• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shula "discouraged" by lack of points....

Jeremy Igo

there isn't one way to build a team or even one right way.  You could of brought in 5 great GMs and they all could of gone in different directions. 

Dave seems very clearly to be a defensive guy.  He walked into an organization that had a future QB entering his 3rd year and the franchise was doing nothing to build around him in regards to looking ahead...what does Dave do? Double down on DTs.  Next year he did use the first on a weapon but at that point we are way behind on building around Cam.   Goes right back to D with a unque LB when we already had the best 4-3 LB corp.

So can people legitimately grip about the O and not doing enough? Sure.   I'm sure other GMs would have done things different.  Doesn't really make it right or wrong.  

Means Dave clearly is a defensive old school dude.  So his priority isn't Cam's offense nor does he think like say the Colts GM in terms of how to win.  Can win both ways

I agree but I don't really understand all the bitching from some when, heading into training camp, most of the board thought we were in pretty good shape WR wise.  Then KB goes down for the year, Funch gets hurt, and Brown gets the yips and now DG is getting thrown under the bus for not  "doing enough" to strengthen the WR position.  We've drafted a 1st round and 2nd round WR in back to back drafts so it isn't like he's whistling past the graveyard and hoping everything works out alright (like he did with LT last year).  Now its certainly a fact that we basically got zero production from those two picks in game 1 and won't be getting any all season from one of them but injuries go with the territory in the NFL and KB going down pretty much screwed us.  Nothing to do but man up and try to get it done without him.

No use for hyperbole.  You're putting examples up of more poo rosters.  That's the point.  You like offense, Carolina ain't for you, never has been...so why are a fan?  I've been there since day 1 and we've ALWAYS been more concentrated on the defensive side of the ball.  Don't like it?  Buy the team and put in your offensive superstars (OC included) and watch the fans tear you apart for the poo defense.

Dude, did you really just say that if I wanted any validity to my opinion on the poo offense the Panthers have, I have to buy the team?

2811620-1613779424-GIF-A.gif

In 1996, his Tampa offense finished 30th in scoring out of 30 teams.

1997?  23rd out of 30.

1998? 18th out of 30.

1999? 27th out of 31.

2013? 19th out of 32.

2014? 19th out of 32.

I guess poor ol' Mike has been cursed with never ever ever ever ever having "weapons".

The poor guy even had the misfortune of coaching Alabama who as we know is the bottom of the barrel and barely even accredited. Nobody could succeed there.

That's a separate argument. I didn't say Shaq was the wrong pick. I didn't say we should have taken a WR. My point is that Shula (my guess) wanted an offensive weapon rather than Shaq. McD wanted Shaq, and he got what he wanted.

Gettleman is the guy who makes the final decision.  The Assistant coaches might have some input, but if you think that anyone other than Gettleman makes the final decision, you haven't been paying attention.  Gettleman felt that Shaq was the BPA, and that is pretty much the end of the discussion.  Had there been a receiver he felt was a better value than Shaq, its likely that receiver would be putting on a Panthers uniform. 

Dude, did you really just say that if I wanted any validity to my opinion on the poo offense the Panthers have, I have to buy the team?

2811620-1613779424-GIF-A.gif

I'm saying our offense has never been that great since the very beginning of our franchise.  This is due in large part by the owner of the team choosing to focus more resources on defense.  So yes, you need to either buy the team or accept that fact that our defense is where the focus was, is, and will be until you or someone else buys the team and moves it in another direction.

I'm saying our offense has never been that great since the very beginning of our franchise.  This is due in large part by the owner of the team choosing to focus more resources on defense.  So yes, you need to either buy the team or accept that fact that our defense is where the focus was, is, and will be until you or someone else buys the team and moves it in another direction.

Dude do you remember when cam first got here? Those 2 years? I'm not buying the owner Jerry telling his people to focus on defense. Chud would still be here if he didn't get a HC Job. Ron just didn't make the best decision choosing Shula, Jerry didn't force him to do that and Jerry not forcing him to keep him

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Four-Takeaways-From-Coordinators-Conversation-/d95d792b-9249-4011-a9de-1142a46580f5

To be fair, this exact quote could have been pulled from 1997-1999 in Tampa Bay.  

You mean to be totally unfair and bring up 17 years ago as if it we're relevant to today? Talk about having an agenda and stretching things beyond the reasonable.

Problem is that Shula's win loss record as an OC is 20-12-1. That is a .625 winning percentage. Much better than the Panther's franchise record. Why is he still here? Just like when he was in Tampa the team was geared to defense and he had little talent to work with. Last year it was Cam and this year it is Benjamin. Seems he is going to have to more with less once again.

Gettleman is the guy who makes the final decision.  The Assistant coaches might have some input, but if you think that anyone other than Gettleman makes the final decision, you haven't been paying attention.  Gettleman felt that Shaq was the BPA, and that is pretty much the end of the discussion.  Had there been a receiver he felt was a better value than Shaq, its likely that receiver would be putting on a Panthers uniform. 

Yes I agree that Gettleman makes the final decision. If I somehow gave the impression that I thought McD strolled into the draft room and said "we're drafting Shaq, final decision bitches!" then allow me to dispel that misconception. I agree with what you are saying.

Problem is that Shula's win loss record as an OC is 20-12-1. That is a .625 winning percentage. Much better than the Panther's franchise record. Why is he still here? Just like when he was in Tampa the team was geared to defense and he had little talent to work with. Last year it was Cam and this year it is Benjamin. Seems he is going to have to more with less once again.

Talent doesn't have anything to do with you calling nothing but up the middle run plays on 2 different drives on the 1 yard line in the divisional home playoff game

Archived