• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers - Jaguars - What Jaguar Fans Are Saying

Jeremy Igo

the team was 21st in points allowed. IF you were to take away the points our opposition scored off of pick sixes or shotty special teams, well I counted something like 80 points that the defense had little or nothing to do with. 

So if you are going to go by stats to make a counter argument, at least go by what the defense was responsible for.

Okay, go look into DVOA, per drive averages for D in yardage and scoring, and all the other aspects out there to evaluate a defense....

I am using lots and lots of varying stats......against one stat when I voice that view.

on the YEAR we were middle of the road.  At the END of the season, we were strong.  The point...is you can't expect week 1 Rivera to have this team together.  It takes him weeks and weeks and weeks to get things right.

So I'm not going to go around posting "Carolina week 1 final score will be 45-0 the Jags blow!".  That ain't even talking football at that level of homerism. 

Okay, go look into DVOA, per drive averages for D in yardage and scoring, and all the other aspects out there to evaluate a defense....

I am using lots and lots of varying stats......against one stat when I voice that view.

on the YEAR we were middle of the road.  At the END of the season, we were strong.  The point...is you can't expect week 1 Rivera to have this team together.  It takes him weeks and weeks and weeks to get things right.

So I'm not going to go around posting "Carolina week 1 final score will be 45-0 the Jags blow!".  That ain't even talking football at that level of homerism. 

I would never suggest a Panthers team win 45-0 and I do agree we need to start off fast because this year. We wont have the opportunity to be terrible and make a little run at the the end of the year because I think the NFCS will put two teams back in the playoffs like most years, probably more than any other division.

I do believe points allowed is a better indicator of a defense rather than yards. The main reason I said that is because last year was ridiculous how bad our offense and special teams put our defense in and saying we were 21st in points allowed as a team isnt a good representation of the defense's performance. After last season, I went back and tried to calculate how many points the offense and ST gave up and that includes like ints or kr into the red zone that ended up being a FG or TD that counted against the defense. And I remember coming up with around 80, take even half of that away and our defense would have been top 10-12 in scoring defense. Roughly 40 points is probably about average points allowed by most teams from an offense or ST.

I'm expecting a low scoring game where the Panthers barely squeak out a W. Something like 17-16, where the Panthers score a couple TDs going hurry up no-huddle offense, or as I like to call it the no-Shula offense.

I agree, something that looks like the Tampa games from last year.  Panthers dominate the whole game, but only barely squeak out a win on the scoreboard.

While you're right, you have to account for the ground we gained last year and the significant personnel changes that lead to the improvement, we haven't lost any of those guys on defense. I expect the O to struggle some, but Jax's D is soft and I fully expect our D to return to form with Norman and Coleman now starting over the likes of White and Cason.

While you're right, you have to account for the ground we gained last year and the significant personnel changes that lead to the improvement, we haven't lost any of those guys on defense. I expect the O to struggle some, but Jax's D is soft and I fully expect our D to return to form with Norman and Coleman now starting over the likes of White and Cason.

Star is still a question mark, even CJ said he needed to those preseason reps he didn't get. Can't expect the DL to be in late season form of last year out the gate....and when that front isn't on it creates problems.

Harper and Tillman both have legit questions in terms of handling speed at this stage.  That is half the secondary.   Coleman is still largely a question mark.  Norman can be great....but we still don't know if he had a season of constantly being that in him and not a dummy.

so I easily could see a similar defensive start as last year.  Might take awhile to get healthy up front and adjusted....and the secondary to prove themselves.  

Archived