• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interception Video

Jeremy Igo

Remember the days when every game was an automatic L if he threw an interception? Thank the Lord that's not the case anymore.

You know, in the last 4 seasons, if we threw a pick, that's exactly what came out of my mouth almost involuntary.  When that pick happened yesterday, that thought didn't even cross my mind.  I guess that's just a product of seeing Cam mature over the years, and me knowing he can lead the team no matter the circumstances.

Cam definitely needs to work on his small movements within the pocket for sure. He doesn't do much of it, relying on his strength if someone gets a hand on him. Needs to break that habit. 

He's got a lot of habits he needs to break.  I don't see it happening though.  Especially when it involves his feet in the pocket.  

Yea, he even said it.  His throw was affected by him getting hit.  It's that simple.  Not a matter of "he shouldn't have made the throw", he was already making the throw when he got hit.  Stuff happens.  If he didn't get hit, it's entirely likely the pass would have gone over the defenders and Funchess would have had a shot at it (whether or not he woulda caught it is a different story).  Not the best play by Cam, especially if Greg was open in the middle like someone said, but not exactly an egregious error either.

Newton's throws tend to follow a fairly low arc, something that's true of a lot of high velocity throwers.

He needs more 'lift' and 'drop' in his passes but his current mechanics don't really lend to that.

Your statement was true a couple years ago.  Now, when he needs to, he puts plenty of "lift" and "drop" on his passes.  There were a few shining examples in the preseason.  When he doesn't need to drop it in, he throws the bullets.

Your statement was true a couple years ago.  Now, when he needs to, he puts plenty of "lift" and "drop" on his passes.  There were a few shining examples in the preseason.  When he doesn't need to drop it in, he throws the bullets.

I'm not seeing it with any consistency.

Newton is always gonna be closer to Brett Favre than Tom Brady. I'm comfortable with that, but not everyone is.

One pick in an otherwise pretty darn good game from him. It's fun to analyze a play but I don't buy into the "he needs to ___" that inevitably comes in these threads. There's not a notable QB in NFL history who never threw a pick. There's not really anything to learn from the play, things happen and always will.

First off, he didn't trust his eyes. I think Cam does that a lot. He's usually right the first time, most of his INTs are when he pumps, holds the ball, then decides to go ahead and make the throw.  Now, this time he did pump and hold the ball, but he might have had a throwing window on this one. His ball placement and trajectory was off (he needed less on the ball and more angle).

I grabbed two screens from the Vine that was posted and put them together (not scientific, but stay with me). Over the last few years, we've seen that intermediate sideline throw from Cam. Where he chucks it out there where either his guy or the ball boy catches it.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.2ebc120601db1e2d96a

Poor execution of the throw, but in my opinion, what he saw (the second time) was right, but you can't make that throw unless it's the first time you see it.

One pick in an otherwise pretty darn good game from him. It's fun to analyze a play but I don't buy into the "he needs to ___" that inevitably comes in these threads. There's not a notable QB in NFL history who never threw a pick. There's not really anything to learn from the play, things happen and always will.

Every quarterback I've watched over the past 40 years has had flaws.

Granted, some more than others.

Cam definitely needs to work on his small movements within the pocket for sure. He doesn't do much of it, relying on his strength if someone gets a hand on him. Needs to break that habit. 

Indeed, he rarely steps up in the pocket and could become an even more dangerous player if he navigated the pocket...there were several nice pockets to step up into yesterday.

If Cam has a fatal flaw it's his inability to move in the pocket and when he stops moving his feet and becomes a statue..  That was just a produce of not trusting his read and not climbing the pocket to buy more time.  It also looked like he could have at worst taken off and gotten a smooth 5 yards running.. Overall he played a pretty great game yesterday and put the team on his back on that last drive.

Archived