• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam's QB Ratings

MedellinHeel

Cam is the 12th rated QB on PFF.  Their evaluation is still done by a 3rd party that is not privy to what the coaches wanted, assignments, etc., but it is surely a much better evaluation than ESPN's QBR.  The eyeball test would tell you Newton has played about like the 12th best QB in the league through 2 weeks much more than a guy near the bottom.

I really don't believe any evaluation (or anything really) done by ESPN at this point is a legitimate endeavor.  ESPN creates narratives, and then frames the story to fit.  ESPN cares about ratings, and the longer they go on the more apparent it becomes.  I don't think they even try to hide it for the most part, outside of John Clayton and a few others who I guess are supposed to help them maintain a modicum of football knowledge legitimacy.  Football injuries and controversies are the prevailing content for any segment on football.  Seriously, outside of the primetime games and the high ratings generating teams, I don't think ESPN even shows worthwhile highlights from games anymore that would actually allow you to understand how the game went outside of a couple splash plays (and this doesn't just include the Panthers).  Most Panthers coverage is relegated to injuries or controversies.  The most coverage the Panthers got last year was Newton's injuries (primarily the automobile crash)

Cam is the 12th rated QB on PFF.  Their evaluation is still done by a 3rd party that is not privy to what the coaches wanted, assignments, etc., but it is surely a much better evaluation than ESPN's QBR.  The eyeball test would tell you Newton has played about like the 12th best QB in the league through 2 weeks much more than a guy near the bottom.

I really don't believe any evaluation (or anything really) done by ESPN at this point is a legitimate endeavor.  ESPN creates narratives, and then frames the story to fit.  ESPN cares about ratings, and the longer they go on the more apparent it becomes.  I don't think they even try to hide it for the most part, outside of John Clayton and a few others who I guess are supposed to help them maintain a modicum of football knowledge legitimacy.  Football injuries and controversies are the prevailing content for any segment on football.  Seriously, outside of the primetime games and the high ratings generating teams, I don't think ESPN even shows worthwhile highlights from games anymore that would actually allow you to understand how the game went outside of a couple splash plays (and this doesn't just include the Panthers).  Most Panthers coverage is relegated to injuries or controversies.  The most coverage the Panthers got last year was Newton's injuries (primarily the automobile crash)

I don't believe in ESPN's QBR either. It's a complete joke.

Speaking of QB ratings..... LOL!  Gotta give David Newton some credit for actually following up this angle that we were all joking about ("Russian judge gives him a 3" etc...).  Makes for a really fun read.

David Newton @DNewtonespn 11m11 minutes ago

Gymnasts rate Cam Newton's end zone flip http://es.pn/1NQTHcI  #Panthers

I enjoyed the article. This HAS to be the best article David Newton has ever written.

Archived