• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Funchess getting pushed around still

Jeremy Igo

Proehl had said that he's been working on getting Funchess to better utilize his physical tools.  Funch looked great in the offseason when there was no/limited contact.  Struggling with the increased physical play of the NFL is why WRs historically needed some time to adapt.  While it isn't nearly as physical as it used to be, it's still more physical than college.  I think Funch will be fine in the long run and he has a great example in KB to show him the way once he's back, but I'm not sure he's going to play a major role as a rookie and that sucks because we need him with KB out.  But, it is what it is. Rookies will develop when they develop.

People are so spoiled after the best WR class in history last year. That was an anomaly and we will most likely never see that again. Give the kid time. It's only his 3rd game and he finally got his 1st NFL hit. People write off players so damn fast it's crazy.

Exactly. The dude is 20. He can't even buy alcohol. Give him a season at least. 

I like Olsen's words on the Funchess catch, saying he immediately went up to him and said "That's the play of the game". Obviously it was said before our weekly secondary/Norman game-saving turnover, but in terms of making a big play on third down despite a big hit (which earned him/us more yards) it was big.

Olsen's one of our many leaders and it was good for him to put an arm around Funchess like that, and will only aid his development.

all I know is that he got absolutely demolished on that play where the personal foul was called. 9 out of 10 WRs in the league would have laid down for a while or been on concussion protocol. Not Funchess, he popped right up and gave an emphatic Cam-esque First Down move. I literally got up from my couch and was like, he finally arrived.

I expect more and more from him as the season wears on

ehhhh I'm all for optimism but I remember Lafell getting absolutely creamed in 2013 and holding onto the ball. one play isn't representative of a body of work. However, I do expect him to improve as the season goes on, but tempered expectations are required.

Whoa what happened in here. So much butt hurt, so little time. 

I was simply pointing out that Funchess is still struggling with one aspect of the game, something he has struggled with in camp. I didn't call him soft. I didn't say he was a bust. Just needs to learn to use his size to his advantage in certain situations here. 

So much dumb in this thread. Calm down. 

Archived