• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shula "discouraged" by lack of points....

Jeremy Igo

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Four-Takeaways-From-Coordinators-Conversation-/d95d792b-9249-4011-a9de-1142a46580f5

To be fair, this exact quote could have been pulled from 1997-1999 in Tampa Bay.  

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/15241/panthers-coordinator-mike-shula-not-worried-about-slow-starts-or-cam-newton

"I'd probably be more worried if we had scored on every drive," Shula said with a laugh as he gave ESPN.com his state-of-the-offense address."

"Let's just not focus on starting fast. Let's focus on it doesn't matter what part of the game it is, if a guy is open let's hit him."

i know its impractical to wholesale revamp this offense right now... but after this season, Shula needs to go. idc how far we go or dont go... #fireShula

FYI, of the WR picked between the Shaq pick and the Funchess pick, this is how they produced this weekend:

- Breshad Perriman - zero, injured (Baltimore lost)

- Phillip Dorsett - 2 catches, 45 yards (Indianapolis lost)

- Devin Smith - zero (Jets won)

- Dorial Green-Beckham - zero (Tennessee won)

And then there's Funch with 1 catch for 9 yards. (Panthers won.)

Wow!  Just look at all those immediate impact players!

to be fair....you are claiming bc of one game they can't be impact players? 

Dorsett looks good.   His issue will be can he get reps with all their talent and packages they can put on a field.  

One of the dudes is hurt.  I mean you could of made this post last year and laughed at Beckham Jr as a non- impact guy

FYI, of the WR picked between the Shaq pick and the Funchess pick, this is how they produced this weekend:

- Breshad Perriman - zero, injured (Baltimore lost)

- Phillip Dorsett - 2 catches, 45 yards (Indianapolis lost)

- Devin Smith - zero (Jets won)

- Dorial Green-Beckham - zero (Tennessee won)

And then there's Funch with 1 catch for 9 yards. (Panthers won.)

Wow!  Just look at all those immediate impact players!

That's a separate argument. I didn't say Shaq was the wrong pick. I didn't say we should have taken a WR. My point is that Shula (my guess) wanted an offensive weapon rather than Shaq. McD wanted Shaq, and he got what he wanted.

they made a trade that was basically equivalent to our move acquiring norwood

Yeah how aggressive.  Trading for a no name is only good if other GMs do it.

You mean the MUCH admired and aggressive Cowboys front office settled for...

Brice Butler?

He of the 30 career receptions, 383 career yards, and 2 career TD receptions?

THAT Brice Butler? The San Diego State LEGEND?

Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn... Gettledouche ought to be embarrassed to be out-worked by the Cowboys front office like that.

:P

to be fair....you are claiming bc of one game they can't be impact players? 

Dorsett looks good.   His issue will be can he get reps with all their talent and packages they can put on a field.  

One of the dudes is hurt.  I mean you could of made this post last year and laughed at Beckham Jr as a non- impact guy

Some or many of those guys I listed may turn out pretty good.  Probably even.

But he's the guy that brought up the draft and Shaq and potential offensive weapons sacrificed.

Guess what?  Shaq might turn out pretty good too.  I remember another LB chosen in the 1st round that met with a pretty large negative reaction in this forum too.  Dudes name is Luke Kuechly.

there isn't one way to build a team or even one right way.  You could of brought in 5 great GMs and they all could of gone in different directions. 

Dave seems very clearly to be a defensive guy.  He walked into an organization that had a future QB entering his 3rd year and the franchise was doing nothing to build around him in regards to looking ahead...what does Dave do? Double down on DTs.  Next year he did use the first on a weapon but at that point we are way behind on building around Cam.   Goes right back to D with a unque LB when we already had the best 4-3 LB corp.

So can people legitimately grip about the O and not doing enough? Sure.   I'm sure other GMs would have done things different.  Doesn't really make it right or wrong.  

Means Dave clearly is a defensive old school dude.  So his priority isn't Cam's offense nor does he think like say the Colts GM in terms of how to win.  Can win both ways

If ony he'd have used other high picks on offensive players, like maybe a second on another receiver or a third on a really good guard.

That's a separate argument. I didn't say Shaq was the wrong pick. I didn't say we should have taken a WR. My point is that Shula (my guess) wanted an offensive weapon rather than Shaq. McD wanted Shaq, and he got what he wanted.

I really doubt that DG listens to either Shula or McD when planning his draft strategy or making his picks.

If ony he'd have used other high picks on offensive players, like maybe a second on another receiver or a third on a really good guard.

that still doesn't change the fact we are being built with a defensive slant...which basically is the issue offensive fans have 

Archived