• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shula "discouraged" by lack of points....

Jeremy Igo

Shula's offense can work...if all things go right.  Good running game, no TOs, WRs who can catch a ball, consistent Cam.

Shula's offense...won't win us games though.  The time of possession game is great too, when it works.  But is only propped up when you have a great defense. 

At Jax?  Players didn't execute like they should.  But let's also not pretend he's even an average OC capable of adjustments.

Now this I 100% agree with.  Dez goes down for 4-6 weeks while the other Cowboys' WR look pretty good, and the Cowboys still immediately start bringing in FA WRs to try to help out.  Panthers' lose KB in the preseason, the rest of the WRs look like hot trash, multiple wide open drops in the first game and we do... nothing.

I don't think modeling your front office moves off of Jerry Jones is a such a good idea. I'll stick with DG, thanks.

I'm not pleased with Shula either. Not so much because of the Jags game because I thought that was on the players. I don't think he called a bad game. They had plenty of great opportunities to score TDs and they screwed it up. That's not Shula's fault. I hate Shula because of his bloopers from past seasons. He will flat out make horrible calls at critical times. We have not really seen that yet this regular season, but trust me those calls are coming. He does it every season, and I doubt that is going to end this season. But week 1 was not too shabby. Better offensive players and the Jags would have been completely blown out.

I want to know what Shula is telling RR and Gettlegut about the players he wants for the offense. He can't possibly want what we've got running around out there. I think he just has to go along with whatever scrubs he's handed. I think the focus is on the defense and what McD wants.

I can't put a ton of blame on Shula for the lack of points.  We had one TD taken off the board by a ridiculous penalty and Ginn dropped another wide open TD.  Add on those 14 points and that makes 27.  Add on the late blocked FG and there's 30.  That's not even counting the missed 53 yarder, because hey, missed 53 yarders are gonna happen.

We really took the air out of the ball in the 4th quarter with that clock eating late drive and that was the right call at that point in the game IMO.

Can't believe I just defended Mike Shula.  Barf.

Do other teams that score around 24 (or more) points almost every game get bad calls?  Have bad plays?  Drop passes?  Fumble?

Yes?

Then why can't Shula's offense?  Why, for Shula to do that, is the need for ZERO MISTAKES OR BAD CALLS baked into the cake?

Eagles had a drive last night that started on the 5 yard line, had 4 penalties and one drop that would have been for a big gain. They still scored a TD on that drive.

I remember watching that thinking not even in my wildest dreams would a Shula lead offense be able to overcome all that and still score a TD. I know people always want to defend it and say "well yeah if not for that bogus penalty or drop blah blah blah" but it's a problem when a single penalty or drop is a drive killer 90% of the time. Those things happen all the time, good coordinators find a way to overcome them.

Holy hell thank you thank you thank you... I was beginning to think I was tilting at windmills alone.

Archived