $15m salary, most unguaranteed for the first time, he can be cut.  That would save the team $11m.  The best option, however, is to try to extend his deal (he is 30) for about 3 more seasons, hopefully reducing his tag to around $7m.  That would save the team $8m. 

3. Jonathan Stewart will be a tough decision.  At 29, his contract is steep for a RB.  His contract was perhaps the dumbest thing Hurney ever did, but there is some fat to chop in 2016. I am not sure it would be worth it due to dead money,  but there is money to save by cutting him.  Same with Tolbert, but a smaller amount.  I also doubt Dwan Edwards at 35 will be back--that is another $1.5m or so (going from memory)

To me, how Gettlemen addresses these contracts in the offseason will determine what we offer Norman.  I would say a KK deal is more important.  He will have some tough decisions, but with the increase in cap for 2016, the carryover in cap space from 2015, CJ's extension--I think you can afford to re--sign KK and Norman. 

The Cats would sacrifice Harper, Chandler, possibly Stewart and Tolbert  to do it, possibly, but I would in a heartbeat.

Then, in the draft, I pick up a DE, DT, SS, CB, and OT.

Worry about Benjamin, Norwell, Turner in 2 years.  That will be a rather expensive period. 

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

You have to get creative here.  Where does the $$ come from?

1. You will have some veterans who probably will not be retained-Cutting Harper and Chandler saves the team about $6m.

2.  Johnson is on the books for $15m salary, most unguaranteed for the first time, he can be cut.  That would save the team $11m.  The best option, however, is to try to extend his deal (he is 30) for about 3 more seasons, hopefully reducing his tag to around $7m.  That would save the team $8m. 

3. Jonathan Stewart will be a tough decision.  At 29, his contract is steep for a RB.  His contract was perhaps the dumbest thing Hurney ever did, but there is some fat to chop in 2016. I am not sure it would be worth it due to dead money,  but there is money to save by cutting him.  Same with Tolbert, but a smaller amount.  I also doubt Dwan Edwards at 35 will be back--that is another $1.5m or so (going from memory)

To me, how Gettlemen addresses these contracts in the offseason will determine what we offer Norman.  I would say a KK deal is more important.  He will have some tough decisions, but with the increase in cap for 2016, the carryover in cap space from 2015, CJ's extension--I think you can afford to re--sign KK and Norman. 

The Cats would sacrifice Harper, Chandler, possibly Stewart and Tolbert  to do it, possibly, but I would in a heartbeat.

Then, in the draft, I pick up a DE, DT, SS, CB, and OT.

Worry about Benjamin, Norwell, Turner in 2 years.  That will be a rather expensive period. 

I agree with you, especially the part about KK being the most important after this season.  He was a 2nd rounder and carried no 5th year option, whereas Star did by being a 1st.  The best part of that, is we get to see Star for an extra year before having to decide how much money to throw his way.

What Josh is a little more important than KK, his age is against him here.  Being able to shut down the opposing no. 1 is very valuable in the NFL, but at what cost?

Archived