• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shula "discouraged" by lack of points....

Jeremy Igo

I would imagine that the OC and DC are allowed in the room, but aren't major contributors.

Or let's look at it another way. McD tells RR what he wants. What guys he likes ect. I didn't mean for this to turn into the mechanics of draft night. My point is that I think we're more defensive oriented. I think Shula is getting the poo end of the stick.

Unfortunately for Shula this is probably going to be the theme for the year.  He's in charge of the offense so he's going to take the brunt of the blame from fans.  Personally I don't care one way or the other about Shula, I just think it's a cop out to blame him given the "weapons" he has to work with.

It's really not hard to figure out why the offense has problems.  The biggest thing right now are the drops.  As others have mentioned the Ginn drop was big.  That's 7 points off the board right there.  And with our offensive philosophy and personnel points are at a premium anyway.  We don't have a Jerry Rice, T. Owens, or hell even a Don Beebe on the roster.  I like J. Stewart, but he's no Marshawn Lynch, Arian Foster, or Jamaal Charles.  

So in other words, this team is not built around the offense, at least not right now.  It's always been about the defense since Carolina was awarded a franchise.  We've had years where we've had above average offense, but for the most part we've had a middle of the road or back of the pack offense.  Carolina is built on defense first and foremost.  If you haven't wrapped your head around that yet after 20 years I don't know what to tell you except maybe you might want to find a team with a powerhouse offense and follow them. 

Kinda like that team out in Seattle...

How are they doing?

well that was the point of my post earlier ....there isn't one path.  You can win lots of ways. 

But we are taking the defensive oriented path....and not every is a fan of that which is the grip.  

But Seattle did it with not just great defense but a historically great one.  2013 and 2014 back to back is rare feat for a D. 

Unfortunately for Shula this is probably going to be the theme for the year.  He's in charge of the offense so he's going to take the brunt of the blame from fans.  Personally I don't care one way or the other about Shula, I just think it's a cop out to blame him given the "weapons" he has to work with.

In 1996, his Tampa offense finished 30th in scoring out of 30 teams.

1997?  23rd out of 30.

1998? 18th out of 30.

1999? 27th out of 31.

2013? 19th out of 32.

2014? 19th out of 32.

I guess poor ol' Mike has been cursed with never ever ever ever ever having "weapons".

That's Shula politely saying to the WR's, Cam & I gave you chances, do your part & catch the ball. There were less WR plays in the 2nd half for a reason. Not taking sides, just saying.

In the week 1 stats & analysis thread I just posted a log of all the pass attempts by drive in case anyone is interested.  I have done no number crunching or analysis.  For now it's just raw data.  I'll be interested to see what patterns people can find...

You can find the data here.

1997?  23rd out of 30.

1998? 18th out of 30.

1999? 27th out of 31.

2013? 19th out of 32.

2014? 19th out of 32.

I guess poor ol' Mike has been cursed with never ever ever ever ever having "weapons".

Yep...go look at the rosters and then get back to me.

Why don't you go follow Green Bay, I hear they have a pretty good offense.

1997?  23rd out of 30.

1998? 18th out of 30.

1999? 27th out of 31.

2013? 19th out of 32.

2014? 19th out of 32.

I would like to see Shula replaced.

I question whether Rivera would do it.

I would like to see Shula replaced.

I question whether Rivera would do it.

If it comes down to D.G or even higher, then it needs to happen. Shula problem in his career has been redzone, redzone, redzone. Still is. There's no way you can sit there and not know your personnel background. The reason he stayed with Shula was to keep some type of continuity with Cam, but Cam is more experienced now so that's out the window

Well, that's comforting.  I never realized we had one of the cutting edge offensive minds as our OC.

Now if only Cam, Stewie, Thor, and KB would stop being a disappointment to him he'd get the credit he deserves!

No use for hyperbole.  You're putting examples up of more poo rosters.  That's the point.  You like offense, Carolina ain't for you, never has been...so why are a fan?  I've been there since day 1 and we've ALWAYS been more concentrated on the defensive side of the ball.  Don't like it?  Buy the team and put in your offensive superstars (OC included) and watch the fans tear you apart for the poo defense.

The Panthers as I have said before have an offensive coordinator that no one else wants for the same position

nothing will change offemsively until that does

and sadly one day Newton will erupt as Newton has out  grown Shula and Shula is not the OC to challenge OR to hold him accountable, to,push him,  to make him see a different game and Newton needs that

look at the other great QBs look at who they have...now look at who Newton has

when you watch Newton, do you really get the sense that he believes in the plays being called?

Archived