• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tuesday NFL Cuts

Jeremy Igo

I'm not going to be able to easily do a final update on all the WR cuts.  The roster cuts tracker on NFL.com doesn't seem complete even now.  No transactions listed for Detroit.  Only 3 for Denver.  5 for New England.  I suppose Denver and New England might could have already been below 90... but in any case, it doesn't seem like the list is complete.

Here are just a few more WR names from teams whose lists have been added (Seattle) or greatly lengthened (Oakland) since I checked yesterday evening.

Oakland:

WR Josh Harper, 23 rookie, 6'1 Fresno State

WR Trindon Holliday, 29, 5th season, 5'5, LSU.  Draft 2010, 6th round Houston.  Looks like he must have played ST.  few receiving stats.

WR Kenbrell Thompkins, 27, 3d season, 6'1, Cincinnati.  26 games/15 starts (Patriots & Oakland).  53 receptions 728 yds 4 TD

WR Milton Williams III, 21 rookie, 6'2, Delaware.

Seattle

WR Deshon Foxx, 22 rookie, 5'10, connecticut

WR Deontay Greenberry, 21, rookie, 6'2, Houston

For Detroit, checking PFT, I find:

** Ryan Broyles, 27, 5'10,  Oklahoma 2012 Draft Round 2 Detroit. 

gamesrecYdsY/GAvgTDs
2012DET10223103114.11
2013DET688514.210.60
2014DET5225512.5

receiver Vernon Johnson, 23, rookie, 6'0, Texas A&M-Commerce

receiver Andrew Peacock, 24, 5'10, Appalachian State

Seems like I'm still missing a few teams that were added last night:

Houston

WR Alan Bonner, 24, 3rd season, 5'10  no stats.  Draft 2013: Round 6, Houston

WR Jace Davis, 24, 1st season, 6'1, no stats

WR Travis Labhart 24, 1st season, 5'9, Texas A&M

New Orleans

*WR Nick Toon 26, 4th season, 6'4, Wisconsin, Draft 2012: Round 4 New Orleans.  16 games, 21 rec  283 yds, 1 TD

WR R.J. Harris, 23, rookie, 6'0, New Hampshire

WR Lance Lewis 26, 1st season, 6'2, East Carolina.  3 games Washington 2013.  No stats.

St. Louis

WR Tyler Slavin 23, rookie, 6'1, New Mexico

**WR Damian Williams 27, 6th season 6'1, USC.  Draft 2010.  Round 3 - Tennessee

GamesStartsRecYdsTD
2014St. Louis Rams20------
2014Miami Dolphins101140
2013Tennessee Titans101151780
2012Tennessee Titans132303240
2011Tennessee Titans1513455925
2010Tennessee Titans161162190
 TOTAL  1071,3275

Lest anyone start salivating at the thought of New Orleans Nick Toon

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7458/nick-toon

Saints waived/injured WR Nick Toon.
Waived/injured will send Toon through waivers before landing him on season-ending injured reserve. He could then be outright waived when he returns to health. Toon caught just two preseason passes for 11 yards before going down in the second exhibition game. He never really put any heat on Brandon Coleman for No. 3 duties, even though Coleman has had a middling summer. Sep 1 - 2:55 PM

Deontay Greenberry is a name I remember some people mentioning. Cut by the Seahawks.

5 star recruit out of high school that had some pre draft buzz due to his athleticism and big numbers from the pass happy Houston offense but he had a terrible pro day or combine, went undrafted and has now been cut by both the Cowboys and Seahawks so far this preseason. Getting cut twice before the final cut down is a terrible sign. At best, he is a practice squad guy that you hope develops into something after a year or two and it might be worth it to do that, but he's definitely not a candidate for the 53 man roster.

5 star recruit out of high school that had some pre draft buzz due to his athleticism and big numbers from the pass happy Houston offense but he had a terrible pro day or combine, went undrafted and has now been cut by both the Cowboys and Seahawks so far this preseason. Getting cut twice before the final cut down is a terrible sign. At best, he is a practice squad guy that you hope develops into something after a year or two and it might be worth it to do that, but he's definitely not a candidate for the 53 man roster.

Damn, I forgot that he was actually picked up by Dallas first. Remember though, that Greenberry had/has been dealing with the trial of the death of his father. Perhaps he wasn't as committed or focused. Just a thought.

Missed this yesterday, but the Raiders cut James Dockery. This is relevant to our compensatory pick situation. This leaves Byron Bell and Greg Hardy as the only UFAs we "lost," which puts us in a hole given that we signed 3.

Nothing is definite with the mysterious compensatory pick formula, but it's largely accepted that gaining as many or more UFAs as you lost = no compensatory picks. 

The only chance we have is to cut two of Coleman, Trusnik, and Tillman, and hope Bell survives the next round of cuts. Basically, it's not happening. 

Archived