• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

$20 mill in cap space next year AFTER Cam/Luke signed.

PanthersUnited

Yep, I agree. Just saying it's not likely to exceed $15m. Also, I see the Harper and J-Stew cuts as pretty much set for next year given it opens up nearly $10m in cap room between the two. I do agree all the cap space will likely be set aside to address internal guys such as Norman, Short, Star, and Kelvin. We'll also probably do a short-term extension with CJ next season (something in the range of 3 years/$45m should get it done) to help bring reduce his cap number further for next season (currently at $15m, but maybe we free up another $5-7m by lowering that number through an extension).

Either way, our cap sheet should be pretty clean after this season. As long as Getts makes smart moves, we're set up well for the foreseeable future.

I highly doubt J-Stew gets cut. 

So take the first round talent that gets signed to automatic four year deals with a fifth year option. Then take the later round picks that I think only get three or four year deals. So Gettleman, in his infinite, prudent, fiscally responsible wisdom, knows that even when we get some cap relief, our home grown talent and their second contracts are always lurking just around the corner. 

Thtat sounds fugging awesome but we just didn't do that with Luke.

Extended him after 3 years.

I doubt we ever even do that. As has been stated, we will continue to build through the draft and sign low price guys to fill holes. All of our real money will be for players who play well already on the team.

People will continually mutter and complain about Free Agents and DG will continually ignore them and implement his plan. It becomes even harder to win that 2nd and 3rd Superb Owl without room to resign your core players.

I sort of agree and yet I don't at the same time. Imagine had we had the money to sign a guy like Jennings, Crabtree or Torry Smith, we wouldn't even be talking about our WR situation right now.

Look at the Seahawks and Patriots, Patriots signed Revis last season and won the SB, it doesn't get anymore "big time free agent" than that, also look at the Seahawks making the trade for Graham. 

Yes, you build through the draft, but when you are as close to the promised land like we are, then you spend money on one really good FA to get you over the hump

There is a difference between building through FA and adding that one piece to get you over the hump. You can still build through the draft and go out and sign that one good player in FA

The extension won't change much about Luke's cap number next year. If memory serves he's due a fully-guaranteed $11M, the extension doesn't change that. 

There will, however, be a slight increase in cap hit via the signing bonus, which will be amortized over 5 years. Say he gets a $20M bonus at signing, well then that's $4M added to his 2016 hit for a total of $15M.

The extension won't change much about Luke's cap number next year. If memory serves he's due a fully-guaranteed $11M, the extension doesn't change that. 

There will, however, be a slight increase in cap hit via the signing bonus, which will be amortized over 5 years. Say he gets a $20M bonus at signing, well then that's $4M added to his 2016 hit for a total of $15M.

Deal voids 5th year option, extension is for 5 years and runs through 20-21 season.

To add on about the cap number, 28ish before cuts  if cap is 150, but cap is expected to be closer to 160. I'm thinking probably 156-158 based on projections.

Deal voids 5th year option, extension is for 5 years and runs through 20-21 season.

To add on about the cap number, 28ish before cuts  if cap is 150, but cap is expected to be closer to 160. I'm thinking probably 156-158 based on projections.

I haven't seen that reported, have to wait for the official numbers then. 

I haven't seen that reported, have to wait for the official numbers then. 

Simply based on math it is either voided or included in the new deal. We know for sure because of Panthers.com article that he's playing this season under original rookie deal. So a 5 year deal that runs through 20-21 season would have to start next season no matter what.

If it was included and not voided, that means Luke's new deal is really only a 4 year extension, since it's directly mentioned as a 5 year extension we can then determine that the rookie option was in fact voided by the new deal. 

Simply based on math it is either voided or included in the new deal. We know for sure because of Panthers.com article that he's playing this season under original rookie deal. So a 5 year deal that runs through 20-21 season would have to start next season no matter what.

If it was included and not voided, that means Luke's new deal is really only a 4 year extension, since it's directly mentioned as a 5 year extension we can then determine that the rookie option was in fact voided by the new deal. 

Not saying that isn't the case, but I'm not sure that we can assume that either. It's definitely a a 5-year extension, but in your scenarios you are omitting the possibility that Luke's new 5 years don't start until AFTER 2016. His option was already exercised in April, so it makes sense just to add on from there. 

The Panthers.com article agrees:

"Luke Kuechly has signed a five-year contract extension with the Panthers through the 2021 seasonIn April, the Panthers exercised the fifth-year option in Kuechly's rookie contract that now extends through 2016."

Voth: 

"Kuechly was already owed $11 million in 2016, so he’s due an average of $12.16 million per season through 2021."

Reed:

"The humble 24-year-old Kuechly signed a five-year, $62 million contract extension that will keep (sic) with the Panthers through 2021."

And ESPN:

"Luke Kuechly has signed a five-year contract extension with the Carolina Panthers through the 2021 season."

You get the point...in order for the contract to extend THROUGH the 2021 season it would have to be laid out as so:

2015: Last year of rookie deal

2016: Rookie option

2017: Year 1

2018: Year 2

2019: Year 3

2020: Year 4

2021: Year 5

I sort of agree and yet I don't at the same time. Imagine had we had the money to sign a guy like Jennings, Crabtree or Torry Smith, we wouldn't even be talking about our WR situation right now.

Look at the Seahawks and Patriots, Patriots signed Revis last season and won the SB, it doesn't get anymore "big time free agent" than that, also look at the Seahawks making the trade for Graham. 

Yes, you build through the draft, but when you are as close to the promised land like we are, then you spend money on one really good FA to get you over the hump

There is a difference between building through FA and adding that one piece to get you over the hump. You can still build through the draft and go out and sign that one good player in FA

I think your Seahawks example could be a good one. But the problem is they went to two Superb Owls without doing what you said (signing big FAs or trade). This is the year that will determine the success of that model. Personally I don't think it will work but we shall see.

As for the Patriots, I can't really figure them out. They draft pretty poorly, constantly changing their roster, bring in big names (Moss, Revis a few times, etc) and generally have a relatively low level of talent on the field ( minus Brady and Gronk of course) and yet...despite all of that...continue to win at the highest levels consistently.

Either their coaches and Tom Terrific are really that good or they are cheating somehow. I wouldn't accuse success automatically of cheating normally as that feeds the "jealous " narrative of Pats fans...but...where there's smoke there's fire I'm guessing. Their organizational plan doesn't seem repeatable.

Draft poorly, bring in a big name temporarily here and there for a year or two, have an overall low level of talent (flip side is ALWAYS find diamonds in the rough who don't do much other places-although same could be said about DG) and yet...constantly win 10 games and have multiple SB success? Seems unsustainable without duplicity of some kind.

i don't know. Maybe I'm just a hater.

I think your Seahawks example could be a good one. But the problem is they went to two Superb Owls without doing what you said (signing big FAs or trade). This is the year that will determine the success of that model. Personally I don't think it will work but we shall see.

As for the Patriots, I can't really figure them out. They draft pretty poorly, constantly changing their roster, bring in big names (Moss, Revis a few times, etc) and generally have a relatively low level of talent on the field ( minus Brady and Gronk of course) and yet...despite all of that...continue to win at the highest levels consistently.

Either their coaches and Tom Terrific are really that good or they are cheating somehow. I wouldn't accuse success automatically of cheating normally as that feeds the "jealous " narrative of Pats fans...but...where there's smoke there's fire I'm guessing. Their organizational plan doesn't seem repeatable.

Draft poorly, bring in a big name temporarily here and there for a year or two, have an overall low level of talent (flip side is ALWAYS find diamonds in the rough who don't do much other places-although same could be said about DG) and yet...constantly win 10 games and have multiple SB success? Seems unsustainable without duplicity of some kind.

i don't know. Maybe I'm just a hater.

They have one of the best coaches and QB's this game has ever seen.  I have never in my life seen a coach that can scheme as well as BB does, no matter the opponent, he can figure out their weaknesses and exploit them.

Need to be a power running game...easy.  Need to run a traditional Coryell style attack, going downfield....check.  Need to run a 2 TE set either because you only have the personnel to do so, or because the opponent can't defend it....no problem.

Not only that, but that cat will change the entire gameplan at the half if he needs to.  The Pats are a marvel, and I hate them.

They have one of the best coaches and QB's this game has ever seen.  I have never in my life seen a coach that can scheme as well as BB does, no matter the opponent, he can figure out their weaknesses and exploit them.

Need to be a power running game...easy.  Need to run a traditional Coryell style attack, going downfield....check.  Need to run a 2 TE set either because you only have the personnel to do so, or because the opponent can't defend it....no problem.

Not only that, but that cat will change the entire gameplan at the half if he needs to.  The Pats are a marvel, and I hate them.

While I don't disagree necessarily, the mantra that BB is a coaching God has to be tempered with the whole cheating thing. Is he always one step ahead because he's awesome or because he's awesome at cheating? I don't know. I think in reality it's a combination of the two. Which kind of changes the narrative of he's awesome and that's why they win...end of story.

Tom Terrific is awesome but how much better is he when he benefits from the cheating? I don't know in the end. I think BB is great. I think Tom is great. I don't know if they're All World because of the cheating.

While I don't disagree necessarily, the mantra that BB is a coaching God has to be tempered with the whole cheating thing. Is he always one step ahead because he's awesome or because he's awesome at cheating? I don't know. I think in reality it's a combination of the two. Which kind of changes the narrative of he's awesome and that's why they win...end of story.

Tom Terrific is awesome but how much better is he when he benefits from the cheating? I don't know in the end. I think BB is great. I think Tom is great. I don't know if they're All World because of the cheating.

They are cheaters, that can't be defended, but I don't think that you can cheat enough, to be as great as they are, for as long as they have been....just my opinion.

You are looking at one of the best, if not the best 15 year run of any team/franchise in NFL history.  What makes it so ridiculous, is it's being done in the salary cap era.

They are lowlifes, I don't like Brady or BB at all, but I have to respect what they have been able to do.

Archived