• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is this Jake's last season?

firstdayfan

I've been reading a lot of "pundits" lately who really think that Jake's skills are diminishing and they even went as far to say that he has trouble with arm strength especially when throwing deep outs and curls. I've never really been one to believe these kinds of things but then I got to thinking about the Tommy John surgery and wondered how much left does Jake have in the tank. He does get hit a lot and generally tries to hold onto the ball until the last possible second. I think he is still a good QB and will probably throw for 3500 yards, 21 TD's and about 16 INT's (Which is perfect for this offense), but are the hits really beginning to weigh on the 34 year old Cajun?

I hate to see him not be the guy as I love Jake and he has been one of my favorite personalities for this team over the years. But I really have to wonder if this will be his last season of being a starting caliber QB. It would be really weird not seeing number 17 taking snaps out there. Thoughts?

I hope not. I would like to see the qb that is going to take his place sit behind him for at least a year to make a smoother transition. If you think Moore is our qb for the next 10 years, great. I'm just not sure he is.

He just signed a 5 year contract. I don't think he will be the starter for another 5 years, but I don't think he will play for only 1 of the 5 either.

Figure before I say one way or the other, I would see how he does this year. I don't see people commented about guys like Brady, McNabb, Bulger who are 32, Pennington and Manning are 33, Collins is 36. Sure you hear about guys like Favre, Warner getting old but they are 39 and 38 respectively. Even "young" guys like Brees are 30.

That doesn't include the fact that guys like Jake who were longterm backups in the league before they got their shot, don't have as much wear and tear on their bodies as guys who are younger but have taken more hits and damage.

Basically what's gonna happen is we will draft The Golden Calf of Bristol in the second round this year, Jake will be the starter for all of next season while The Golden Calf of Bristol learns the offense and how to play in the nfl. Two more years for Jake including this one, then it is all #15 at QB.

Yup, the extension they gave him = cap move. It also may have been a gesture to help Jake's confidence after that Arizona game.... I don't care who you are, when you have a game like that it rattles your confidence a little bit.

Guys like Warner and Collins are still going strong in their late 30's so I don't think Jake's age alone is a factor in his play, but so few QB's have had Tommy John surgery that the long term prognosis is really an unknown. Lots of pitchers have had the surgery and come back strong (including Tommy John) but throwing a baseball and throwing a football are two different motions and pitchers are not getting hit on the arm like Jake is.

Regardless of who you're taking about, when you have a QB in his mid-to-late 30's it's time to start lining up his replacment while hoping you won't need his services any time soon. Right now I don't think we have that guy on the roster, McCown is a decent backup and Moore is a work in progress. I think it would make sense for the Panthers in the coming offseason to make finding the next starting QB a high priority.

Archived