• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smiths thoughts on returning punts..

dpanthersman

At first, Smith seemed open to the idea, saying, “I either can accept that role or refuse that role or take it as a compliment. I’m just taking every opportunity I get to matriculate the ball down the field and however that happens, that’s how it’s going to happen.”

He seems more open to doing it, or at least doing it because he realizes the team needs it. It is also refreshing to hear he didn’t want to return due to a cracked rib, and not simply because he had outgrown the position.

no thanks...too big of a risk.

At first, Smith seemed open to the idea, saying, “I either can accept that role or refuse that role or take it as a compliment. I’m just taking every opportunity I get to matriculate the ball down the field and however that happens, that’s how it’s going to happen.”

However, when reminded he hasn’t always wanted to return punts in the past, Smith said, “Well I cracked a rib a couple of years ago and that kind of make you think differently. I cracked a rib and separated it. For people who think maybe I’m getting too big for my britches and I don’t want to do it, a cracked and separated rib make you change your mind on a lot of things.”

btw...matriculate?

I do not think it means what you think it means.

inigo.jpg

oh...missed the hank stram reference. flew over my head. funny.

He seems more open to doing it, or at least doing it because he realizes the team needs it. It is also refreshing to hear he didn’t want to return due to a cracked rib, and not simply because he had outgrown the position.

Well, I'd be scared of injuries as a a returner too. I mean, you are often left in the open to be hit by numerous guys who are focused on you, whereas when you catch a pass, often times guys are out of place and have to regroup to take you down. Just think about kickoff returns... every single person is focused on you and they don't have to regroup at all. Ouch. :o

no thanks...too big of a risk.

Definitely. If he goes down... oh no.

Well, I'd be scared of injuries as a a returner too. I mean, you are often left in the open to be hit by numerous guys who are focused on you, whereas when you catch a pass, often times guys are out of place and have to regroup to take you down. Just think about kickoff returns... every single person is focused on you and they don't have to regroup at all. Ouch. :o

Not only that but it's a bunch of special teamers trying to prove what they got.

The only way I'd be for Smith returning a punt is in a critical game situation or simply to psych out the other team.

No matter how bad our punt returners get, the risk of injury to Smith is way, way to big to warrant sending him out there.

Of course, if he goes to the coach and tells him to put him in (like against Seattle that time in the playoffs), you let him go and start working your way through the Rosary.

Archived