• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Plan for Star

Jeremy Igo

you expect depth to be starting caliber? please. no team in the NFL is three deep at every postion with starting caliber players. 

i consider "good depth" to consist of players that shouldnt start, but could if need be (or could fill in adequately when the starter needs a rest). 

my whole post was meant to show you that the Panthers' roster is filled with guys that can fill in for a few snaps, or (in many cases) a game or two, without much drop off.

your point about stripping away the starters and asking if the team would win is ill-advised. No team in the NFL could do that and win games. im not even sure how to answer that point.

If you settle for mediocre, you get 2nd place at best. Good plan for NOT winning a championship. Teams like the Patriots, Packers, and Seahawks have players who can step into a starting role tomorrow and make plays to change a game.

Addison and Horton are terrible. Kony Ealy still has some glaring weaknesses in the running game and being disciplined on his pass rush to control the running lanes for the QB. Edwards and Cole are mediocre. Kyle Love should get a chance over Cole and Edwards to show if he has the ability to make plays. You know the others will be targeted and exploited. They have proven that over the years.

AJ Klein, Ben Jacobs, Roman Harper, Dean Marlowe, all the WRs, Chris Scott, Nate Chandler, Amini Silatolu, Ed Dickson, Richie Brockel, and Brandon Williams are all liabilities when they take the field in a game. Most have proven themselves liabilities over 3+ seasons, but they are still on the roster and allowed to take the field on game day.

You look at teams like the Patriots, Packers, and Seahawks and you are hard pressed to locate a single liability on their 2nd team. Plug them in and they are ready to start and make plays. That is how you build a champion.

Now you can compare the Panthers to the Browns, Bucs, or Raiders and say they are better, but that proves that you belong with the worst and may be slightly better. If that is where you hold your standard for an NFL team, then you are fine with just making the playoffs at best.

I want a Super Bowl for this team and with the current CBA there is only one formula to build a sustainable champion. Every other way has a window of 4 to 5 years at most. The Panthers have 2 to 3 more season before they need to rebuild, but they are not even close to competing with the Seahawks or Packers to take over the NFC. They have their hands full keeping pace with the Falcons and Saints.

i stopped reading right there. you obviously watched no preseason, and havent been following Panther football if you think Addison is terrible.

Go back and watch the Steelers and Ravens games from last season. You can see more throughout the season, but those 2 games are painful enough. Everyone but Charles Johnson got destroyed on that DL. And Klein had permanent grass stains on his back for the rest of the season. Kuechly and Davis had 2 to 3 blockers on them all the time. Horrible DL. Definite liability. Still seeing the same problems in the preseason from the same players.

Go back and watch the Steelers and Ravens games from last season

try harder. this season is all that matters and Addison has played well.

listen, im too busy to argue with someone who doesnt watch the team. i was at nearly every training camp practice. i watched every preseason game. i followed Igo and Voth througout the process, and took into account the opinions of respected Huddlers. ive done my homework. and i am not basing my judgment of Addison's play (or anyone elses) off of last season. football is a "what have you done for me lately" sport, and overall, our depth has played pretty damn good in this preseason

if you are unwilling to judge a football player by what he is doing now and has done in recent games, i cant help you and dont have time to continue this conversation.

listen, im too busy to argue with someone who doesnt watch the team. i was at nearly every training camp practice. i watched every preseason game. i followed Igo and Voth througout the process, and took into account the opinions of respected Huddlers. ive done my homework. and i am not basing my judgment of Addison's play (or anyone elses) off of last season. football is a "what have you done for me lately" sport, and overall, our depth has played pretty damn good in this preseason

if you are unwilling to judge a football player by what he is doing now and has done in recent games, i cant help you and dont have time to continue this conversation.

Then rewatch the first half of the Patriots preseason game where both Addison and Horton were put on their backs and made no impact against the pass or run. They were garbage against the Patriots OL. Spent too much time on the ground.

That is the lately. Glad they looked like All Pros in practice. Too bad it does not carry over to the games.

Anyone thinking that Star not being in (especially for run D) is no big deal is deluding themselves.  We may be able to make do with good gameplanning, but the preseason showed a mixed bag with respect to DLine play at best.  We will absolutely need Star as the season progresses.  Until then, we'll have to make up that difference with a heavy rotation of players not named Short or Johnson.

I remember when Tyler Brayton looked line an unstoppable machine in the preseason.  That sure a heck translated well into the regular season.

Preseason is, for the most part, a terrible way to evaluate how good a player is.  Schemes on both offense and defense for all teams are typically vanilla, even in the 3rd preseason game.  Addison isn't bad, but he's a one dimensional speed rusher who is undersized vs the run.  Our depth is OK.

Archived