• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman "Best secondary we have had since I have been here"

Jeremy Igo

Let's not forget Rivera and Gettleman almost cut Josh Norman following the 2014 preseason. They kept deactivating him and had Antoine Cason, Melvin White, Charles Godfrey and Bene Benwikere ahead of him to start the season. Then they wanted DeCoud to be a rock in the secondary. Thankfully Rivera and Gettleman's plan blew up in their face (just like the OL garbage project) and Norman was there to rescue them with the rookies (who should have been starting at the beginning of the season). No one can argue the Panthers could have gone at least 3-8-1 to start the season with Norman, Benwikere, a recently recovered Boston, and anyone but Harper. They could have learned on the job, done better than what Rivera fielded, and been that much better come the time for the playoffs (where they had to learn their tough lessons since they were held back till the end of the season).

Also, Harper is still awful and a huge liability.

Best since 2012? Sure. That is not saying much. Especially with the crap Rivera and Gettleman put on the field to start last season.

Gettleman may as well say, "Look what I fell into! Don't pay any attention to what my actual plan was for the 2014 season."

You're gonna be a very sad little man if we have a winning season.

I think we were objectively worse at WR going into last year, even though we're still pretty bad. 

1st round graded WR: We were spoiled by Kelvin's rookie year, but no one really saw it coming. Instead we were looking at Jerricho Cotchery as our number 1 guy. Still, give 2014 the edge due to Kelvin actually being a first rounder. 

Cotchery is a wash. Could say he's another year older and all but he's arguably looked better this preseason than most of last year. 

But the rest...

Year 2 of Philly. Yeah he's struggled, but the coaches are obviously seeing something in order to name him a starter. Won't be hard to top his 2014 numbers either. 

Ginn over Avant is a definite upgrade, with the added bonus of Ginn not being the same type of player as 3 of our 4 other receivers. 

Norwood vs. Bersin: I like Bersin, but there's a reason he lost his spot to a guy with only two catches as a Panther. He kinda is what he is, but Norwood has a lot of promise. 

So going into the year we're in better shape at 3 of 5 receiver positions at worst.

Add to this^^^ our starting QB is healthier/more experienced, the O-line is deeper/more dependable and our stable of rbs has been upgraded too.  Considering all these improvements, opposing defenses will have a lot more to be concerned about when game planning the Panthers offense than they have in the recent past.

he didn't say this is the best secondary, he said it's the best secondary we've had since he's been here.

It's really the same thing, he can't say that until the games are played. What's he basing that off of? Practice? His own ego? I'm not even saying I disagree, just using the same logic others have with the WRs.

We need the defense to score points. I love the addition of Charles Tillman, who "if" he can stay healthy and play at a high level, gives the Panthers a turnover MACHINE on the defense. Giving the Panthers weak passing offense short fields will go a looooooong way to winning games, against any competition.  

did you find him streaky last year?

yes, his mental game.  Which is what makes him streaky.  Which is what made him spend the overwhelming majority of his career in a doghouse.

For example, on a huge stop on say 3rd and 4 late in a game.....and Norman immediately does something stupid risking a penalty that would give the opponent the ball back and first down but is SAVED by Thomas Davis and the ref opts to let it slide.  That still counts in terms of Norman not being a mentally smart player even though he got saved.  He either doesn't care or is unaware of situations....junk like that was displayed during his 7 game stretch of his career where people have now declared him elite. 

All those bonehead moments where he got lucky last year since it didn't hurt us were commented on last year too.  People overlook them b/c they didn't cost us.  They were often at the worst times you could even think to test your luck. 

and yeah, Cam chased down Luke last year in camp after a pick.  Luke Kuechly didn't stiff arm the franchise QB in red b/c of it.  Big deal?  Nah.  Lots of little ones that still raise some questions IMO.

yes, his mental game.  Which is what makes him streaky.  Which is what made him spend the overwhelming majority of his career in a doghouse.

For example, on a huge stop on say 3rd and 4 late in a game.....and Norman immediately does something stupid risking a penalty that would give the opponent the ball back and first down but is SAVED by Thomas Davis and the ref opts to let it slide.  That still counts in terms of Norman not being a mentally smart player even though he got saved.  He either doesn't care or is unaware of situations....junk like that was displayed during his 7 game stretch of his career where people have now declared him elite. 

All those bonehead moments where he got lucky last year since it didn't hurt us were commented on last year too.  People overlook them b/c they didn't cost us.  They were often at the worst times you could even think to test your luck. 

that's fair. I thought you were talking about strictly his game play. I don't think he is streaky in that regard based in last year.

With some of these new rule changes he better not press his luck anymore.

that's fair. I thought you were talking about strictly his game play. I don't think he is streaky in that regard based in last year.

With some of these new rule changes he better not press his luck anymore.

yeah, I don't question his talent/ability.  I question his ability to be focused in the heat of moment.....and his teammates to often last year bailed him out pulling him away.  Biggest issue for me was when he opted to do it.  

I mean if you give up a penalty on 3rd and whatever being dumb.....it ain't much different than just getting your ankle broke and beat.  You still giving up the play.  Elite CBs don't give up free stuff.  

I think if you are an opponent.....Norman is on the list of players to target.  Maybe not come out and try to throw on him but try to get in his head and make him a liability/bomb to himself. 

so all that said, maybe immature is better.  I think he is still an immature player which can impact his ability to do his job to the best of his ability.

Archived