• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The teams that "won Free Agency" are a combined 1-5.

PanthersUnited

Those Panther fans  who have been around since the beginning know that when we spent in free agency to bring in talent in the past  we rarely got our monies worth. Guys who are high dollar free agents are often good but not so much better than guys who are much cheaper to justify the cost.  

It is good that the OP is willing to admit they were wrong. On the other hand sometimes observing and listening to those who have been there and done that help you avoid being wrong in the first place.  Too many times guys ignore posters who know the history of the team because they think they know better or that in the new NFL old paradigms don't work. Times change but often truisms still apply.  And one of those is that you have to,develop through the draft and build from the inside not the outside. Free agents should supplement the draft not replace it unless you are literally one piece away from the Super Bowl. Many teams think they are that close but most rarely are. 

Just sayin........

Because free agents are typically (but not always) free agents for a reason.

You end up overpaying for underachievers that may name recognition but actually arent that good.

If they were huge difference makers their original teams would have prioritized them.

Also, it takes a couple of seasons to get comfortable with new scheme and teammates, but immediate expectations for free agents are usually too high and when they underperform people panic.

Personally I have always perferred pur method of scrounging for solid players or players undervalued.

Because truly the few true difference makers that are out there, even their salaries become inflated by bidding wars so it hurts you in other positions.

Draft well, and find diamonds.  If you can get a guy at a reasonable price great.  But don't break your piggy bank for a guy another team doesnt feel is valuable enough to break theirs

Meanwhile, the Panthers were viewed as being "losers" in FA are 2-0. To be perfectly honest, the last few years I was always pounding the table so to speak for us to be FA players however seeing how throwing money at players and hoping it works might not be the most prudent way of building a team. I know, accuse me of being a flip flopper or "worse than a woman." I am confident enough to admit that I change my stances when I see certain things just dont work, so sue me for changing my stance when circumstances change.

Anyway.. The Dolphins, Colts and Eagles are the three most active teams in FA and they are a combined 1-5. Meanwhile, the Panthers got bashed by the media for only adding Oher, Ginn and other team's cast offs yet we are 2-0.

So what are your thoughts on why adding big FAs just never works in the NFL? I have always been fascinated why year after year teams throw money around at big time guys and almost without fail every season they end up disappointing in a big way..

Oh and #Gettlemagic

The winners of FA and the off-season are often the biggest losers come the beginning of meaningful football. When was the last time a big FA actually took a team to the Super Bowl? Drew Brees? 

The teams that win consistently grow their own talent and pick up moderate priced veterans that fill roles rather than make headlines. 

Those Panther fans  who have been around since the beginning know that when we spent in free agency to bring in talent in the past  we rarely got our monies worth. Guys who are high dollar free agents are often good but not so much better than guys who are much cheaper to justify the cost.  

It is good that the OP is willing to admit they were wrong. On the other hand sometimes observing and listening to those who have been there and done that help you avoid being wrong in the first place.  Too many times guys ignore posters who know the history of the team because they think they know better or that in the new NFL old paradigms don't work. Times change but often truisms still apply.  And one of those is that you have to,develop through the draft and build from the inside not the outside. Free agents should supplement the draft not replace it unless you are literally one piece away from the Super Bowl. Many teams think they are that close but most rarely are. 

Just sayin........

I think of your sig and follow that advice every time I see a PU thread

The reason this thread is monotonous is two fold.

One, this is the exact same discussion held every off season. But I suppose one could argue that new posters or younger fans don't have the benefit of those discussions and so therefore these discussions have merit in being rehashed and thus bear fruit when those new to the discussion come away with the reasoned knowledge of the discussion.

Which brings me to two, it wasn't 2 weeks ago that OP was lamenting loudly that a FA WR absolutely needed and that the season was a doom without said unnamed unsigned WR. While being a captive of our own emotions is certainly human, acting on them (re lamenting loudly) amounts to a tantrum when you've been told the rationale behind NOT doing such things repeatedly.

So when the same poster makes the same comments it is viewed as childish and stubborn. Almost petulant. However, when OP seemingly becomes aware of his error and makes yet another post...one could applaud the growth...or take the opportunity to continue to childishly find the comedy.

I'm only human and not above satisfying my own childishness. It's often entertaining...if only to me. I don't feel I'm any better than PanthersUnited. And so I feel I can mock him because I too can just as easily be mocked.

For the record, I think he takes it very well (if not reveling in it). :)

Free Agency isn't about not playing it, or being bug winners. 

It's how it's played. 

Successful franchises build through the draft, and use free agency to get the role players. 

If the situation will ever present itself,  have no doubt that Gettleman would sign  big free agent if he 

A) felt the need

B) player was a good fit

And c) price is right.

Fans so often just want the top players available at position of need. 

Understandable.

It just doesn't work that way. 

I will say this Revis has been the best and most consistent free agent of this era besides sproles , 3 different teams same result 

eagles seem to just sign players that don't fit there scheme, gm and coach need to be on the same page this is twice in a decade this happen to them, may still be too early to determine this season though

I will say this Revis has been the best and most consistent free agent of this era besides sproles , 3 different teams same result 

eagles seem to just sign players that don't fit there scheme, gm and coach need to be on the same page this is twice in a decade this happen to them, may still be too early to determine this season though

That seems to be an exceptional problem for the Eagles, if what you say is true, since the GM and Coach are the same person.

Archived