• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

$20 mill in cap space next year AFTER Cam/Luke signed.

PanthersUnited

We'll never be players in FA under Gettleman. Which is a good thing. We'll continue to draft well and lock up our own players. $20M in space next year really isn't a lot at all. Norman could easily take half that away, plus we have Star and KK. 

Luke's new deal hasn't been put up on OverTheCap yet since the structure hasn't been released so we don't actually know what the cap space for next year will be.

http://overthecap.com/player/luke-kuechly/1184/

While this is true, it already assigns an $11m cap figure to Luke for the 2016 cap. That figure isn't likely to go up by too much. At most, it would be $15m (I arrive at this figure by assuming a $15m signing bonus prorated over 5 years ($3m) and a $12m avg salary).

Note that we are likely to have over $25m in cap space given that cutting Harper frees up $3.76m and designating J-Stew a post-June 1 cut frees up $5.75m. There's a good chance we have ~$26-$27m in cap space with the only real notable free agent to re-sign being Josh Norman.

Even if we had 20 million for next year, by the time we sign our draft picks and resign our own guys we will have little left over.  I could see DG taking the plunge on one mid level type guy we haven't been able to afford the last few years but I would be shocked if he gave up a chance to resign a half dozen guys who have done well for us just to chase a big name thats going to demand a nine figure deal.  It just isn't in his blood to do something like that and thats OK with me.

I don't think Gettleman would. The draft well and pay for performance strategy got us in this nice financial position in the first place so why mess with that? Not going to sign a WR with KB coming back next year and if Oher fails we'll have a decent pick and will be aiming at an LT again.

While this is true, it already assigns an $11m cap figure to Luke for the 2016 cap. That figure isn't likely to go up by too much. At most, it would be $15m (I arrive at this figure by assuming a $15m signing bonus prorated over 5 years ($3m) and a $12m avg salary).

Note that we are likely to have over $25m in cap space given that cutting Harper frees up $3.76m and designating J-Stew a post-June 1 cut frees up $5.75m. There's a good chance we have ~$26-$27m in cap space with the only real notable free agent to re-sign being Josh Norman.

I imagine his cap figure would actually go down by a few million. Still waiting to see the structure, but I think it will go up a bit this year, down a bit next then steadily rise from there. It's an extension but no doubt they altered the structure of his remaining two year to make it cleaner. Medium signing bonus this year then a sizable roster bonus that gets converted to a signing bonus next year.

This money will go into the cupboard for extending Norman, Lotulelei, and Short and potentially a more responsible deal for Johnson as we are the final year or two of his deal. 

I don't see us ever signing a high profile free agent, instead we'll continue to add better quality vets in free agency, continue to draft well over all and develop players to stay out of cap issues. But also maintain the cap needed to extend expired rookie deals for core players. 

This money will go into the cupboard for extending Norman, Lotulelei, and Short and potentially a more responsible deal for Johnson as we are the final year or two of his deal. 

I don't see us ever signing a high profile free agent, instead we'll continue to add better quality vets in free agency, continue to draft well over all and develop players to stay out of cap issues. But also maintain the cap needed to extend expired rookie deals for core players. 

I don't think resigning Star is a guarantee, especially if this dude can't stay healthy.  I would hate to see Kris Jenkins 2.0.  

I imagine his cap figure would actually go down by a few million. Still waiting to see the structure, but I think it will go up a bit this year, down a bit next then steadily rise from there. It's an extension but no doubt they altered the structure of his remaining two year to make it cleaner. Medium signing bonus this year then a sizable roster bonus that gets converted to a signing bonus next year.

Yep, I agree. Just saying it's not likely to exceed $15m. Also, I see the Harper and J-Stew cuts as pretty much set for next year given it opens up nearly $10m in cap room between the two. I do agree all the cap space will likely be set aside to address internal guys such as Norman, Short, Star, and Kelvin. We'll also probably do a short-term extension with CJ next season (something in the range of 3 years/$45m should get it done) to help bring reduce his cap number further for next season (currently at $15m, but maybe we free up another $5-7m by lowering that number through an extension).

Either way, our cap sheet should be pretty clean after this season. As long as Getts makes smart moves, we're set up well for the foreseeable future.

Archived