• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shula "discouraged" by lack of points....

Jeremy Igo

its frustrating to hear all these reports about the Cowboys aggressively looking for receiver help when even without Dez they probably still have a better receiving corps than us. And Dez will actually be back this year unlike KB. Before anyone blames the cap can you explain what hurts in giving a veteran a 1 year deal? 

You build through the draft so the answer will be on the roster! Duh, haven't you heard by now. :::sarcasm:::: 

Shula's offense and his gameplans leave about zero room for player error.

A competent coordinator would be able to overcome a couple of instances of lack of execution.

Hell, Chip Kelly did it on just about every drive in the Eagles second half last night.

Until the Panthers find a competent offensive coordinator, one or two player mess-ups will cost us games.

We did get into JAX territory on 7 out of 10 (70%) of our "real" drives (not counting the 2 kneel downs at the end of the 1st half and end of the game, when we got the ball with 14 & 6 seconds, respectively, and didn't run plays.)

We had 5 scoring opportunities within the JAX 40:

1.  A 14 play 55 yard drive. (Scored the FG after Olsen's TD was nullified)

2.  Set up by a long T. Ginn return getting us to the JAX 36  (Missed FG)

3.  The 12 play 66 yard Touchdown drive

4.  The 4th Q 15 play 64 yard drive that ate up 8 minutes off the clock and resulted in a FG

5.  TD's Interception on the JAX20 which resulted in the blocked FG.

So, I'll leave the play calling critique up to others.  I'm quite sure there are real issues with that.  But we DID clearly have 5 scoring opportunities.  1 due to ST, 3 due to good offensive drives, 1 due to defense INT.

We got 13 points on these 5 opportunities.  Could have  easily been 20 - 24 or more if a few more things had gone right.  For game 1 of the season when we're still working out the bugs, especially given our injuries, I'll take it.  Sure it was against the Jags.  That was nice fortune for us.  We needed a bit of a break having lost Kelvin and with Star out, and a few of our other starters (CJ, Kalil...) not having played much in the preseason.

But yeah, Shula is going to face a BIG challenge in redesigning our offense around KB's absence and the lack of his explosive big red zone threat.  How is he going to help Greg get open, what will we do if he's not?  How do we get enough deep threat to give the running game some space.

One nice thing is that the one TD drive for the offense involved a lot of short passes to a bunch of different players (including RBs & FB).  None of them was to Olsen.  We can score even if he's double teamed.  We just proved it.

Here's the anatomy of that drive again:

• Start on CAR34 after a failed JAX FG attempt
  • 1) Cam run for 4 to CAR38
  • 2) Incomplete pass, penalty on JAX, 1st down. to CAR 43
  • 3) 17 yard pass to Ginn.  1st down.  JAX 40. 
  • 4) Incomplete deep pass to Cotch.
  • 5) Stewart Run for 7 yards.  JAX 33.
  • 6) 3rd & 3: 4 yard pass to Stewart.  1st down.  JAX 29.
  • 7) 5 yard pass to Fozzy.  JAX 24.
  • 8) 6 yard pass to Philly Brown.  JAX 18.  First Down.
  • 9) Fozzy run.  No Gain.  Still JAX 18.
  • 10) 6 yard pass to Tolbert.  JAX 12.
  • 11) 3rd & 4: Cam run for 3 yards.  4th & 1 at JAX 9.
  • 12) 4th & 1: Cam up the middle for 2 yards.  1st down.  JAX 7
  • 13) 7 yard pass to Cotch.  TOUCHDOWN!

6 different "receivers" / catch & runs.  A few CLUTCH runs from Stew & Cam.  Only 1 pass > 10 yards.  We got it done....

its frustrating to hear all these reports about the Cowboys aggressively looking for receiver help when even without Dez they probably still have a better receiving corps than us. And Dez will actually be back this year unlike KB. Before anyone blames the cap can you explain what hurts in giving a veteran a 1 year deal? 

Now this I 100% agree with.  Dez goes down for 4-6 weeks while the other Cowboys' WR look pretty good, and the Cowboys still immediately start bringing in FA WRs to try to help out.  Panthers' lose KB in the preseason, the rest of the WRs look like hot trash, multiple wide open drops in the first game and we do... nothing.

Now this I 100% agree with.  Dez goes down for 4-6 weeks while the other Cowboys' WR look pretty good, and the Cowboys still immediately start bringing in FA WRs to try to help out.  Panthers' lose KB in the preseason, the rest of the WRs look like hot trash, multiple wide open drops in the first game and we do... nothing.

While I won't go into that...that isn't on Shula.

Gettlemagic?

You know Gettleman signed Norwood, right? He may not be your favorite choice, but Proehl obviously likes the kid. Why don't we wait and see how him and Funchess come along before we judge the decision? 

Archived