• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

LOL..... Jags.....

Jeremy Igo

As I recall, Barron, Fletcher Cox, Dontari Poe, Stephen Gilmore, Michael Brockers and Quinton Coples all had their backers.

If I'm remembering correctly, Coples was actually a pretty popular choice here.

I def wanted Gilmore and I think he has been ok but he is no Luke

To be fair if the guy didn't have issues he has the talent to be a very good receiver. He started slow in his rookie year before picking up and playing pretty well, and considering he had Blaine Gabbert as his QB his stats were decent for a rookie [64 receptions, 865 yards, 5 TDs]. When he came back from his first suspension he played very well and showed why the Jaguars drafted him fifth overall [4 games: 29 receptions, 415 yards, 1 TD], and that was with Chad Henne throwing to him!

So while it is true that he has been a bust because his off field issues have led to him being out of the league, there is no disputing his talent. He was well worth the fifth overall pick at the time, and if he didn't have issues, or he could have overcome them, then he could have developed into a legitimate number #1 receiver for the Jaguars. It's a shame he has wasted his talent. 

I thought Clairborne and Barron were both going to be stars.  I was mad when Tampa took Barron.  I didn't think Kuechly was an awful pick b/c I already had doubts about Beason being able to stay healthy, but I certainly thought we had higher needs.  I really thought initially he was going to be a lot closer to Dan Connor than the DROY, DPOY, and potential future HOFer he is.

Say what you will about the Hurnster, and he deserved a lot of it, but his last 2 top draft picks were franchise changing.

I just can't believe how well hidden his issues were in the national media leading up to the draft.  Everyone was reporting him as pretty much a squeaky clean kid.  Evidently some teams knew he had some issues and did some digging into it including one team hiring a PI to hang out in his favorite bar to figure out how often he was in attendance, but by and large it simply wasn't reported on in the media.

Hurney almost always made a solid 1st round pick.  Most Hurney 1st rounders that didn't work out were due to durability issues, not on field ability.  It was his inability to hit after the 1st round that made him an overall poor drafter.  His 2nd round failures are pretty unreal.  Most teams do better with UDFAs than Hurney did with 2nd rounders.

Archived