• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers cut Jarrett Boykin

Jeremy Igo

OK so I'm all for Bersins steady hands but one thing no one ever mentions is the fact he gets stuffed at the line and defenders easily hamper him. Even with sure hands how is he good if he can't get off the line clean or get uncovered easily?

he basically is the guy who can occasionally get on the field as the 3 or 4 and if no one really pays him attention can catch a ball

My problem is less with cutting Boykin than it is with keeping Bersin over Boykin. If they think we can do better than Boykin, then it goes without say that we can do much better than Bersin. Boykin has the upper hand in just about every way legitimate way to compare them. Performance this preseason? Boykin easily. Bersin has what, 2 catches so far?  Past performance? Boykin by a mile. He had a productive season two years ago, and last year was stuck behind Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, etc. Bersin's claim to fame is a season of like 100 yards last year, stuck behind the likes of Jerricho Cotchery, Philly Brown (and KB). 

So like I said earlier, if we get rid of Bersin then I can see where Gettleman (and Ron) might be going with this. Keeping Bersin but getting rid of Boykin is beyond ludicrous. 

Seeing a lot of Boykin did nothing last year. You realize he was behind 3 receivers, all of which are better than every receiver we have with the only known exception being KB.

2 of those 3 were better than KB too last year

My problem is less with cutting Boykin than it is with keeping Bersin over Boykin. If they think we can do better than Boykin, then it goes without say that we can do much better than Bersin. Boykin has the upper hand in just about every way legitimate way to compare them. Performance this preseason? Boykin easily. Bersin has what, 2 catches so far?  Past performance? Boykin by a mile. He had a productive season two years ago, and last year was stuck behind Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, etc. Bersin's claim to fame is a season of like 100 yards last year, stuck behind the likes of Jerricho Cotchery, Philly Brown (and KB). 

So like I said earlier, if we get rid of Bersin then I can see where Gettleman (and Ron) might be going with this. Keeping Bersin but getting rid of Boykin is beyond ludicrous. 

I agree with what you said, but I think cutting Boykin had to be a personality fit problem over his skill or talent. Cam didn't throw him a single pass during a preseason game, which was surprising. I saw the writing on the wall then. It happens...

This is somewhat surprising. He's been one of our best performers this preseason, yet he's been kept behind, and now cut, instead of the likes of Corey Brown, Bersin, Mike Brown, and Bryd. I thought he deserved a shot with the 1s with how he's performed to see what he could do, but our coaching staff has other ideas and must prefer the other receivers on the roster. Hopefully they have made the right decision, but I could see Boykin heading to another team and doing ok.

I agree with what you said, but I think cutting Boykin had to be a personality fit problem over his skill or talent. Cam didn't throw him a single pass during a preseason game, which was surprising. I saw the writing on the wall then. It happens...

How many times has Boykin been on the field at the same time as Cam? [I can't remember, I'd have to go back and rewatch the games!]

If it's down to a personality fit, it would be interesting to know why he didn't fit in. The kids got the talent to be on the roster. 

Every one of our receivers is the personification of JAG, except Funchess where it's too early to tell. So I'm pretty meh about Boykin getting the axe. Whatever. Our passing game with or without him was going to fuging suck regardless because we don't have much talent there with KB being out.

Anyways, barring picking up an actual established/good WR that's let go, it seems we're looking at some mix of Ginn, Funchess and Cotchery as our prime group, with Brown, Bersin and Norwood rounding out the bottom of the pile.

Archived