• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shula "discouraged" by lack of points....

Jeremy Igo

Dude do you remember when cam first got here? Those 2 years? I'm not buying the owner Jerry telling his people to focus on defense. Chud would still be here if he didn't get a HC Job. Ron just didn't make the best decision choosing Shula, Jerry didn't force him to do that and Jerry not forcing him to keep him

Yeah I remember having Shockey, Olsen, Smitty, Lafell, Stewart, and D. Williams

I really doubt that DG listens to either Shula or McD when planning his draft strategy or making his picks.

They absolutely provide input to help set up the board after visits and workouts.

They may not have a direct role on draft day, only because their input has already been factored in.

Do you honestly believe they would draft a player like Shaq without Sean's input?

The poor guy even had the misfortune of coaching Alabama who as we know is the bottom of the barrel and barely even accredited. Nobody could succeed there.

Thanks for reminding me of that.  As head coach of one of the best programs in college football history, Shula barely had a .500 record in 4 years (26-23).  And, yes, his offenses at Bama were poo too.

Hey guys Hixon was 12-4 as a Carolina Panther WR why did they get rid of him? wtf

Oh you mean teams can succeed and win with weak spots or in spite of certain conditions? 

In the meantime i'll always be rooting for upgrades at any spot in the organization.

Dude do you remember when cam first got here? Those 2 years? I'm not buying the owner Jerry telling his people to focus on defense. Chud would still be here if he didn't get a HC Job. Ron just didn't make the best decision choosing Shula, Jerry didn't force him to do that and Jerry not forcing him to keep him

You do realize that Shula offense scored more than Chuds offense in 2012 right? Look at the points per game.  According to NFL.com

In 2012 with Chudzinski the patron saint of offenses, we scored 22.3 points per game. 

In 2013 with Shula the worst offensive coordinator in the history of the universe we scored 22.9 points per game.

Now.  Whats the difference between 2012 and 2013?

First of all we won 5 more games.

We went from 19th in TOP to 4th in TOP.

So we held the ball longer and scored .6 more points.

Our 3rd down percentage increased.

Our TO per game decreased.

You do realize that Shula offense scored more than Chuds offense in 2012 right? Look at the points per game.  According to NFL.com

In 2012 with Chudzinski the patron saint of offenses, we scored 22.3 points per game. 

In 2013 with Shula the worst offensive coordinator in the history of the universe we scored 22.9 points per game.

Now.  Whats the difference between 2012 and 2013?

First of all we won 5 more games.

We went from 19th in TOP to 4th in TOP.

So we held the ball longer and scored .6 more points.

Our 3rd down percentage increased.

Our TO per game decreased.

I wasn't really referring to that, but to his comment about Jerry controlling the team. And .3 and .9 isn't any difference

Chud scored more in his 1st 2 years than Shula in his 1st 2

I'm surprised that what hasn't come up is the actual offense we run which in my opinion is not the most ideal for Cam but we can win with Cam's added elements to it. 

This may sound wrong (so correct me if you think so) but Shula runs almost a hybrid AC/EP with read-option and full house sets added in.  I think you can technically call our offense Erhardt Perkins but Shula's playcalling doesn't make it seem to be the case.

I think a strict loose huddle style EP system is what fits Cam.  It's what he's trying to do more of this year but when you try to run it as a slow, methodical, clock burning offense, you can't get unique and flexible with route designs and they end up being either very simple and sometimes too long to draw out.   Also, we don't have as many near crossing routes or well executed enough slip-screen plays to have it running in full gear (which is what many other EP offenses do).  I truly think our simplified route designs are a major fault of the offense.   EP should be a tough learn for WRs.  Our WR coach is an AC guy and our OC has simplified AC routes designed for an EP playbook. 

Just my two cents.  

Archived