• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Win over Jags Week 1: Statistics & Analysis

KB_fan

I won't be able to provide a lot of statistics and analysis today or this week.  I've got a heavy work schedule that will keep me offline for most of the week.

I will try to review the gamebook data and update my week by week tracking spreadsheet in Excel and post that tonight or tomorrow.   In the meantime, Bill Voth has got an excellent entry at BBR.

Stats and Superlatives: Panthers Vs. Jaguars, Week 1:  http://blackandbluereview.com/panthers-jaguars-week-1-stats-and-superlatives/

These stats from his article jumped out at me:

• Had an 18:30-11:30 time of possession advantage in second half.
  • Held the Jaguars to one third-down conversion in the second half. Jacksonville converted just 3 of its 12 third downs for the game while Carolina went 8-for-17.
  • Shut out the Jaguars in the second half, limiting them to just 75 yards.
  • Have allowed a total of 48 points in the fourth quarter over their last 11 regular-season games.
  • Gave up 96 rushing yards. They’ve held opponents to under 100 yards on the ground in seven of their last eight regular-season games.
  • Are 15-1-1 when scoring at least 20 points since 2013.

If anyone comes across other good stats or analysis, please post links or excerpts here.  Thanks.

Black & Blue Review @BlackBlueReview 7h7 hours ago

Finally digging into today’s stats. Cam Newton’s 71.3 passer rating was his worst in a #Panthers win since he had a 60.6 at MIA on 11/24/13.

Wild to remember Josh Norman played just 10 snaps in Week 1 last year, all on special teams. A year later …..

Wouldn't have seen this one coming in: Greg Olsen's 11 receiving yds were his fewest since had no receptions in the final 2 games of 2011.

The stats on the game we saw yesterday have to be forgettable.  We were very fortunate to play against the Jags.  Not many teams around the league would have let us escape with a win.  Maybe the Browns or 49ers, but not many more.

The game plan was flawed and our execution was flawed.  Poor coaching and poor execution usually have you discussing the previous days loss.  Again, we were lucky

The stats on the game we saw yesterday have to be forgettable.  We were very fortunate to play against the Jags.  Not many teams around the league would have let us escape with a win.  Maybe the Browns or 49ers, but not many more.

The game plan was flawed and our execution was flawed.  Poor coaching and poor execution usually have you discussing the previous days loss.  Again, we were lucky

One thing I will give props to was the second half adjustments that were made, something you don't see often enough. It was a game of two halves for us, and the second half was far better. Execution was bad throughout the team. Run defense needs to be sured up and the receivers need to step up as well. It was ugly, but it was a win. 

I've got a few minutes to post a few more interesting statistics I've seen posted on Twitter.  More stats, thoughts and comments from me later today, I hope...:

Joe Person tweeted some Players' Stats via PFF

Joe Person @josephperson 2h2 hours ago

Interesting stuff from @PFF on #Panthers win:

• Mike Remmers highest-graded offensive player. Allowed 1 pressure in 71 snaps.
  • Oher had lowest grade on offense--2 sacks allowed and 2 pressures.
  • Addison 4 pressures (2 sacks, 2 hurries). Ealy no pressures, per @PFF.
  • Defensive snap counts: 17 for OLB Shaq Thompson. 3 for S Tre Boston, per @PFF.

And Jonathan Jones was tweeting out some stuff on Players' Snap Counts:

Jonathan Jones @jjones9 1h1 hour ago

• Devin Funchess played 26 of the 71 snaps. He had two targets. One catch for 9 yards and a drop.
  • Jonathan Stewart got 50 snaps. That's wayyyy more than they wanted to get him. Rivera, after the game, thought he only got 35-40
  • Shaq Thompson played just 17 snaps (25% of the defensive plays). Coulda been more if JAX didn't pass late but Bene was in early and often
  • RDE Kony Ealy played 41/67 snaps but didn't get a single pressure, per PFF

Here's Bill Voth's Snap Count Analysis:

http://blackandbluereview.com/panthers-jaguars-week-1-snap-counts/

Go to the link to see all the details on snap counts per player.  But here are his notes:

Offense:

NOTES

“He’s gonna be sore and we’re gonna have to pamper him a little bit, but knowing Ryan, he’ll dog it out and be ready to go,” coach Ron Rivera joked afterward.

• Brown played 11 snaps more than any other wideout, finishing with two receptions for 13 yards on three targets.
  • 50 snaps is more than the Panthers would like for Stewart, who had 18 carries.

Rivera: “Ideally I’d love to see him get 15, but I know he was in there for about 40 plays, 35 plays and that might be a lot.” Stewart’s playing time affected Artis-Payne, who saw just four snaps and no carries in his debut.

DEFENSE:

NOTES

• Kuechly’s 32 snaps were his fewest since his fourth game of his rookie season. Before he left Sunday’s game with a concussion, he had played 93% of his potential snaps since coming to Carolina in 2012. That includes 130 missed snaps during the first four games of his career when he was WLB. He missed just 63 his next 44 games at MLB.
  • Coleman’s 67 plays were his most since he was a starter with the Eagles in 2012.
  • Norman missed one defensive snap a year after playing none in the season opener at Tampa Bay.
  • Boston saw just one series in place of Harper.
  • Instead of using Thompson in a sub package, the Panthers went with Benwikere most of the day. Thompson had just 17 defensive snaps and didn’t finish with a stat in his debut.
  • Love started for Star Lotulelei, but Edwards played more than any DT.

Wow, looking at those snap counts for our Defense.

Our "old guys" rock and are so tough.  They hung in there and played a huge percentage of the game.  Here are the guys who played the most snaps on Defense.  Amazing what they did in the 2nd half.  Sometimes you need your veterans.  On a day when Luke went out in the 1st half, it was good to have guys who are battle tested and know how to fight through such challenges. 

Of course HUGE props to AJ Klein too for how he stepped up.   It was nice to see Bene making a lot of good plays yesterday, along with Norman.  So glad they get a chance to work with and learn from Tillman.  Gonna make them better.

DEF Snaps / %     ST Snaps / %

Kurt ColemanFS     67  100%       4 15%
Thomas DavisLB     67  100%       3 12%
Josh NormanCB     66   99%       8  31%
Roman HarperS     63   94%       3  12%
Charles TillmanCB     54   81%       6   23%
Bené BenwikereCB     52   78%     10   38%
Charles JohnsonDE     52   78%  
Dwan EdwardsDT     43   64%       9   35%

Black & Blue Review @BlackBlueReview 9h9 hours ago

Rough start for draft picks:

Ouch.

In his press conference today Ron explained why Shaq got few snaps.  It was based on what Jacksonville was showing them, playing a lot of Nickel, which made them want to play Bene instead.  He said to expect that Shaq's plays will continue to be situational, based on what the opposing offense is doing.

Archived