• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The teams that "won Free Agency" are a combined 1-5.

PanthersUnited

tumblr_lxwbr5Ufg71qiy8cfo1_500.gif

yep, Zod has upgraded. People can't even tell it is a bot.

The 4 teams in the NFC and AFC Championships last year.....none started 2-0.  Season is early...pretty much al 4 of those teams were questioned at some point the first 8 weeks

Good thread PU. You are the Philly Brown of posters. The potential is there, then the yips, then a long TD grab. 

fug the FA winners. I hope we "lose" FA next year too. Rather spend money on our own, who we know fit our system, than on a wild card looking to cash in. Draft BPA if it doesn't work out so we can balk at one of our FA role players looking to cash in. 

Honestly this isn't a bad thread. It's true the winners haven't been winning. As far as why free agency doesn't work but every fan keeps calling for it is really quite simple. Let's say a CB who played great or had big numbers gets big money through free agency. He gets to said team (cough Eagles cough) but doesn't reproduce those WOW plays/stats. You look back and see he had a very good scheme/d-line/coach/etc. on his last team.....that he doesn't have now.

- a WR had a good QB or a fellow WR that helped free him up. Now he doesn't.

- a defensive end had talented guys at DT and the other end, not anymore.

- a RB played in a system suited for his style.....yada yada yada.

Short version:

It's about the whole puzzle coming together, not one or two pieces.

i see two of those teams getting it together mainly eagles and colts due to there division, Miami's going to be in a dog fight with the way NY and the Bills are playing. Eagles out of the three teams,made some really questionable moves that any average football fan could see being a problem, Colts won't be in a slump long, they played two of the top defenses and once they're healthy may make a run at the end of the season.

Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, and even Drew Brees won a bunch of games with their new teams. I guess it is unfair to include Hall of Fame QBs in the discussion though.

I agree, but franchise QBs rarely rarely hit FA. I know it's pretty much cherry picking, but that's what "winning" in free agency counts as. Every year foolish teams throw big money at Haynesworth or Wallace. Every year those teams get a low ROI from a player who's success relied on the scheme. 

No one's saying don't sign any free agents, ever. Just to not fall for the fool's gold that so many GMs foolishly and inexplicably chase. 

QB's should be the exception, because when a franchise QB is acquired via FA or trade, the system should be re-tooled to that QB's strengths.  

I was just reading the CBS Free Agency grades for the past off season.  Only Green Bay got an A.  Indy got a C- while Philly got a C.  Seems about right so far. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/25110262/nfl-free-agency-grades-32-grades-for-32-teams-but-only-one-a

Indianapolis Colts

They got older. That's never a good thing. But general manager Ryan Grigson must really think his team is ready to challenge for a Super Bowl. They were close last year, but Andrew Luck hid a lot of flaws to get there. Signing 32-year-old running back Frank Gore and 33-year-old receiver Andre Johnson are moves that I don't really like. You don't pay to get older. On defense, Trent Cole is another aging player signed. Defensive end/tackle Kendall Langford will help the run defense and they re-signed nickel corner Darius Butler and safety Mike Adams.

IMO, free agents sometimes need a little while to acclimate to a new team.  So it might be a little early to write some of them off.  

a panthersunited thread with merit! we should all provide positive reinforcement and comment nicely.

i think two weeks is a small sample size given NFL trends and streaks and massive outcome variability. i also think this doesn't say much about the effectiveness of free agency as a source for improving a football team.

what it does demonstrate is that teams that go out and make big splashes aren't necessarily making good moves, and further that teams that don't aren't necessarily making good moves. these observations should induce a ritalin-like effect on the huddle's frothing masses.

another thing it demonstrates is that gettles is a fuging boss.

Archived