• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shula "discouraged" by lack of points....

Jeremy Igo

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Four-Takeaways-From-Coordinators-Conversation-/d95d792b-9249-4011-a9de-1142a46580f5

To be fair, this exact quote could have been pulled from 1997-1999 in Tampa Bay.  

Your disdain for Shula is clouding what little bit of unbiased judgement that you have.

Without the BS call on Olsen and Ginn's drop of a wide open TD pass, the offensive scheme would have put up 24 points.  But then again, let's just blame Shula for the Olsen and Ginn fiaso's. 

Shula called a great game last week....you idiots just can't admit it.

Your disdain for Shula is clouding what little bit of unbiased judgement that you have.

Without the BS call on Olsen and Ginn's drop of a wide open TD pass, the offensive scheme would have put up 24 points.  But then again, let's just blame Shula for the Olsen and Ginn fiaso's. 

Shula called a great game last week....you idiots just can't admit it.

Every team every week has plays that are miscues, but still manage to score plenty of points. 

You guys act like the Panthers are the only team that drops passes. Every other team executes 100%. 

Pretty silly, but I won't go so far and be completely classless as to call you an idiot over it. That would make me a giant douche. 

Every team every week has plays that are miscues, but still manage to score plenty of points. 

You guys act like the Panthers are the only team that drops passes. Every other team executes 100%. 

Pretty silly, but I won't go so far and be completely classless as to call you an idiot over it. That would make me a giant douche. 

You know, I would LOVE for you to have Shula on your podcast.  I'm not kidding either.  Bring him on and get his take on things, particularly the perception fans have of him.

Defense sucked when Chud was here in part to the fact that they were on the field the whole game. Our offense either zipped down the field and scored in a minute or went 3 and out. Chud did more damage to our defense than any opponent. 

You're also failing to acknowledge the massive disparity in talent. 

Chud had Gross, Wharton, Smith, LaFell, Shockey, etc.

Shula has/had Oher, Bell, Chandler, Ginn, Philly, Bersin, etc.

Yeah you clearly don't remember Cam and the offense taking leads only to lose them either because of defense or special teams or the defense inability to get the ball back without giving up a TD or in time for the O to do something. In the past 2 years, we got to to the playoffs cause of defense first offense second

All the rest you talking about is excuses. Chud scored more, but he didn't win more. Now its Chud had more talent wow

Who did Chud have on defense that was doing poo?

I'm surprised that what hasn't come up is the actual offense we run which in my opinion is not the most ideal for Cam but we can win with Cam's added elements to it. 

This may sound wrong (so correct me if you think so) but Shula runs almost a hybrid AC/EP with read-option and full house sets added in.  I think you can technically call our offense Erhardt Perkins but Shula's playcalling doesn't make it seem to be the case.

I think a strict loose huddle style EP system is what fits Cam.  It's what he's trying to do more of this year but when you try to run it as a slow, methodical, clock burning offense, you can't get unique and flexible with route designs and they end up being either very simple and sometimes too long to draw out.   Also, we don't have as many near crossing routes or well executed enough slip-screen plays to have it running in full gear (which is what many other EP offenses do).  I truly think our simplified route designs are a major fault of the offense.   EP should be a tough learn for WRs.  Our WR coach is an AC guy and our OC has simplified AC routes designed for an EP playbook. 

Just my two cents.  

I don't know enough to say if your words are right, wrong or a collection of words I don't understand. Scratch that, it's definitely a collection of words I don't understand. Perhaps someday I'll be able to have an intelligent conversation about what you said but it will take some time and effort.

Having said that, I'll wait to see what Mr Scot says as he's the other poster that speaks to AC v EP. I've even read Wikipedia about this and decided I'll just watch the conversation between you guys and learn.

We didn't win more games during the Chud era b/c coaching IMO was worse overall than it is now....

Rivera who still is learning to be a HC is better now.  He could of won some of those Chud era games by not playing not to lose at the end of games...that was big IMO

I'm surprised that what hasn't come up is the actual offense we run which in my opinion is not the most ideal for Cam but we can win with Cam's added elements to it. 

This may sound wrong (so correct me if you think so) but Shula runs almost a hybrid AC/EP with read-option and full house sets added in.  I think you can technically call our offense Erhardt Perkins but Shula's playcalling doesn't make it seem to be the case.

I think a strict loose huddle style EP system is what fits Cam.  It's what he's trying to do more of this year but when you try to run it as a slow, methodical, clock burning offense, you can't get unique and flexible with route designs and they end up being either very simple and sometimes too long to draw out.   Also, we don't have as many near crossing routes or well executed enough slip-screen plays to have it running in full gear (which is what many other EP offenses do).  I truly think our simplified route designs are a major fault of the offense.   EP should be a tough learn for WRs.  Our WR coach is an AC guy and our OC has simplified AC routes designed for an EP playbook. 

Just my two cents.  

Well, Mike Shula's coach while he was QB at Bama was Ray Perkins, so I'm sure the EP system has had a great influence on this coaching philosophy.

Well, Mike Shula's coach while he was QB at Bama was Ray Perkins, so I'm sure the EP system has had a great influence on this coaching philosophy.

Yep, it's technically what we run but what I was referring to is that we're kind of a hybrid system between Air Coryell and Erhardt-Perkins.  When it clicks and Shula calls a good game, it can look great but it's a little cooky on the WR front.  If we get a WR on a podcast, I'd love Zod to ask about how complex the playbook is for them because I don't want to assume too much but calling it like I see it.  I've been in the realms of J Franklin and Chris Ault so tend to have some bias.

Eagles had a drive last night that started on the 5 yard line, had 4 penalties and one drop that would have been for a big gain. They still scored a TD on that drive.

I remember watching that thinking not even in my wildest dreams would a Shula lead offense be able to overcome all that and still score a TD. I know people always want to defend it and say "well yeah if not for that bogus penalty or drop blah blah blah" but it's a problem when a single penalty or drop is a drive killer 90% of the time. Those things happen all the time, good coordinators find a way to overcome them.

And yet that offenseLOST to a team with a terrible defense.

Archived