• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers cut Jarrett Boykin

Jeremy Igo

I assume you mean the Dolphins game?

Boykin got 6 receptions out of 12 targets for 53 yards.

Mike Brown (obligatory: who?) got 5 receptions out of 6 targets for 58 yards in the same game.

Look I wish the guy well, but this flipping out over his release is just silly. I'll leave it at that.

yeah, but you can't go strictly by box scores....that leaves a lot unsaid IMO.

No one is flipping out in reality.  We didn't choose the Panther-Life, the Panther-life chose us.

No one wants to talk about it with me but I think what likely could lose us games early more than anything our D playing great and old man Harper out there.....I still maintain I wish Brady would have hit that WR that burned him so badly for a TD.  would have brought more attention to just how slow the guy now is.

yeah, but you can't go strictly by box scores....that leaves a lot unsaid IMO.

No one is flipping out in reality.  We didn't choose the Panther-Life, the Panther-life chose us.

No one wants to talk about it with me but I think what likely could lose us games early more than anything our D playing great and old man Harper out there.....I still maintain I wish Brady would have hit that WR that burned him so badly for a TD.  would have brought more attention to just how slow the guy now is.

Sure, but isn't that what your basically doing by referencing the Boykins potential in the third game third game as justification for keeping him? Using the box score?

Our coaches and GM have seen each player through hundreds of combined practice and preseason snaps and have each others differing opinions to factor in. Doesn't mean their call is gospel, but it does mean their basing it off solid amounts of observation and experience. 

fug it lets just use the 2 TE base set Cam used his rookie year....our TEs are way better than the WRs and Cam was sick in that offense.

Makes too much sense for Shula to use it though...."It works? Get that poo outta my playbook"
(see the lack of the no huddle offense)(we'll run it once a game score a TD and sit on that TD)

Sure, but isn't that what your basically doing by referencing the Boykins potential in the third game third game as justification for keeping him? Using the box score?

Our coaches and GM have seen each player through hundreds of combined practice and preseason snaps and have each others differing opinions to factor in. Doesn't mean their call is gospel, but it does mean their basing it off solid amounts of observation and experience. 

I'm using what I watched with my eyes and what I saw during a football game. 

So in his years in Carolina....I think Ron has earned that his depth chart decisions can be questioned....Coaches are human.  I think they get caught up in certain players too much.   To the point it becomes a flaw.  

I think most football people if they watched Bersin vs Boykin.....Boykin would have the higher ceiling in their eyes.  I think Bersin has other things going for him that get him the spot....I disagree.  Won't matter.  Big picture, I think this staff has displayed some pretty obvious errors in how they stack there depth chart b/c of letting "other factors" carry more weight.  The Boykin/Bersin example fortunately is an insignificant example of it.   Roman Harper for example, could be one of those this year.....where he gets roasted over and over and over and Ron painfully just stands by.  No indication our team seems the least bit concerned about having an even slower version of Harper chillin out there all season at SS. 

and football is no different than any other professions....you name the profession and there is someone doing something pretty obvious to those outside the profession that is whack.  Bersin/Boykin really isn't a big deal....it really isn't.  I think only reason it bothers me is b/c each season that goes by I question Ron as a coach a little more....and I was one of the biggest Ron supporters.

Boykin must have criticized Shula's playcalling or Rivera's favoritism and got on the bad side with them like Avant did. This FO and coaching staff continues to amaze me (and not in a good way). Boykin was the only damn person catching anything all preseason, yet we keep Bersin, Brown, and godamn Norwood who we havn't even seen play yet over him. SMDH on this one.

I'm not going to read 13 pages but I'm sure you guys know I've been pulling for Boykin and voicing my opinions on him since we signed him.

Why keep Norwood over Boykin? Same player you say? Wasn't he about to be cut by Seattle? Boykin has been with the team since the beginning of FA, should know the playbook by now, has shown he has a connection with at least Anderson and should with Cam...but that's not important you say? Isn't that why Bersin was picked to stay? Knows the system? Mr. Reliable with his 13 catches last year? That's like saying he's going to break records cause he caught everything thrown his way....13 times.

I'm going to laugh my ass off when Boykin goes to GB has a great season and tears our secondary when we play them. And we will be applauding when Corey and Bersin make a combines 400 yards again this coming season and gush about their potential next year again. 

Dude Jarrett, chill. I know its gotta be a bummer getting let go and stuff, but you really weren't anything special.

Hah, I never thought Boykin was or should have been our #1WR. If we had KB healthy and Devin he could be a good #3 here. He's much better than Corey and Bersin and we will see shortly when we get no production from those guys and Ted Ginn is our #1 

I'm using what I watched with my eyes and what I saw during a football game. 

So in his years in Carolina....I think Ron has earned that his depth chart decisions can be questioned....Coaches are human.  I think they get caught up in certain players too much.   To the point it becomes a flaw.  

I think most football people if they watched Bersin vs Boykin.....Boykin would have the higher ceiling in their eyes.  I think Bersin has other things going for him that get him the spot....I disagree.  Won't matter.  Big picture, I think this staff has displayed some pretty obvious errors in how they stack there depth chart b/c of letting "other factors" carry more weight.  The Boykin/Bersin example fortunately is an insignificant example of it.   Roman Harper for example, could be one of those this year.....where he gets roasted over and over and over and Ron painfully just stands by.  No indication our team seems the least bit concerned about having an even slower version of Harper chillin out there all season at SS. 

and football is no different than any other professions....you name the profession and there is someone doing something pretty obvious to those outside the profession that is whack.  Bersin/Boykin really isn't a big deal....it really isn't.  I think only reason it bothers me is b/c each season that goes by I question Ron as a coach a little more....and I was one of the biggest Ron supporters.

During one preseason football game. Like the previous poster noted the same kind of argument could be made of Mike Brown. 

I have my gripes against Rivera. But when you look the entirety of the team's depth its clear that Rivera and Gettlemen have a knack for it. Right now what player is #1 on depth doesn't deserve to start? What 2nd string player doesn't deserve to be there? Maybe Harper? Brown is also one, assuming he even is starting over Ginn. But that's it. Is there any coach who 100% nails every offseason depth chart?

Archived