• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Don't be shocked if Luke is out again this week

Jeremy Igo

If it were up to me I'd rest Luke and Star both until after the Tampa trip and get them back in pads over the bye week. Then we roll up to Seattle with a healthy Luke, Cam, Star, and Daryl Williams and blow their fuging minds.

Eh, I understand that strategy with Kuechly but it's been forever since Star played in a game.  If he's healthy, it'd be in our best interests to get him in there before the roughest part of our schedule.  Plus the bye week is right around the corner so it will give him even more time to rest.

I had a feeling that he wouldn't.

My question is this. Was his particular concussion that severe, or are they gonna give him more time to recover in hopes that he doesn't have another one immediately after his return.

I realize that there's not much one can do to prevent them especially with his aggressive style of play.

we likely won't know the answer until Ron talks to the media.

Wondering the same. I don't want to jump to any conclusions but it's coming off like Luke hasn't progressed well and they don't want to ruin the positive momentum from last week by talking about it. I don't know the protocol though, maybe they aren't allowed to comment on it. 

I think the fans would be happy if they just came out like "we're going to give him all the time he needs" or something. They went from sounding positive and routine in the early stages of protocol to virtual silence.

Same to me, but surely they would have checked all of that right?

You hope so, and I would think they would check that. I will say though, Sidney Crosby had a bit of an issue like this. He had concussion symptoms for months before they found out that he had a slight spinal injury that required surgery. He was cleared and good to go after the procedure, but it took over half the NHL season before doctors figured out what was up.

I'm not saying this is what's happening with Luke and with that kind of hit I think it's certainly more obvious to check for spinal issues in addition to concussion symptoms. Just kind of thinking out loud I guess.

I would much rather have Luke get healthy first rather than run the risk of another concussion in a very short period of time.  He is one heck of a playmaker and of course it is hard to NOT see him on the field as a fan and he is a vital piece of the defense.  The long term potential ramifications are not worth the risk to his health nor the team.  He only knows one way to play and that is balls out.  I can't see him taking it easy nor would Rivera and company want to take the risk we could lose him for a much longer period.  Klein is doing a solid job and has been an asset to the team.  We are lucky to have this kind of talent in our LB core.  The LUUUUKE fan in me wants more longer term….so yeah, I am ok if he sits out another game.

Ultimately, research indicates 4-6 weeks recovery time for a more severe concussion.  Head injuries have a way of compounding if not aloud enough time to properly heal.  With the fact that he plays MLB, a very head injury prone position, and that we just paid this man millions of dollars.  I say let him sit till after the bye week.  Better than losing him for the season or worse. 

Archived