• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

End well, this will not....

Jeremy Igo

34DVvvj.jpg

I really don't find that terribly offensive. Dude is a big dude (big, not really fat). Kinda looks like Sione Fua....wait, maybe THAT was offensive. DTs are highly trained athletes. Would DE size be less offensive because DE's usually have less body fat?

Either way, I'm on board with the lynching. David Newton sucks as a writer, a record label, and as a MF crew. And if you wanna be down with David Newton, then...

YOU don't find it offensive, but HE does. PERIOD.  

How is that period? (again, prefacing this by saying that DNewton sucks). It's not as cut and dry as, "well, he found it offensive, so it's offensive". If you tell a waiter in a restaurant that they did a great job, and they inexplicably get offended, you're not an a-hole. Things are mean spirited, or they are not.

All I'm saying is that DT is not generally an offensive term, that it's generally used to describe athletes that are in better shape than me (and most of us on here), not fat guys. 

You are really lost. I can't even believe this has to be explained.

He did not mean DT as in "Wow that guys is really big and muscular!" He meant DT, like Vince Wilfork. Obviously the dude is over weight and obviously he was offended that Newton took his photo and posted that for his followers to get a chuckle out of.

The man has a weight problem, another man made fun of him because said weight problem, and the victim is offended. PERIOD. There is nothing else to it and if anything else needs to be explained, then it is not worth it for me.

Vince Wilfork IS a big muscular guy that, as a current starter, would likely disagree that he has a weight problem. Either way, I'm sure you have a better idea of how he meant it than he does. 

Carry on, but you're in charge of coming up with a new term for "interior defensive lineman" when draft season comes back around since DT is now derogatory. 

PS: If it comes out that the dude DID actually play football and was, in fact, a lineman, you owe David Newton (who does suck at life) a beer.

eh, valid. I guess I wouldn't say that they have weight problems, considering most of them, like all NFL players, are in pretty great shape. 

yeah, I think strength, body composition, and conditioning are three separate things that are getting conflated somewhat in this thread.  None of them are mutually exclusive from the others.

Holy poo. This guy is seriously trying to save face by saying Vince Wilfork is in great shape and being called a DT is a compliment rather than an insult. Holy poo that actually just happened.

The guy has won 2 super bowls.

I feel like there should be an SNL skit of NFL scouts talking to college players at the combine. When the team rep says "we think you could be our starting DT", the player would get all pissed about being called fat. 

Anyway, If dude found it offensive, then Newton should obviously apologize, but with no knowledge, I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that the comment was intended to be nasty. 

yeah, I think strength, body composition, and conditioning are three separate things that are getting conflated somewhat in this thread.  None of them are mutually exclusive from the others.

Again, valid. But referring to someone as a DT implies that they are higher on the strength and conditioning areas than adjectives that people use when saying something mean. 

Again, valid. But referring to someone as a DT implies that they are higher on the strength and conditioning areas than adjectives that people use when saying something mean. 

On the other hand, it's hard to play DT in the NFL without being at least 325 pounds, and it's pretty hard to get to 325 pounds without having at least 30% body fat.  You basically have to be fat to do the job, no matter how strong you are, or you're going to get moved around with ease.

Holy poo you have to be trolling. There is no way anybody could be this ignorant.

Did you know a lot of these guys struggle to put weight ON to be a DT in the NFL? And wait a second, did you know that they get PAID to be Defensive Tackles in this league?

You don't walk up to someone you don't know and say, "DAMN! DIDNT KNOW THEY MADE JERSEYS IN VINCENT WILFORK SIZE HAHAHAHA".

YOU DONT. FUGGING. DO THAT. PERIOD. 

He didn't say Vince Wilfork, you did, when assuming his intentions. You don't have to be a dick.

I'm just saying that there is a difference between calling someone a DT and calling them fat, just like there is a difference between calling someone anorexic and calling them a gymnast. 

Archived