• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman "Best secondary we have had since I have been here"

Jeremy Igo

norman was never in any danger of being cut from the team.

I think he was lucky they allowed him to come back on that flight from Buffalo...I'm sure what sits on his shoulders has had his job debated before.

I don't think his preseason performances like mentioned had anything to do with it.  Always looked good then...big moments is when the boneheaded guy would appear.

Let's not forget Rivera and Gettleman almost cut Josh Norman following the 2014 preseason. They kept deactivating him and had Antoine Cason, Melvin White, Charles Godfrey and Bene Benwikere ahead of him to start the season. Then they wanted DeCoud to be a rock in the secondary. Thankfully Rivera and Gettleman's plan blew up in their face (just like the OL garbage project) and Norman was there to rescue them with the rookies (who should have been starting at the beginning of the season). No one can argue the Panthers could have gone at least 3-8-1 to start the season with Norman, Benwikere, a recently recovered Boston, and anyone but Harper. They could have learned on the job, done better than what Rivera fielded, and been that much better come the time for the playoffs (where they had to learn their tough lessons since they were held back till the end of the season).

Also, Harper is still awful and a huge liability.

Best since 2012? Sure. That is not saying much. Especially with the crap Rivera and Gettleman put on the field to start last season.

Gettleman may as well say, "Look what I fell into! Don't pay any attention to what my actual plan was for the 2014 season."

we have a GM and HC who hold back the development of their players ?

I believe the Norman situation was convincing him to play within the system.

No free lancing

If we can't say this is the worst WR group right now, we can't say this is the best secondary before they play a down.

I think we were objectively worse at WR going into last year, even though we're still pretty bad. 

1st round graded WR: We were spoiled by Kelvin's rookie year, but no one really saw it coming. Instead we were looking at Jerricho Cotchery as our number 1 guy. Still, give 2014 the edge due to Kelvin actually being a first rounder. 

Cotchery is a wash. Could say he's another year older and all but he's arguably looked better this preseason than most of last year. 

But the rest...

Year 2 of Philly. Yeah he's struggled, but the coaches are obviously seeing something in order to name him a starter. Won't be hard to top his 2014 numbers either. 

Ginn over Avant is a definite upgrade, with the added bonus of Ginn not being the same type of player as 3 of our 4 other receivers. 

Norwood vs. Bersin: I like Bersin, but there's a reason he lost his spot to a guy with only two catches as a Panther. He kinda is what he is, but Norwood has a lot of promise. 

So going into the year we're in better shape at 3 of 5 receiver positions at worst.

we have a GM and HC who hold back the development of their players ?

I believe the Norman situation was convincing him to play within the system.

No free lancing

Bingo! Norman had all the talent, but he was doing what he wanted. His stubbornness cost us the Buffalo game. He just had to be humble and play like the coaches wanted him to play.

his job as a starter, definitely...but his talent and potential kept him on the roster. he wasn't going to get cut.

game is largely mental....I personally think he came close to being gone.  He wouldn't of been able to go back to the doghouse for a 3rd time IMO. 

I still think he will be a streaky great player...not consistent great.   

his job as a starter, definitely...but his talent and potential kept him on the roster. he wasn't going to get cut.

How quickly you all forget.

He was competing for the final CB spot on the 53 man roster with Josh Thomas. He beat out Josh Thomas and was in Rivera's dog house until Rivera was forced to play him due to the failure of Rivera's top 3 CBs in 2014.

Archived