• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shula "discouraged" by lack of points....

Jeremy Igo

You know Gettleman signed Norwood, right? He may not be your favorite choice, but Proehl obviously likes the kid. Why don't we wait and see how him and Funchess come along before we judge the decision? 

Wait, you didn't know that there were TONS of ultra-talented WRs out on the open market just waiting for us to sign them?  I mean, guys like Nicks and Moore have been having to fight GMs off just to get back in their homes at night and have a little peace and quiet!

Its quite clear that these guys who obviously are just taking their time to choose the right team of the 10 or 20 that are knocking down their door are much, MUCH better than Norwood!

I want to know what Shula is telling RR and Gettlegut about the players he wants for the offense. He can't possibly want what we've got running around out there. I think he just has to go along with whatever scrubs he's handed. I think the focus is on the defense and what McD wants.

Don't agree. We have spent a number of draft picks on offense since Gettleman has been here, probably about the same as on the defense.  We haven't had many big free agent signings on either side of the ball, but we did sign a couple of offensive players this past offseason.   The loss of Benjamin this season definitely set us back, but I don't see any indication that we focus more on defense than on offense.  But our defense was in slightly better position when Gettleman got here.  

Eagles had a drive last night that started on the 5 yard line, had 4 penalties and one drop that would have been for a big gain. They still scored a TD on that drive.

I remember watching that thinking not even in my wildest dreams would a Shula lead offense be able to overcome all that and still score a TD. I know people always want to defend it and say "well yeah if not for that bogus penalty or drop blah blah blah" but it's a problem when a single penalty or drop is a drive killer 90% of the time. Those things happen all the time, good coordinators find a way to overcome them.

Hot damn son, this right here ^^^^^^ for real.

I absolutely agree on the aggression thing and maybe because we don't have KB anymore we didn't do it, but Shula needs to find one on one matchups and air it out. That deep ball has to come out. 2nd and 6 on Jac 36, we up 10-9 out of half-time, they run read-option Cam losses yards. 1 safety deep, toss that fly route to Devin in the endzone

Don't agree. We have spent a number of draft picks on offense since Gettleman has been here, probably about the same as on the defense.  We haven't had many big free agent signings on either side of the ball, but we did sign a couple of offensive players this past offseason.   The loss of Benjamin this season definitely set us back, but I don't see any indication that we focus more on defense than on offense.  But our defense was in slightly better position when Gettleman got here.  

Would you say that Shaq is kind of a luxury pick who doesn't even play unless we face certain formations. Do you think that Shula was begging for a first round offensive weapon rather than Shaq?

We can't really blame DG for not having a vision that his #1 receiver would never play a down this season.  I'm sure if he had known that he might have gone in a different direction but hindsight is 20/20.  Its not like he ignored the position but there are only a handful of teams in the league with enough WR depth to overcome something like that and, unfortunately, we don't appear to be one of them although theres still time for the young guys to step up.

We can't really blame DG for not having a vision that his #1 receiver would never play a down this season.  I'm sure if he had known that he might have gone in a different direction but hindsight is 20/20.  Its not like he ignored the position but there are only a handful of teams in the league with enough WR depth to overcome something like that and, unfortunately, we don't appear to be one of them although theres still time for the young guys to step up.

there isn't one way to build a team or even one right way.  You could of brought in 5 great GMs and they all could of gone in different directions. 

Dave seems very clearly to be a defensive guy.  He walked into an organization that had a future QB entering his 3rd year and the franchise was doing nothing to build around him in regards to looking ahead...what does Dave do? Double down on DTs.  Next year he did use the first on a weapon but at that point we are way behind on building around Cam.   Goes right back to D with a unque LB when we already had the best 4-3 LB corp.

So can people legitimately grip about the O and not doing enough? Sure.   I'm sure other GMs would have done things different.  Doesn't really make it right or wrong.  

Means Dave clearly is a defensive old school dude.  So his priority isn't Cam's offense nor does he think like say the Colts GM in terms of how to win.  Can win both ways

Would you say that Shaq is kind of a luxury pick who doesn't even play unless we face certain formations. Do you think that Shula was begging for a first round offensive weapon rather than Shaq?

FYI, of the WR picked between the Shaq pick and the Funchess pick, this is how they produced this weekend:

- Breshad Perriman - zero, injured (Baltimore lost)

- Phillip Dorsett - 2 catches, 45 yards (Indianapolis lost)

- Devin Smith - zero (Jets won)

- Dorial Green-Beckham - zero (Tennessee won)

And then there's Funch with 1 catch for 9 yards. (Panthers won.)

Wow!  Just look at all those immediate impact players!

I would think most fans can clearly see we're loading up the defense, and the offense is taking a back seat. If you still are in doubt then take this into consideration.

At the start of the preseason everyone acknowledged that if we were to lose KB that our offense would be in bad shape. Fair statement? KB was a star, and when he went down the offense became very limited to the point of being awful. Now think about our defense. We are missing Star, and Luke, and yet the defense is still top notch. The defense is loaded, and the cupboard is bare on offense. When your offense (barring QB), is one injury away from being a mess, then you know the emphasis is on defense, or the entire team is terrible.

Archived