• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gil Brandt: trades that would make sense.. Megatron to Panthers

PanthersUnited

There's no way we could afford Megatron and pay players like Norman, Short, and Star - and we might not be able to pay all those guys anyway.  But, those guys are more central to our philosophy than an older receiver who would end up having our highest cap hit next year.  The teams that lose consistently are the ones like Detroit who overpay for the flashy guys like Megatron, even as good as he is.

This was  posted in the  trade post like an hr ago or so 

Posted 1 hour ago · Report post

Calvin Johnson, WR, to the Panthers

The thing that might make 1-6 Detroit want to move Johnson -- his high salary -- is also the thing that makes trading him very difficult. However, this is about trades I'd like to see, and Johnson to thePanthers makes sense. 6-0 Carolina has obviously been pretty good, but the team needs a wide receiver, and I'm not sure how far the Panthers can get without adding help. And while the 30-year-old Johnson might be picking up fewer yards per catch this season (13.3) than at any other point in his career, he would definitely qualify as help. Of course, Johnson's true value -- the face of the Lions' franchise would be worth a second-round pick at least -- is much higher than what the team could likely get for him on the market: something like a fifth-rounder, given the level of money involved. Perhaps the Panthers, who would also have to do some tinkering to make the numbers work, would do well to look toward Jeffery instead.

I would take  Alshon Jeffery  , lot younger and we have the art of shitting all over Chicago in trade deals

Year    Age    Tm    Pos   No.  G    GS    Tgt    Rec    Yds    Y/R    TD    Lng
2012    22    CHI     wr     17    10    6        48    24       367    15.3     3      55
2013*   23   CHI     WR    17    16    14    148    89      1421    16.0     7      80
2014    24    CHI    WR    17    16    16    145    85      1133    13.3    10     74
2015    25    CHI    wr      17      2     1      22    13        225    17.3      1     45
Career                                    44    37   363   211      3146    14.9    21     80

Who knows, we have good luck with Chicago trades... lol.

But, yeah, if (hypothetically) that trade WAS made and hypothetically we DID re-sign Marshall, then bye-bye J-No right?

Assume you mean Jeffrey. We would probably have to cut Charles Johnson(I think that's likely anyway), but it could be done without too much difficulty. I'm hoping we just sign him in the offseason anyway, but I don't think we will.

There's no way we could afford Megatron and pay players like Norman, Short, and Star - and we might not be able to pay all those guys anyway.  But, those guys are more central to our philosophy than an older receiver who would end up having our highest cap hit next year.  The teams that lose consistently are the ones like Detroit who overpay for the flashy guys like Megatron, even as good as he is.

Bengals, Packers, Broncos and Falcons seem to be doing ok this year with high priced "flashy guys."

If we do get rid of Stewart, would that free up a good bit of room to afford a big name WR? Does that free up about 8million extra on the cap?

why on earth would we ever cut J stew, he is actually playing up to his contract right now. Ride him till hes broken, then cut ties.

Even if we weren't able to resign him (which it isn't guaranteed we wouldn't), we would be dumb to not give up a 5th (if possible) or even a 4th. I'll give up a 4th for a rental that vastly improves our weakest position on offense and also gives us a very a real chance of winning the superbowl.

why on earth would we ever cut J stew, he is actually playing up to his contract right now. Ride him till hes broken, then cut ties.

Gonna have to disagree here.

Love what Stewie is doing this year, but is it really worth $8M per year?  Not when drafting quality RBs in lower rounds a dime-a-dozen is SOP these days, no.

(P.S. And his cap number next year is $9.5M)

Archived