• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The teams that "won Free Agency" are a combined 1-5.

PanthersUnited

I don't care about necessarily making a big FA "splash". I only want us going after players that we need or can contribute immediately, in some role. Even if that is just solid depth. However, I don't want that depth signing to be a guy we got on the cheap for the sake of him being cheap. As long as he is the highest quality backup that we can afford and fits our system the best, I'm good. I'll take signing no name FAs and having them give us good field time, if/when they do get in over making big moves and suffering from not addressing areas we need (since you don't draft for need).

Off topic, but I swear PU has to be a SCP alt or a Jeremy alt.

Look at the last 4 SB winners all of them had at least one big name they acquired through free agency or a trade

But yeah keep that "we only build through the draft" mindset

I know that Seattle got Harvin, but since he didn't play much in their SB season, not sure he counts.  Who else did they get?  Maybe Lynch? 

Fwiw, we haven't had the cap space to be a big free agent player yet, but we might this season. 

Look at the last 4 SB winners all of them had at least one big name they acquired through free agency or a trade

But yeah keep that "we only build through the draft" mindset

And what did they do in the years prior? Built through the draft, retained their own core players, and got themselves in good cap shape to make said moves. Sounds like a plan similar to Gettleman's, no? 

This thread has turned into a much more solid discussion than I anticipated. Props to @PanthersUnited. My apologies. @KB_fan has a current thread going about rookies that ties into this.

I also think the parity created by the salary cap is an influencer in this as well. For decades bottom dwelling teams stayed bottom dwelling teams. The salary cap allowed every team to have a chance (relatively) every year.

This reinforces the idea among fans and some Front Offices that the team may only be one or two pieces away. Since teams are now more often less dominant an impact player here or there can have much more of an impact. 

Put Reggie White on the 1976 Bucs and they will still lose. Put him on the 2015 Packers (hell on any team in 2015)? Much more of an impact because the rest of the teams talent level are much more similar in 2015.

Carry that through to fan expectations and you have a real desire to see that one move that could positively impact the team. But, alas, the White Whale that is Reggie White is just as rare today as he was then. This fans and teams are generally disappointed with FAs when they don't meet their perhaps unrealistic expectations.

I was just reading the CBS Free Agency grades for the past off season.  Only Green Bay got an A.  Indy got a C- while Philly got a C.  Seems about right so far. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/25110262/nfl-free-agency-grades-32-grades-for-32-teams-but-only-one-a

IMO, free agents sometimes need a little while to acclimate to a new team.  So it might be a little early to write some of them off.  

oh man this post is going to jimmy russel some folks

I don't think anyone wanted to spend a ton, but signing someone like Stevie Johnson or along those lines would have been genius right now.  Instead, we have this WR core.   We had 2 holes, WR and OL, and there wasn't much OL, but there was definitely some WRs to be had, and not break the banks like Torrey Smith.  

I seen like a handful of WRs scoring TDs on their new teams Sunday.

I don't think anyone wanted to spend a ton, but signing someone like Stevie Johnson or along those lines would have been genius right now.  Instead, we have this WR core.   We had 2 holes, WR and OL, and there wasn't much OL, but there was definitely some WRs to be had, and not break the banks like Torrey Smith.  

Agreed.  Would have loved Stevie Johnson at the $3MM or so that he got.  Wouldn't have minded Cecil Shorts either or possibly Eddie Royal ($5MM is a bit steep), but everyone else was way too expensive for this offense.

Have you considered that maybe Stevie didn't want to play here?

Archived